Prospect Info: [Official] 2016 Draft Thread V.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
He's been a huge part in what th St.Louis Blues are today before he moved over to Columbus.

Was Kekäläinen the assistant GM of the Blues?

Edit: Yes, he was. Wow, he's a great amateur and pro scout! Responsible for drafting a strong St. Louis core.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Don't need truculence to win a cup, always go skill first. Keller is the most skilled player at #6, and they could probably trade down and still snatch him.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
So the Oilers are supposedly going to pick Tkachuk.

Seems like Darryl Katz is stepping in again (like Yak over Murray)

Doesn't that team understand they need to improve 5 on 5 and on the PK? Their PP needs a puck mover from the back, not a scoring winger.

O'well oil going to oil. He reminds me a lot Michael Dal Colle. Put up really strong numbers on a great team in his draft year. Bad skater. Interesting to see how he does without two of the top 10 prospects on his line...

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
So the Oilers are supposedly going to pick Tkachuk.

Seems like Darryl Katz is stepping in again (like Yak over Murray)

Doesn't that team understand they need to improve 5 on 5 and on the PK? Their PP needs a puck mover from the back, not a scoring winger.

O'well oil going to oil. He reminds me a lot Michael Dal Colle. Put up really strong numbers on a great team in his draft year. Bad skater. Interesting to see how he does without two of the top 10 prospects on his line...

You are trusting a word out of Damien Cox's mouth?

Bold move.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd be happy with the Oil being married to picking Tkachuk.
That team will toil in mediocrity for the next half decade at least while having what'll be the best player in the NHL in a few short years :laugh:

It's true. Oil are gonna Oil.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
The Oilers have a bunch of LHD prospects and no good forwards in the system. No defenceman in this draft would be a justifiable pick at 4 (the way it looks now--five years from now it may be different). So it makes sense that they'd want to draft an elite forward prospect who'll be cheap for the next several years and possibly trade an expensive forward for an NHL-ready defenceman.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The Oilers have a bunch of LHD prospects and no good forwards in the system. No defenceman in this draft would be a justifiable pick at 4 (the way it looks now--five years from now it may be different). So it makes sense that they'd want to draft an elite forward prospect who'll be cheap for the next several years and possibly trade an expensive forward for an NHL-ready defenceman.

Who they draft is completely based upon what other moves they make at this point.

Originally I was convinced they were going to move #4, but now I'm more leaning towards some combination of RNH, Eberle, Drai being moved instead.

But if they fail to make any trades and pick another forward it is a cataclysmic mistake. Their fanbase doesn't have much patience left at this point.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Let's be honest, the Oilers are rebuilding the rebuild. The core is not RNH, Eberle and Yak, it's likely still Hall, but McDavid, Leon and probably Tkachuk, that's a much different look. RNH and Ebs will be moved for a premier dman.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

A cheap forward who will be for the next 3 years doesn't matter when you're team isn't a playoff team.

Penguins, Hawks, Kings, etc. need cheap young forwards.

Edmonton needs d-men, they have 1 legit top 4 d-men, that is pathetic.

I like Tkachuk, but would be fine if he went to Edmonton. Just another player they don't need.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Any of the big 3 at 4th overall is not a bad option at all. Doesn't Sergachev play the right side?

I see the Oilers keep saying they have enough LHD prospects but take a look at the Flyers' selection over the past few years.

Ghost (Left Handed)
Morin (Left Handed)
Hagg (Left Handed)
Sanheim (Left Handed)
Provorov (Left Handed).

You could make the argument that Ghost can play on the right side but point stands, when Philly needed defenseman they addressed it at the draft, whether they shoot left or right.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's funny that people still worry about handedness in today's NHL.

There are guys like Brodie throughout the league. Why are RHD always so valued :laugh:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
It's funny that people still worry about handedness in today's NHL.

There are guys like Brodie throughout the league. Why are RHD always so valued :laugh:

While I do think there is something to say about fans being obsessed with LHD vs RHD but on the other hand, it was a legit problem this year that we only had left handed shots on the PP.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
While I do think there is something to say about fans being obsessed with LHD vs RHD but on the other hand, it was a legit problem this year that we only had left handed shots on the PP.

Huh?
Wideman being force fed PP time and he's RH. Dougie down the stretch is also RH.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Huh?
Wideman being force fed PP time and he's RH. Dougie down the stretch is also RH.

First unit though had all lefties sometimes. Until we switched to more of an Umbrella style it meant almost all of our shots were only coming from half the side of the ice.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's actually good management to keep #4. Cheap ELC, expansion draft exempt and it's a good bet that Tkachuk and McDavid form a lethal combo for the next decade.

The Oilers current core as constructed, just can't win. But because of their ineptitude, they're now in a position to deal some of them (i.e. Yakupov, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins) to address other needs while still being able to replace their loss with Tkachuk.

Fortunately, neither Eberle nor Yakupov have the value to return a top pairing defenceman, even if packaged together, especially with Chiarelli as GM. While Hopkins has value, moving him would leave the Oilers hilariously inexperienced down the middle, even with a generational talent in McDavid. And the absolute best shot to acquire a quality defenceman is Hall but thankfully they still consider him part of the core and leadership group.

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
As someone who was super against drafting a D-man earlier on I've been slowly warming up to the idea. I would love the Flames to take Nylander or even Keller at no.6 but I really do think the Flames aren't sold on either guy. Flames take who they believe is the best Dman at 6 and our D core will be so deep with talent. That being said I still find it hard not to take Nylander, especially the way the league is going. Flames still need to add another young forward piece if they want to really contend in the next few years and who knows when they will be picking this high again. Basically I'm even more conflicted than I was a month ago :help:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
As someone who was super against drafting a D-man earlier on I've been slowly warming up to the idea. I would love the Flames to take Nylander or even Keller at no.6 but I really do think the Flames aren't sold on either guy. Flames take who they believe is the best Dman at 6 and our D core will be so deep with talent. That being said I still find it hard not to take Nylander, especially the way the league is going. Flames still need to add another young forward piece if they want to really contend in the next few years and who knows when they will be picking this high again. Basically I'm even more conflicted than I was a month ago :help:

Agreed.

Previously I had a, "I wan't these 2-3 guys or I'll be upset."

It has probably expanded to nearly 7-8 players I wouldn't mind to obtain. I think I just don't care as much any more. They're all good options based on where we are drafting.

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
Agreed.

Previously I had a, "I wan't these 2-3 guys or I'll be upset."

It has probably expanded to nearly 7-8 players I wouldn't mind to obtain. I think I just don't care as much any more. They're all good options based on where we are drafting.

Same, picking 6 this year is probably the most intriguing pick in the draft as it really seems the top 5 has solidified itself, which I think is good because honestly I'm not sold on Tkachuk and I am still a bit iffy on PLD because of where he plays. I think the top 12 of this draft is very good and the Flames will get an excellent prospect without a doubt, I just wish it was a little more clear on what the Flames will do as there are so many different ways they can go at that pick, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Oilers taking Tkachuk is not nearly as bad as most make it seem. Contrary to popular belief they do have some decent young defencemen, they need a sure thing, not another future. Best bet to get that is by moving a current forward.

Tkachuk brings something they lack up front anyways, even though I don't think he's a great player, he still brings something they lack. All they have are skilled, soft top 6 guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad