Line Combos: Offensive line combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think you misread me. I argued that Nyquist should cost much less to move than Monahan did. Not a 1st at all.

One thing that results from us not having true, established centers is that our view of what is reasonable to pay a decent wing is kind of skewed. Monahan has a slightly larger cap hit than Nyquist ($6.38 vs $5.5) but he also plays a more valuable position and even if he has dropped off a lot, he still wins face offs.

Reactions: Fro

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
One thing that results from us not having true, established centers is that our view of what is reasonable to pay a decent wing is kind of skewed. Monahan has a slightly larger cap hit than Nyquist ($6.38 vs $5.5) but he also plays a more valuable position and even if he has dropped off a lot, he still wins face offs.
Or another possibility is it could be even more simple than that. Monahan comes with a 1st, Nyquist for arguements sake comes with a 2nd. You potentially get another pick at the deadline but in the back of your mind you are worried he gets hurt or underperforms and goes for less then expected kind of like Domi did

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I have followed plenty of teams with top centers, lol. I'm just confident that a 5C is worth a lot less than a top six winger.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I have followed plenty of teams with top centers, lol. I'm just confident that a 5C is worth a lot less than a top six winger.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree that anyone would use their valuable cap space for anything less than a late 1st.

I think Montreal was like “We have cap. We are tanking. You want our cap, send us a 1st.” They really don’t care how good the player was except for potential return at the deadline. You are acting like the fact that Nyquist is arguably better than Monahan on a good team right now is relevant in the equation here. Montreal might choose to play Monahan in good situations to make him look like he has rebounded (while they lose) to make him look like someone that might have some trade value. We know Nyquist’s value was a second and a third a few years ago and is probably less now. Maybe they’ll pump Monahan up a bit and deal him as a 6’2” 200lb 28 year old 3rd center who can win face offs at the deadline and think he’ll return at least as much as soon to be 33 year old wing Nyquist who has not been that good in the playoffs.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
Was watching some Kirill Marchenko highlights and this guy seems super talented. Excited to see him play! That third line is going to be pretty special if they go with Johnson - Sillinger - Marchenko

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Laine - Jenner - Gaudreau
Johnson - Sillinger - Kane
Nyquist - Roslovic - Voracek
Robinson - Kuraly - Olivier
Danforth
Marchenko

Moving Bemstrom, Korpisalo, a 2023 4th round pick and a conditional 2024 pick in exchange for Kane and 50% salary retention. If Kane is resigned, the 2024 pick is a 1st, otherwise it's a 3rd.

Chinakov to start in Cleveland. Texier on Behavior Health program.

I wish I were as certain in defense as I am about the forward lines. Those lines are probably our best ever #lowbar

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Johnson - Sillinger - Kane
Nyquist - Roslovic - Voracek
Robinson - Kuraly - Olivier
Danforth
Marchenko

Moving Bemstrom, Korpisalo, a 2023 4th round pick and a conditional 2024 pick in exchange for Kane and 50% salary retention. If Kane is resigned, the 2024 pick is a 1st, otherwise it's a 3rd.

Chinakov to start in Cleveland. Texier on Behavior Health program.

I wish I were as certain in defense as I am about the forward lines. Those lines are probably our best ever #lowbar
Don’t think that enough for Kane, or even close to enough tbh.

Think about what he’d get a the TDL. I’m thinking 1st+Bean+Rysavy

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Here’s how I see the forward lines ..

Laine Sillinger Gaudreau

Johnson Jenner. Marchenko

Nyquist. Roslovic. Voracek

Robinson Kuraly Foudy

Once an injury occurs , Chinakov is slotted in .
These are the optimistic lines I would like to see. Maybe Bemström could be somewhere, some time.

If these lines work, that would tell huge positive things about the development of Sillinger, Johnson and Marchenko.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Bemström - Roslovic - Voracek
Nyquist - Sillinger - Johnson
Robinson/Foudy - Kuraly - Danforth

1st line is trying to go for the best possible line with the available players, hoping for good Laine-Gaudreau connection and that Jenner can keep up his good play from last season. Laine-Jenner also worked together excellent.

2nd line is all about giving Bemström a top6 opportunity to see if he can stay a positive contributor playing higher up and with two offensive minded players. The success of this line depends on Bemström being solid and Roslovic connecting with Voracek, and hoping that Roslovic's C-game is "good enough". If everything clicks, this could be a very solid 2nd line, though I wouldn't bet on it.

3rd line is where you give youngsters a chance, with Nyquist being the veteran presence. I'd like to see Sillinger play well at center and on the other wing you can try out Johnson/Marchenko/Chinakhov. I kinda expect to see max 2 of them in the NHL at the same time.

4th line is supposed to play a solid game and be capable of eating minutes if 3rd line is having a bad night, which I would expect to happen some nights.

Some possible adjustments I see is swapping Bemström and Nyquist, or giving Bemström's spot to one of the youngsters if they look like they're up for it. Bemström is a proven bottom-6er in my mind and guys like Johnson I see as players who should either play in the minors or in a top-6 role, with 3rd line being just a half-way house to give them time to adjust.

Reactions: majormajor

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

1st line is trying to go for the best possible line with the available players, hoping for good Laine-Gaudreau connection and that Jenner can keep up his good play from last season. Laine-Jenner also worked together excellent.

2nd line is all about giving Bemström a top6 opportunity to see if he can stay a positive contributor playing higher up and with two offensive minded players. The success of this line depends on Bemström being solid and Roslovic connecting with Voracek, and hoping that Roslovic's C-game is "good enough". If everything clicks, this could be a very solid 2nd line, though I wouldn't bet on it.

3rd line is where you give youngsters a chance, with Nyquist being the veteran presence. I'd like to see Sillinger play well at center and on the other wing you can try out Johnson/Marchenko/Chinakhov. I kinda expect to see max 2 of them in the NHL at the same time.

4th line is supposed to play a solid game and be capable of eating minutes if 3rd line is having a bad night, which I would expect to happen some nights.

Some possible adjustments I see is swapping Bemström and Nyquist, or giving Bemström's spot to one of the youngsters if they look like they're up for it. Bemström is a proven bottom-6er in my mind and guys like Johnson I see as players who should either play in the minors or in a top-6 role, with 3rd line being just a half-way house to give them time to adjust.
This is what I had except swapping Sillinger and Roslovic. Also had Robo and Foudy as regulars and Danforth as 13th. But mostly the same and for much of the same reasoning.

Therefore, I like this!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I might bet on it.

Roslovic and Voracek actually played together for most of the second half of last season, and got very good goals results.

And the best results of Bemstrom's career came with Roslovic.

I can't access it on mobile but you can find results for every pair through natural stat trick. Find the player in the player index and click on "teammates".

Reactions: NotCommitted and VT

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Last year the biggest liability in our forward lineup was Cole Sillinger. There was all the talk about how good he was defensively, and yet the Jackets got awful results with Sillinger on the ice no matter which way you measure it.

The most pivotal thing that we'll see in camp is how much his skating has come along. He might be much better. And if he isn't, well then both parties will be better off if he's developing in Cleveland.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I often wrote Roslo ha excellent chemistry with Bemmer and Voracek. Remember lines Domi -- Roslo -- Voracek, Nyquist -- Roslo -- Voracek or Grigorenko -- Roslo -- Bemmer in the 2020/21 season. His style isn't ideal for a sniper like Laine and I think all similar players.

The roster. It's difficult. We don't know how Johnson, Chinakhov, Marchenko, Foudy and Bemstrom will be ready. Because we can't underrated Yegor. It was already his the second season with men, the first season in NHL, so he already has some experiences. One will probably be stronger.

@majormajor Cole plays like the center and we (minimum me) say about his play in 18 years. Of course he must improve his skating minimum, but he can play in NHL.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Last year the biggest liability in our forward lineup was Cole Sillinger. There was all the talk about how good he was defensively, and yet the Jackets got awful results with Sillinger on the ice no matter which way you measure it.

The most pivotal thing that we'll see in camp is how much his skating has come along. He might be much better. And if he isn't, well then both parties will be better off if he's developing in Cleveland.

Yeah I feel Sillinger got overrated because the bar was so low to begin with and he started out decent. But as the season progressed he didn't really look like he belonged in the NHL. That said I think there was a lot of promising signs about his game, he just wasn't ready yet. If he develops into a solid #2C I'd be very happy.

EDIT: actually I'm not sure if his results or metrics were any better at the beginning, or if it was just all about "wow this kid is 18 and he's playing center!" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad