NFL: 2024 NFL draft discussion thread, Draft begins 4/25 8pm, 4/26 6pm, 4/27 12pm

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Obviously the Falcons blunder is in a league all its own, but I really can’t believe the Broncos took Nix at 13 either.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Obviously the Falcons blunder is in a league all its own, but I really can’t believe the Broncos took Nix at 13 either.
What?

When did people think all these quarterbacks were going to be taken?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Very happy the Chargers took Alt now hopefully get DeJean if he falls. Otherwise double up on Oline and go Zach Frazier or Jackson Powers-Johnson

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
What?

When did people think all these quarterbacks were going to be taken?
Later in the first round when one of those teams traded back into it. I’m not surprised that Penix went in the first - though I’m shocked it was Atlanta - I was prepared for Penix’s floor to be the raiders given all the hype building around. Denver taking a guy who probably shouldn’t have been a first rounder at all that high is bad. Even with the QB tax.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Later in the first round when one of those teams traded back into it. I’m not surprised that Penix went in the first - though I’m shocked it was Atlanta - I was prepared for Penix’s floor to be the raiders given all the hype building around. Denver taking a guy who probably shouldn’t have been a first rounder at all that high is bad. Even with the QB tax.
If they don't take him, someone else after them does. Then they're going into next season with Stidham and Wilson.

Bo Nix is good enough to win games in the NFL, even if he probably lacks the talent to drag a team kicking and screaming to wins.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know why Nix would not have been a 1st round pick. The Broncos don't have a 2nd and couldn't afford to miss. QB tax or not, there is always a tax on your guy being your guy. Nix has the most starts in college history, and is in a situation perfectly suited for him to slide right in. He would've been a top 5 pick if he had any kind of wow factor.

The only surprise was that Atlanta was one of the teams, but I don't see how anyone thought any of them were going past 15 or so. I guess we don't know if the Raiders or Seahawks would have, there were no obvious indications, as they can wait until next year as well.

Reactions: LT

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I've seen some very loose speculation that this means the tampering punishment is going to result in a lost 1st rounder, and this was a Hail Mary attempt at securing their QB position after Kirk is done in a couple of years since they then can't do it next year.
I could actually see this scenario playing out. Maybe the NFL told the team a week or two ago when Schefter was saying the NFL had the investigation wrapped up and they're planning ahead.

The penalty would, however, be total bullshit. I also wouldn't have any sympathy for Cousins as it was his big mouth that got the team in trouble in the first place

Reactions: Romang67

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is more notably surprising given what the Falcons went through with Matt Ryan. The money is one thing but we have seen enough times how investing in a replacement, even if just to attempt, affects the trust dynamics of the quarterback you have. It’s likely one of the reasons Cousins left Minnesota to begin with, it’s an implicit non-commitment.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
as much as I want JPJ/Frazier. Will be nice to see the cowboys potentially land Jonathan Brooks.

Reactions: fin8

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Really like what the Vikings did today.

I've been back and forth on McCarthy but the team needed the QB and they were able to do it without giving up that second first. Seems they really tried to move up for Maye but the Patriots weren't having it. (Also called about Herbert aha).
They called the Giants bluff and then moved up a spot to make sure DEN/LV couldn't jump them and got their guy. (And they gave up essentially what I traded to move up to #9 in our mock. I traded #129 and #177. They traded #129 and #157, but got #203 back)

And I don't compare McCarthy to the reach for Ponder at all (A good comparison for that is the Broncos Nix pick).
One, McCarthy is objectively a better prospect, even if he was over drafted as well, and two, he has an offensive coach, who got the most out of scrubs like Josh Dobbs and Nick Mullens last year, and tons of talent around him. Jefferson/Addison/Hockenson/Jones and two stud tackles. Ponder had Leslie Frazier and Adrian Peterson.

Then theres Dallas Turner. I think they gave a little two much for him, you coulda kept one of the 3 picks you gave up, but at the end of the day if he pans out, no one will care about that 2nd/3rd/4th/5th. (essentially used 2 2nds* a 3rd, 4th and 5th on Turner). But you got a Top 10 talent at a premium position.

But it does leave them with only 3 picks next year. A 1st and two 5ths. But they are expected to get a comp pick or two, with one possibly in the 3rd. You could also recoup some equity with a 1st RD trade down.

*I liked the initial trade with the Texans even if some valuations said the Vikings gave up too much. I don't view 2 2nds for a 1st and a move down from 188 to 232 as that much, especially if it's a mid-2nd next year.

For reference. Here are KAM's 2-5 round picks to date below:

22:
2nd CB Andrew Booth Jr. - trending bust.
2nd G Ed Ingram - starting RG, but below average.
3rd LB Brian Asomoah - backup/special teamer.
4th CB Akayleb Evans - up and down. Benched at the end of last season.
5th DE Esezi Otomewo - cut after 1 season. On the Jags' PS.
5th RB Ty Chandler - had a few nice games at the end of '23.
(Also made an atrocious trade down in round 1 to select huge bust Lewis Cine at 32)

23:
2nd Traded for Hockenson
3rd CB Mekhi Blackmon - had an up and down rookie year.
4th DB Jay Ward - played mostly ST and had some bonehead penalties on it.
5th DT Jaquelin Roy - played sporadically as a backup. Looks like a JAG.
5th QB Jaren Hall - I'm sure you watched that GB game.

Draft picks, especially in the mid rounds are extremely hit or miss. I still think they gave too much in the move up, but like I said if Turner pans out we won't care. If he doesn't we'll be like "gave up way too much, coulda had Player X, Y and Z"

Last edited:

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
If they don't take him, someone else after them does. Then they're going into next season with Stidham and Wilson.

Bo Nix is good enough to win games in the NFL, even if he probably lacks the talent to drag a team kicking and screaming to wins.
I don't know why Nix would not have been a 1st round pick. The Broncos don't have a 2nd and couldn't afford to miss. QB tax or not, there is always a tax on your guy being your guy. Nix has the most starts in college history, and is in a situation perfectly suited for him to slide right in. He would've been a top 5 pick if he had any kind of wow factor.

The only surprise was that Atlanta was one of the teams, but I don't see how anyone thought any of them were going past 15 or so. I guess we don't know if the Raiders or Seahawks would have, there were no obvious indications, as they can wait until next year as well.
I guess we’ll see. I just think it was a major reach for a team that has a good amount of holes anyway and is absorbing a huge cap charge these next two years because they just got the QB position hilariously wrong. I get how they got there, I just don’t think it was a good move. I also don’t think much of Nix and when he’s not in a perfect eco system he’s going to look a lot like the guy at Auburn than Oregon.

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
This is more notably surprising given what the Falcons went through with Matt Ryan. The money is one thing but we have seen enough times how investing in a replacement, even if just to attempt, affects the trust dynamics of the quarterback you have. It’s likely one of the reasons Cousins left Minnesota to begin with, it’s an implicit non-commitment.

We weren't going after Deshaun Watson to learn under Matt, we were going after him to replace Matt and then shopping Matt around during the process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad