GDT: Official 2017 #hcanes NCAA Football Thread

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Pretty pleased with where the Hokies ended up. Pretty much the best case scenario with where everything ended up.

Sorry for State fans getting the Sun bowl. Tech went a few years ago. Doesn't seem like a great location for a Bowl, especially for teams from the East. Seems like it would be hard to get up for it too.

Not even sure why the ACC is involved in that game to begin with.

Better that than the former tie-in with the bowl game in Boise? I seem to recall Clemson going there one year and losing money on the venture, fans not traveling there, and the game being in question over snow in the forecast.

South Carolina and Michigan will play each other in the Outback Bowl in a rematch of the 2012 game. It seems like so long ago that this happened

Reactions: Unsustainable

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Not even sure why the ACC is involved in that game to begin with.

Network TV, Pac-12 opponent, and unlike most bowls the Sun doesn't need a huge outlay from the teams to fill up its stadium. They do very well with locals buying tickets for the game. So it actually works well for major TV draw teams (ND, Miami), for smaller schools who may not be able to deliver a huge crowd (Duke, BC, WF, Miami) or for teams whose season may not have lived up to expectations and might have trouble drawing a huge crowd to a bowl (State 2017.)

I'm excited Wake's back in Charlotte. Will be tough to make it back from Christmas travel and get to Charlotte but I am going to try and make it work. It was fun there against UConn back in 2007. And I think one of the reasons Wake is in Charlotte over State is that Wake is excited to go to Charlotte; State would be going back for the second time in 4 months.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Network TV, Pac-12 opponent, and unlike most bowls the Sun doesn't need a huge outlay from the teams to fill up its stadium. They do very well with locals buying tickets for the game. So it actually works well for major TV draw teams (ND, Miami), for smaller schools who may not be able to deliver a huge crowd (Duke, BC, WF, Miami) or for teams whose season may not have lived up to expectations and might have trouble drawing a huge crowd to a bowl (State 2017.)

I'm excited Wake's back in Charlotte. Will be tough to make it back from Christmas travel and get to Charlotte but I am going to try and make it work. It was fun there against UConn back in 2007. And I think one of the reasons Wake is in Charlotte over State is that Wake is excited to go to Charlotte; State would be going back for the second time in 4 months.

Had Belk ended up being Wake-South Carolina I'd definitely have gone. I'm incredibly surprised the Belk Bowl hasn't drawn South Carolina at some point yet - with Columbia's proximity to Charlotte and the number of Gamecock fans in Metrolina it seems like it'd be a license to print money.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Had Belk ended up being Wake-South Carolina I'd definitely have gone. I'm incredibly surprised the Belk Bowl hasn't drawn South Carolina at some point yet - with Columbia's proximity to Charlotte and the number of Gamecock fans in Metrolina it seems like it'd be a license to print money.

They'll definitely get the Gamecocks at some point so they will pass on the season they had the Gamecocks in Charlotte in September. That makes some sense.

Charlotte might also save South Carolina for a season they end up with a team less likely to travel on the ACC side (BC, Syracuse, Pitt, etc.)

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

To be fair, it wasn't until 2014 that the Belk Bowl dropped the Big East for the SEC.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
And congrats to the Duke fans here.

App State is so underrated... I couldn't think of a better school to replace UVA/Wake Forest in the ACC.

My friend just said her party downed a tree out in front of her house in celebration. Sounds like Boone to me.

Hell anything to get Notre Dame out of the ACC (why the Big 10 didn't go after them I'm not sure, and yes I'm not including football but everything else) would be fine with me. While we're at it move Texas A&M back to the Big 12.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
App State is so underrated... I couldn't think of a better school to replace UVA/Wake Forest in the ACC.

My friend just said her party downed a tree out in front of her house in celebration. Sounds like Boone to me.
I don't see that happening any time soon. For one thing, we have nowhere near the level of prestige that the other schools do either on the field or off of it. We'd be small potatoes to those guys. For another, the ACC is a basketball-first conference, and basketball barely resisters on the radar of the average student in Boone. I'm not sure we've ever made the NCAA tournament or that making it to the dance would create more than a fleeting buzz on campus.

To me, it seems more likely that the next step would be CUSA. Our school's profile is a closer match to a lot of theirs. There's also a long-lost rivalry with Marshall from the I-AA era, and Charlotte could easily turn into one if their team were to become competitive. It's an easy day trip and there's a ton of alumni there in town. I could also see AAC, if only because ECU is already there and they would make for another natural rival.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad