Line Combos: Offensive line combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So reading reports out of traverse city, along with how he's played against men in the WC, and among his peers at the WJC, it seems like KJ is back to being a lock (or close to it) in most peoples eyes.

So this gets a bit messy:

Locks: Gaudreau, Laine, Jenner, Nyquist, Roslovic, Voracek, Kuraly, Sillinger, Robinson, Johnson

10 locks. 2 regular spots left in the lineup and maybe one or two extra spots for a handful of guys fighting for spots (Marchenko, Chinakhov, Danforth, Bemstrom, Olivier, Gaunce, Meyer, Foudy, Luuto)

I think Danforth is a lock personally. He's very well respected by Larsen and brings a nice jack of all trades skillset to the bottom 6. That doesn't mean he's going to always be a lineup regular, but I think he's on the roster.

I also believe that Marchenko didn't sign here to play in the AHL. Not long term at least. I could see a scenario where he starts in Cleveland to get his feet wet before coming up here (basically what they did with Chinakhov last year). But in the end, I do think his two way game has shown up well enough that he'll just flat out make the roster out of camp.

So that takes up all the "regular" lineup spots. We have a possibility of keeping two extra forwards, but I think it's likely we just keep one and keep the next guy on standby.

Foudy, Olivier, Bemstrom, Gaunce, Luuto, and Meyer all require waivers. Chinakhov does not. For this reason, I think Chinakhov would have to explode in the preseason to earn a spot. For now, I think he starts in Cleveland.

I think the organization will have to decide between losing one of Foudy or Bemstrom to waivers. I don't think they'll mind too much if Gaunce, Olivier or Luuto gets claimed, which I doubt they will. Meyer is a wild card, but I don't think he's as valuable as Bemstrom or Foudy would be on the waiver wire.

If they decide to keep two extra forwards, I could see both Foudy and Bemstrom sticking around, but I also could see one still getting waived and one of Olivier or Luuto making the team for the muscle/physicality they would bring against a bigger team.

So for now, pre-preseason my forward lineup is

Gaudreau-Sillinger-Laine
Johnson-Jenner-Marchenko
Nyquist-Roslovic-Voracek
Robinson-Kuraly-Danforth
Bemstrom, Olivier

Waived: Foudy, Meyer,Luuto, Gaunce

The D and G lineups are pretty much already set with personnel.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Personally I don't think any of Sillinger, Johnson, Marchenko & Chinakhov are locks. None of them also require waivers and none of them are really in a situation where NHL is the only viable option for their development. I guess if Marchenko looks any good at camp, he'll get a spot to start out, or at least some games pretty early in the season. I think maybe two of them get spots after camp and expect to see some rotation during the season.

The situation with guys who require waivers is you really gotta make up your mind if you're willing to risk losing them, so I fully expect at least Danforth and Bemström in the lineup starting out, maybe also Robinson. I think Larsen is really high on Danforth. Bemström has always looked like a usable roster player to me when he's got a chance - to me there's not really much between him and Robinson, but Bemström is only 23 so there's more upside there.

Gaunce & Foudy to me are totally replacable guys as far as their on-ice impact goes. Luoto is not probably any better, in fact chances are he's worse, but at least he's a wild card and had good Liiga playoffs last year, so assuming there's no clear separation at camp and it comes down to keeping just one of those three, I'd guess Luoto because even if he's worse than the other two, you really haven't lost much in taking a gamble. Besides at the start of the season, I'm not sure any of them would get claimed on waivers anyway.

Since the signing of Gudbranson, I have a hard time seeing Olivier get NHL time.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So for now, pre-preseason my forward lineup is

Gaudreau-Sillinger-Laine
Johnson-Jenner-Marchenko
Nyquist-Roslovic-Voracek
Robinson-Kuraly-Danforth
Bemstrom, Olivier

Waived: Foudy, Meyer,Luuto, Gaunce

The D and G lineups are pretty much already set with personnel.

There's no chance that I'm waiving Bemstrom or Foudy. Give them a chance and let someone else go down or sit.

On another note, I have my doubts that Sillinger will have the speed yet to fill in on the top line. I'd sooner consider putting KJ there. If he can handle enough center duties, that makes the upside for the line much higher than with any other possible center. Probably too early but hypothetically:

Gaudreau - Johnson - Laine
Voracek - Roslovic - Bemstrom
Nyquist - Sillinger - Jenner
Robinson - Kuraly - Foudy
Danforth
Marchenko

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Don't forget Foudy was injured the last season and he was 20-21 in the 200/21 season. Besides he had some very good games and he played excellent in Cleveland. So it's very early to write him off. Besides, he's at least as good as Danforth if not better and one is a player who will go all the way in battle/forchecking. Also he's excellent in PK.

Something similar we can say about Bemmer too. It's difficult to show own potential if a player is often injured.

To Chinakhov. He is very talented and one has get experiences. I think Yegor will be stronger.This same we can say about Sillinger who will play in the roster.

So, our situation:

- good veterans for TOP 6: Gaudreeau, Voracek, Nyquist, Jenner
- young guys with experiences for TOP 6: Laine, Roslovic, Sillinger, Chinakhov + Bemstrom
- young guys without experiences for TOP 6: Johnson, Marchenko + Foudy

+ I think Bemmer and Foudy would play in TOP 6 but they must be health to show it. Don't forget how we underrated Marchessault and Karlsson.

I think they're very pleasant thoughts for Lars. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Personally I don't think any of Sillinger, Johnson, Marchenko & Chinakhov are locks. None of them also require waivers and none of them are really in a situation where NHL is the only viable option for their development. I guess if Marchenko looks any good at camp, he'll get a spot to start out, or at least some games pretty early in the season. I think maybe two of them get spots after camp and expect to see some rotation during the season.
Larsen has pretty much already said Sillinger is a lock. Plus he played a major role here last year and isn't getting much push from behind on other centers, unless you count Johnson. Sillinger is as much of a lock as Roslovic is IMO.

There's no chance that I'm waiving Bemstrom or Foudy. Give them a chance and let someone else go down or sit.

On another note, I have my doubts that Sillinger will have the speed yet to fill in on the top line. I'd sooner consider putting KJ there. If he can handle enough center duties, that makes the upside for the line much higher than with any other possible center. Probably too early but hypothetically:
Yeah, I could see us waiving Olivier and keeping both Foudy and Bemmer a extras. Depends on how well they play and how much Jarmo trusts the team to play bigger.

I just want to see Sillinger with those guys. If he can't keep up, then you put Jenner there. I just think Jenner could really help KJ and Marchenko get up to speed and help their adjustment. If you recall, silly was nearly the #1 C out of camp last year.

Reactions: Ippenator

FromChaos22

Jan 10, 2008
Los Angeles

Danforth
Marchenko
That top line pretty soft against other team's top lines. I think you gotta put a different center if they're playing with Gaudreau and Laine, right?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Danforth
Marchenko
Johnson can only play in the line with Gaudreau and Laine if Patrik plays aggressive at boards, corners, in front of the net, using his body not only on holidays known just to him but always. Simply, like the power-forward.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Larsen has pretty much already said Sillinger is a lock. Plus he played a major role here last year and isn't getting much push from behind on other centers, unless you count Johnson. Sillinger is as much of a lock as Roslovic is IMO.

I don't know if you remember but in the exit meeting video, Sillinger says he is going to approach this season like he is just trying to make the team, and Lars' reaction was something like "Uh, I think you're good", with a chuckle.

Yeah, I could see us waiving Olivier and keeping both Foudy and Bemmer a extras. Depends on how well they play and how much Jarmo trusts the team to play bigger.

I just want to see Sillinger with those guys. If he can't keep up, then you put Jenner there. I just think Jenner could really help KJ and Marchenko get up to speed and help their adjustment. If you recall, silly was nearly the #1 C out of camp last year.

Leaving aside "keeping up", I don't think Silly ever displayed the passing ability that I'd want to fit there. I think Silly could score a boat load of goals next to Gaudreau but I don't know if he has the all around tools to actually make the line better. But perhaps that will come this year too.

That top line pretty soft against other team's top lines. I think you gotta put a different center if they're playing with Gaudreau and Laine, right?

They won't play all "top lines". A lot of matchup units.

But to answer your question, I'm not sure. KJ is getting so much better at winning puck battles and maintaining possession. What I want the most is someone who can extend offensive zone plays and set up Johnny and Patty. The more time we have the puck the less opponents top players will. But yes, in the defensive zone, someone heavier would be better at it. I don't know if KJ will be able to handle that. He currently can't win a draw so you definitely don't give him D-zone starts at center.

Johnson can only play in the line with Gaudreau and Laine if Patrik plays aggressive at boards, corners, in front of the net, using his body not only on holidays known just to him but always. Simply, like the power-forward.

It would be interesting to see who is first into the corners if that trio hits the ice. Maybe no one!

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I think you misread me. I argued that Nyquist should cost much less to move than Monahan did. Not a 1st at all.

Would you have preferred to move Bjorkstrand over moving Bean or one of our other players making more than $1.5m?

The point of my post was that we didn't have to move Nyquist or Bjorkstrand, I just gave you a cap compliant 23 man roster with both of them on it, funny how you're ignoring that.

And since Bjorkstrand couldn't possibly be moved next year we had to give him away for nothing now? Like Calgary isn't going to be able to keep everyone in 2023-24 when the new contracts kick in, so trade Mangiapane now for 3rd and 4th round picks?

It's funny. For a week my position actually was like "it's just an unusual market this year and we had to clear $4m+". Then I opened up armchair GM and we had to move less than half of that, and the Monahan dump just went for a typical price. I wish I wasn't the only one looking at the numbers here. I think folks would get it if they tried pencilling it out.

It was a lot more comfortable believing we had to do it. I think the denial is coming from folks who can't handle the fact that we didn't have to.

Thats very good point. Why couldn't Jarmo solve this problem later, like it was not option trade someone (Bjorkstrand) after this year and he had to do it now. It does not make sense. and yes the trade feel still odd to me. Maybe there was more involved we have been told.

I miss Bjorkstrand too but man this is getting ridiculous. Working based off of assumptions. How do we know Jarmo didnt try other options and how do we know the limited teams willing and able to take on contracts werent simply saying I want a 1st for my capspace and if you are unwilling to pay it Ill wait for one of the many teams over the cap who is. Calgary was eventually that team and Montreal is probably thinking they either see a bounceback to some degree and trade him with retention for another pick or he more likely flops but they dont care because they get a 1st for an expiring deal.

Philly didnt want to pay and move money for Gaudreau. NYI couldnt move money to sign Kadri and im sure there are tons of other moves that didnt happen because of how much cap space costs right now

I don't know man, if we can't speculate things like this here, where? You honestly think this forum is wrong place to discuss debatable trades GM's has done? Or what do you mean by saying "ridiculous".

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Thats very good point. Why couldn't Jarmo solve this problem later, like it was not option trade someone (Bjorkstrand) after this year and he had to do it now. It does not make sense. and yes the trade feel still odd to me. Maybe there was more involved we have been told.

I don't know man, if we can't speculate things like this here, where? You honestly think this forum is wrong place to discuss debatable trades GM's has done? Or what do you mean by saying "ridiculous".

It's a painful topic, that's why. Better to say it had to be done. And don't look at the numbers.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The “speculation” assumes Jarmo did something stupid that we don’t agree with AND that he did it either on purpose or without considering alternative solutions or maybe just on a whim.

It’s every bit a choice to assume those things as it is to assume that he tried to find another way to solve the problem and decided this was the best short and long term solution.

And sure, it’s fair to speculate all of this. But in the end, the answer to “why didn’t Jarmo…” is almost always going to be “we don’t know.”

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The “speculation” assumes Jarmo did something stupid that we don’t agree with

That's not true at all. You're inserting that. I've said many times that there is likely more going on here that we don't know about.

And sure, it’s fair to speculate all of this. But in the end, the answer to “why didn’t Jarmo…” is almost always going to be “we don’t know.”

And since this isn't a website where we speculate on major events with the team then I guess we won't talk about it. :sarcasm:

It's funny that you are allowed to speculate like this : "the Blue Jackets preferred to dump the last year of Nyquist's contract but the only willing takers insisted on getting paid the Blue Jackets 1st round pick". The mods aren't stepping in to tell them to stop making shit up, even though we really don't have the intel. For all we know they love Nyquist and want to keep him in the org forever and never tried to dump him. (As I've pointed out, we didn't have to move either one of them because we were only a couple million over, it's not a Gus v Ollie question, at least if getting under the cap was the motivation).

Folks aren't not looking into it because they want to abstain from speculating, they are not looking into it because "it had to be done" feels better.

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That's not true at all. You're inserting that. I've said many times that there is likely more going on here that we don't know about.

And since this isn't a website where we speculate on major events with the team then I guess we won't talk about it. :sarcasm:

It's funny that you are allowed to speculate like this : "the Blue Jackets preferred to dump the last year of Nyquist's contract but the only willing takers insisted on getting paid the Blue Jackets 1st round pick". The mods aren't stepping in to tell them to stop making shit up, even though we really don't have the intel. For all we know they love Nyquist and want to keep him in the org forever and never tried to dump him. (As I've pointed out, we didn't have to move either one of them because we were only a couple million over, it's not a Gus v Ollie question, at least if getting under the cap was the motivation).

Folks aren't not looking into it because they want to abstain from speculating, they are not looking into it because "it had to be done" feels better.
You are perjoring me for choosing to understand an un-understandable situation in a particular way. Then you’re attempting to say that I’m perjoring you for choosing to understand it your way. This is fun I guess.

Never once have I said this site shouldn’t be used for baseless speculation. I on our said that after said baseless speculation, the only answer that means anything is “we don’t know.”

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020

Danforth
Marchenko
This is interesting, but not really understanding why Jenner would be playing wing on the 3rd line? We are weak at the C position already and can't afford to have our best center not playing center. Jenner had a good season last year and has earned the 1C spot. You also need a tough, physical guy to protect Laine and Johnny.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
So reading reports out of traverse city, along with how he's played against men in the WC, and among his peers at the WJC, it seems like KJ is back to being a lock (or close to it) in most peoples eyes.

Well, he is definitely not even close to being a lock, or at least not a blue jackets lock but more like Cleveland’s 1st C lock. KJ is an exceptional talent with amazing skillset but too raw overall play and is far away to be physically ready. He just needs more time to develop and put it all together and im not talking about anything less then full year in ahl. Jarmo sounds like he wants him to become a top 6 center in a future and there is no need to rush his development with how stacked our F group is. I mean we can bet on KJ being one of 1st two Monsters C’s and Marchenko on one of his wings. Its totally pointless to think that Jarmo will keep any of them around to play bottom 6 and losing waiver extempt guys at the same time because of that

Reactions: VT

stocker

Mar 9, 2004
TOP LINE

I like jenner here, wins draws and good down low. Can score dirty goals. Will compliment these guys nice!

( LW ) JOHNNY GAUDREAU
( C ) BOONE JENNER
( RW ) PATRIK LAINE

SECOND LINE

I like jack here. This line needs a scoring center and jack can be that. Gus and voracek both are pass happy.

( LW ) GUSTAV NYQUIST
( C ). JACK ROSLOVIC
( RW ) JAKUB VORACEK

THIRD LINE

I honestly think danforth was really good last year. He has some great looks and the goalies made big saves. I think now pressure is off he will surprise a lot of people. He's always in the right space and has a great shot! Team resigned him for a reason. Hoping kent can take big step and cole just does his thing.

( LW ) KENT JOHNSON
( C ) COLE SILLINGER
( RW ) JUSTIN DANFORTH

FOURTH LINE

This line was so good last year when healthy. Would like to see foudy in for Robinson both have speed but foudy imo has larger ceiling. Roberson has been solid tho.

( LW ) ERIC ROBINSON
( C ) SEAN KURALY
( RW ) ALEXANDRE TEXIER

Rotation guys
YEGOR CHINAKHOV

Honestly don't know where he fits. He didn't impress me last year at all. Seemed lost at times. Think ahl would do him good. Could be RW 3RD Line but that's a young line.

KIRILL MARCHENKO

Really excited for this guy. Hope he can become bjorky 2.0. He will work his way in the lineup at somepoint. Could be third line RW But again pretty young line. Will need to play two way game to stay in lineup. Might need time to adjust to nhl.

EMIL BEMSTRÖM

Has potential but most likely 3rd or 4th line rotation guy. Should trade him not getting opportunity here. Maybe he steps up in camp and pushes for a roster spot

MATHIEU OLIVIER

4th line rotation guy. Never understood this trade, especially with ERIK GUDBRANSON being top FA on our board. Will he slow our lines down. Not a offensive guy.

LIAM FOUDY

Imo should be in rotating in robinsons spot. I really like foudys game! But for some reason he's dropped off coaches prospect list. Seems bound for ahl unless we are hit with injury Bug. He should be pressing Robinson for ice time. Competition brings top game
Olivier is not that bad. You need a guy like him on the 4th line.He will take care of Reaves,Wilson,Johnston,Deslauriers,Geersten.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Since Boone Jenner is "rusty" after such a long injury and subsequent rehab, wouldn't it be better if he started on the wing at third, with Gaudreau and Laine playing Johnson first? Next, it seems to me that Patrik started to play more physical, better defense. Simply, tonight's game against the Caps will show us if that's true or not. If yes, Kent could be in the first line IMHO.

My lines:

Gaudreau -- Johnson/Sillinger -- Laine
Chinakhov -- Roslovic -- Voracek
Jenner -- Sillinger/Johnson -- Nyquist
Foudy -- Kuraly -- Bemstrom

I know, many of you love Danforth (this also applies to Robinson). But Liam has better potential similar like Emil.

Werenski, Boqvist
Bean, Peeke
Gavrikov, Gudbranson

Sorry, but I think Gavrikov is overrated.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Since Boone Jenner is "rusty" after such a long injury and subsequent rehab

Correct me if I'm wrong but Boone never had surgery, and no specific injury other than the chronic back pain that he's had for a long time. He was shut down just a little bit early last year (no point in hurting him when our season is over), he still trained over the summer, was kept out of pre-season to spare his back (again no point in hurting him) but has been here working all camp. He might be a bit rusty from only having one pre-season game to date but it doesn't seem like it would be an exceptional amount of rust. Nothing like Gus missing a whole season. So this is what the rest of pre-season is for, just play him. He's in shape and he shouldn't need a ton of games to be ready.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Correct me if I'm wrong but Boone never had surgery, and no specific injury other than the chronic back pain that he's had for a long time. He was shut down just a little bit early last year (no point in hurting him when our season is over), he still trained over the summer, was kept out of pre-season to spare his back (again no point in hurting him) but has been here working all camp. He might be a bit rusty from only having one pre-season game to date but it doesn't seem like it would be an exceptional amount of rust. Nothing like Gus missing a whole season. So this is what the rest of pre-season is for, just play him. He's in shape and he shouldn't need a ton of games to be ready.
I thought he had more problems. If not, it's only great. 👍🏻

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm surprised there's such a lack of support for Roslovic as the 1C. Since coming over to Columbus, he leads the team in p/60 and g/60 at 5v5 (min 50gp).

I think Gaudreau and Laine would really benefit from having a centerman who can really carry the puck and make skilled plays. Jenner is a dependable north south guy but he's struggled to really be involved much in the offense on that line. I understand trying to spread out the offense but I think Calgary showed the benefit of giving Gaudreau the 2 best offensive options the team has to offer.

Gaudreau - Roslovic - Laine
Nyquist - Sillinger - Voracek
Jenner - Johnson - Chinakhov
Robinson - Kuraly - Danforth

Hard to find spots for Foudy, Marchenko, and Bemstrom, but I could see the latter two cycling in with Chinakhov or Danforth depending on how things go. I could also envision Johnson going down if he struggles, but I think he's better as a C (I could also see him earning that 1C).

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'm surprised there's such a lack of support for Roslovic as the 1C. Since coming over to Columbus, he leads the team in p/60 and g/60 at 5v5 (min 50gp).

I think Gaudreau and Laine would really benefit from having a centerman who can really carry the puck and make skilled plays. Jenner is a dependable north south guy but he's struggled to really be involved much in the offense on that line. I understand trying to spread out the offense but I think Calgary showed the benefit of giving Gaudreau the 2 best offensive options the team has to offer.

Hard to find spots for Foudy, Marchenko, and Bemstrom, but I could see the latter two cycling in with Chinakhov or Danforth depending on how things go. I could also envision Johnson going down if he struggles, but I think he's better as a C (I could also see him earning that 1C).
Gaudreau's center in Calgary was Lindholm. A player with excellent two-way game, hockey vision,who knows to connect his partners, don't hold the puck too much. Besides, where is written Roslovic is the best center? I think Johnson is already better, only with less experienced. I thought he can't play with them but he showed very good defense, has 👍🏻 forchecking and Patrik is more better at the boards, carrying the puck, in defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

I think Roslovic is close enough to Jenner's 2 way game, or even better than him as a 2 way center as is so I would like to see him with 13 and 29. Roslovic connected well with Laine towards the end of last season too. However if the "second line" with Chinakhov and Voracek is going to be a thing then Roslovic being with them and Jenner being with Gaudreau and Laine does make some sense. That second line needs Roslovic more than the first does, and the first line can certainly make do with Jenner at C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad