OT: Off Topic Thread XIII: Keep Pounding Panthers Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
So, the Panthers **** their pants, but the Hurricanes are back in third in the Metro, so we got that going for us, which is nice.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Ugh, not going to lie was kind of hoping you guys would play Duke in the Chick-Fil-A bowl. Thought that would have been a good matchup.

Isn't this now the 3rd year in a row SC has gone to Tampa?

No. Capital One is in Orlando, not Tampa - that's Outback. Even if we had been selected it would have been two years in a row, not three. We went to Capital One in 2012 where we beat Nebraska. Also, no way we would have dropped down to Chick-fil-A - it's a higher bowl for the ACC than it is the SEC. The bowls that we could have conceivably gone to were Capital One, Outback, and Cotton. I know a lot of USC fans were hoping for Cotton since it'd be a new destination entirely for us. Still, I'm happy to be going to a bowl for another year. I still remember the two years South Carolina went a combined 1-21.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
No. Capital One is in Orlando, not Tampa - that's Outback. Even if we had been selected it would have been two years in a row, not three. We went to Capital One in 2012 where we beat Nebraska. Also, no way we would have dropped down to Chick-fil-A - it's a higher bowl for the ACC than it is the SEC. The bowls that we could have conceivably gone to were Capital One, Outback, and Cotton. I know a lot of USC fans were hoping for Cotton since it'd be a new destination entirely for us. Still, I'm happy to be going to a bowl for another year. I still remember the two years South Carolina went a combined 1-21.

Oh. So many bowl games that I forget which ones exist and which ones change names. I know Florida has something like 5 or 6, or at least did at one time.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Nobody's going into NO or Seattle and winning playoff games. They're so much better at home than anyone else. (Cowboys fan weeps...)

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Oh. So many bowl games that I forget which ones exist and which ones change names. I know Florida has something like 5 or 6, or at least did at one time.

Just for fun, I've compiled all the games in Florida this season. Behold:

Date | Bowl Game | Venue | City | Match-up
12/23/13|Beef O' Brady's St. Petersburg Bowl|Tropicana Field|St. Petersburg, FL|East Carolina vs. Ohio
12/28/13|Russell Athletic Bowl|Florida Citrus Bowl|Orlando, FL|Miami vs. Louisville
1/1/14|TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl|EverBank Field|Jacksonville, FL|Nebraska vs. Georgia
1/1/14|Capital One Bowl|Florida Citrus Bowl|Orlando, FL|Wisconsin vs. South Carolina
1/1/14|Outback Bowl|Raymond James Stadium|Tampa, FL|Iowa vs. LSU
1/3/14|Discover Orange Bowl|Sun Life Stadium|Miami Gardens, FL|Ohio State vs. Clemson

So yep - 6 bowls.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Just for fun, I've compiled all the games in Florida this season. Behold:

Date | Bowl Game | Venue | City | Match-up
12/23/13|Beef O' Brady's St. Petersburg Bowl|Tropicana Field|St. Petersburg, FL|East Carolina vs. Ohio
12/28/13|Russell Athletic Bowl|Florida Citrus Bowl|Orlando, FL|Miami vs. Louisville
1/1/14|TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl|EverBank Field|Jacksonville, FL|Nebraska vs. Georgia
1/1/14|Capital One Bowl|Florida Citrus Bowl|Orlando, FL|Wisconsin vs. South Carolina
1/1/14|Outback Bowl|Raymond James Stadium|Tampa, FL|Iowa vs. LSU
1/3/14|Discover Orange Bowl|Sun Life Stadium|Miami Gardens, FL|Ohio State vs. Clemson

So yep - 6 bowls.

Beef O'Brady's Bowl? Are you kidding me?

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
Beef O'Brady's Bowl? Are you kidding me?

Yeah, it's been around a few years. It's played in a baseball stadium. (Let me give you a moment for that to sink in.)

Yeah... :facepalm:

Wish ECU could have gotten a better bowl game, but considering it's C-USA and they're screwing them every chance they get because they're leaving it's no surprise. So glad they are getting the heck out.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Yeah, it's been around a few years. It's played in a baseball stadium. (Let me give you a moment for that to sink in.)

Wish ECU could have gotten a better bowl game, but considering it's C-USA and they're screwing them every chance they get because they're leaving it's no surprise. So glad they are getting the heck out.

I'm glad we're leaving. C-USA is terrible.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
His knee definitely bent awkwardly on that play. Wouldn't be surprised if that's it for Stew's career here, could definitely use some of his money to pay Hardy and the other UFAs. As much as this loss stings, it had to happen eventually and I'm glad it happened there. Now the team can refocus against the Jets, beat the Saints in BofA, and finish strong against Atlanta in preparation for the playoffs.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

There's a bowl game in San Francisco that is played at AT&T Park, home of the baseball Giants. They actually used to invite ACC teams to this game.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
There's a bowl game in San Francisco that is played at AT&T Park, home of the baseball Giants. They actually used to invite ACC teams to this game.

That would be the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl (formerly the San Francisco Bowl, the Diamond Walnut San Francisco Bowl and the Emerald Bowl). There's also the New Era Pinstripe Bowl which is played in Yankee Stadium.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
Yeah, but the Pinstripe Bowl makes sense only in the fact that the only place to play in NYC would be Yankee Stadium.

AT&T Park is another bad one. Only have Candlestick and even O.co nearby. And it's not like there isn't Raymond James in Tampa.

It's one thing for the NHL to play outdoor games in baseball stadiums since there aren't outdoor hockey arenas in most of the possible locations, but it's not like there aren't actual football stadiums available for college football bowl games to play in. To me it just cheapens the bowl games, as if having so many doesn't already.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Alshon Jeffery is very quickly becoming one of my favorite players in the NFL.

2ndQuarter0043_t607.jpg

You're welcome.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Alshon Jeffery is very quickly becoming one of my favorite players in the NFL.

He's also single-handedly ruining my chances in two separate fantasy playoff matchups :laugh:...:cry:

Update (cause I'm sure everyone cares :laugh:): Held on in one league, lost in the other with the 2nd highest point total on the week...that's fantasy for ya.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
He's also single-handedly ruining my chances in two separate fantasy playoff matchups :laugh:...:cry:

Update (cause I'm sure everyone cares :laugh:): Held on in one league, lost in the other with the 2nd highest point total on the week...that's fantasy for ya.

I needed 5 more points from a combo of the Murray and the Cowboys kicker. If that dimwit Garrett just let them run the ******* ball down their throats at the start of the 2nd half, maybe they wouldn't have gotten completely embarrassed.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh

Yup. Meanwhile, I dominated the first playoff round in my other league, and the first place dude's team is bumped out (he had Dez, ended up less than a catch away from winning).

Now I fully expect my team to fizzle like it usually seems to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad