GDT: Official 2017 #hcanes NCAA Football Thread

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
The 5 big conferences winners, and 3 at large bids for 8 team playoff format is what’s needed.

I wanted a playoff without Bama and Ohio to create that push

Agreed. An 8-team playoff needs to happen, and IMO it needs to happen sooner rather than later. It would take out at least 99.9% of the controversy because the teams that we'd be arguing about are going to be the 6th-8th ranked teams in the country, at best. None of the real top teams would be left out AND it gives the Group of 5 schools you know, a chance to get in the CFP, because this year proves that any school not in a P5 conference will never even sniff the top 4.

Take this year for example:
1. Clemson vs. 8. UCF
2. Oklahoma vs. 7. Wisconsin
3. Georgia vs. 6. USC
4. Alabama vs. 5. Ohio State

Who'd we be arguing about for the 7-8 seeds? A 3-loss Auburn? 2-loss Washington? 3-loss Notre Dame? AKA teams who have nothing to complain about.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Agreed. An 8-team playoff needs to happen, and IMO it needs to happen sooner rather than later. It would take out at least 99.9% of the controversy because the teams that we'd be arguing about are going to be the 6th-8th ranked teams in the country, at best. None of the real top teams would be left out AND it gives the Group of 5 schools you know, a chance to get in the CFP, because this year proves that any school not in a P5 conference will never even sniff the top 4.

Like this year:

Clemson, UGA, OU, OSU, USC
Bama?, Wisconsin?, UCF?

I mean, the arguments for the 3 wouldn’t be as critical as just win your conference and you’re in.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I think Oklahoma's the favorite.

If Clemson draws a 4-seed Alabama, that's not ideal, especially if they choose the Sugar Bowl.
Oklahoma the favorite? Are we watching the same teams down the stretch? I could only hope Oklahoma has as much of a chance as you think they do. Alabama is the only team Clemson hasn't thoroughly handled every time they've reached the playoffs. And Clemson finally broke through last playoffs. Given everything we know now, Clemson is still by far the favorite.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Oklahoma the favorite? Are we watching the same teams down the stretch? I could only hope Oklahoma has as much of a chance as you think they do. Alabama is the only team Clemson hasn't thoroughly handled every time they've reached the playoffs. And Clemson finally broke through last playoffs. Given everything we know now, Clemson is still by far the favorite.

Yeah, and guess who has a really good chance to be the #4 seed?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Tossup between Clemson and Bama to me, Bama's not as impressive as they were last year to me but on the other hand Clemson's offense isn't as good as it was last year either. If it's Clemson-tOSU I fully expect the Tigers to run train on them though, the Bucknuts defense is turrible.

OU steamrolls UGA IMHO. It'll look like the first Auburn-UGA game type ugly.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
F86DDF2C-B173-4F3A-BD41-1C228ABB05B3.jpeg

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Not surprised Alabama got in. Their joke of a schedule every year helps them to do so. Georgia, Oklahoma, and Clemson have no problem going to Notre Dame, Columbus, and Auburn but Alabama won't honor a home and home w/ Michigan State because Saban wants to play them in Atlanta instead of Lansing. Then of course they play schools like Mercer every week before the Iron Bowl. Auburn and other SEC schools do the same but Alabama always has a better record so it's a moot point.

But whatever, we just have to live with it until the y finally lose two games before SEC Championship week.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Pretty pleased with where the Hokies ended up. Pretty much the best case scenario with where everything ended up.

Sorry for State fans getting the Sun bowl. Tech went a few years ago. Doesn't seem like a great location for a Bowl, especially for teams from the East. Seems like it would be hard to get up for it too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad