2024-25 NTDP U17 Team Selection

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Just scrolled back and not sure why some of you guys are so hurt when I post. I don't lie. I am opinionated, yea ok I get it that can ruffle some feathers, but I never criticize individual players in a negative way. Only thing I have criticized was the social media hype machine that is taking advantage of naive parents.

I was focusing on the 09 birth year this year but have been on this forum for a while and cant remember so much fanboyism for a birth year like this one before. This tells me some of you must be parents trying to pump their kids, or maybe sleazy advisors / media guys.

I'll stop posting here so you guys can continue enjoying each other in this little echo chamber you have going. God forbid somebody says an opinion that goes against the grain.

Reactions: clevelandcane

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Just scrolled back and not sure why some of you guys are so hurt when I post. I don't lie. I am opinionated, yea ok I get it that can ruffle some feathers, but I never criticize individual players in a negative way. Only thing I have criticized was the social media hype machine that is taking advantage of naive parents.

I was focusing on the 09 birth year this year but have been on this forum for a while and cant remember so much fanboyism for a birth year like this one before. This tells me some of you must be parents trying to pump their kids, or maybe sleazy advisors / media guys.

I'll stop posting here so you guys can continue enjoying each other in this little echo chamber you have going. God forbid somebody says an opinion that goes against the grain.

You really need to move past your refrain that anyone who disagrees with you is a prospect parent or a "sleazy advisor / media guy." It says nothing about the people you disagree with while saying a lot about you.

There is nothing wrong with you having differing player and birth year opinions. It's valuable that we have posters on here who watch various players and form various opinions. We're all better for that.

But people are not often challenging you because you have varying opinions, but because you make bold claims like "I have spoken with all of [the NHL guys coaching in the 2009 birth year]" to support your conclusions on a birth year, and then immediately pivot when challenged to that being "3 coaches who played in the NHL who are in Massachusetts for tournaments pretty often that have sons at the 09 level" which is not even remotely the same thing. And folks challenge you not just because you might have differing opinions, but because you rarely offer any supporting evidence or context for your positions beyond that we should just believe you and if we don't, you attempt to poison our wells to discredit our positions with repetitive circumstantial ad hominem attacks where you fabricate, without any evidence mind you, the circumstances.

You don't seem to be here for discussion or information, but for acquiescence to the perceived incontrovertibility of your positions.

Reactions: wetcoast

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

To be honest its pretty clear you are the parent here that is upset your kid hasnt been mentioned yet.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You don’t get to just pop in and say “I’ve talked to people and they say this year sucks. You can’t contradict me because it’s an unverified anecdote. By the way, you are all paid shills”

That’s not how good discussion works lol.

Celebrini71

Oct 31, 2023
My Guesses

Beuker - UND
Berchild - Gophers or Hockey East
Cullen - St Cloud
Plante - UMD
Nelson - Notre Dame
Stuart - Denver
Francisco - UMD
Marthaler - UMD
Barnett - Michigan
Lutner - Gophers

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
My Guesses

Beuker - UND
Cullen - St Cloud
Plante - UMD
Nelson - Notre Dame
Stuart - Denver
Francisco - UMD
Marthaler - UMD
Barnett - Michigan
Lutner - Gophers
Casey Mutryn's brother, Teddy, is a BC commit. And their dad, Scott, was the QB on the football team. So that one seems written in the stars.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Casey Mutryn's brother, Teddy, is a BC commit. And their dad, Scott, was the QB on the football team. So that one seems written in the stars.
You have to be kidding me. The dad is Scott Mutryn?!?!?! He played QB at my HS in the 90s at St. Ignatius. We were the powerhouse in football in the country in the 90s and he's one that put us there. Same kid?

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
You have to be kidding me. The dad is Scott Mutryn?!?!?! He played QB at my HS in the 90s at St. Ignatius. We were the powerhouse in football in the country in the 90s and he's one that put us there. Same kid?
That's the family! Small world at least in the realm of sports. Scott has Ignatius listed in his bio on Twitter. He's still closely connected to BC, and now you can see he's involved in the world of youth hockey because of his sons.

Another fun fact: Mutryn was at BC at the same as Matt Hasselbeck, who now has two daughters at BC playing on one of the perennial powerhouses in women's lacrosse.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
That's the family! Small world at least in the realm of sports. Scott has Ignatius listed in his bio on Twitter. He's still closely connected to BC, and now you can see he's involved in the world of youth hockey because of his sons.

Another fun fact: Mutryn was at BC at the same as Matt Hasselbeck, who now has two daughters at BC playing on one of the perennial powerhouses in women's lacrosse.
Thanks for the information! Very cool.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
My Guesses

Beuker - UND
Cullen - St Cloud
Plante - UMD
Nelson - Notre Dame
Stuart - Denver
Francisco - UMD
Marthaler - UMD
Barnett - Michigan
Lutner - Gophers
Wonder if one of those ends up at Wisconsin or if everyone in the "elite" group just gets turned off by Hastings (who would lean in the direction of going with older Canadians and Minnesotans)

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Didnt know where tonpost this as i didnt want to go digging thru threads. But word is NTDP is releasing a group of players from the u17 team and bringing in a handful of new guys. I think this is the first time weve ever seen this

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Didnt know where tonpost this as i didnt want to go digging thru threads. But word is NTDP is releasing a group of players from the u17 team and bringing in a handful of new guys. I think this is the first time weve ever seen this
I think that sounds like a big positive.

Potter would seemingly be part of the group not returning, and I suspect they would've wanted him back, but the others I'm guessing are players towards the bottom of the roster.

This would show they are tweaking the NTDP model so many people have been asking for over the years.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What changed between the Evaluation Camp and now?

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I think that sounds like a big positive.

Potter would seemingly be part of the group not returning, and I suspect they would've wanted him back, but the others I'm guessing are players towards the bottom of the roster.

This would show they are tweaking the NTDP model so many people have been asking for over the years.

Cutting players after one season is not a very good look for the NTDP as they ask for two-year commitments from players with substantial penalties if players bolt.

Truthfully, I'd like to see the U-17 team eliminated entirely and only keep the U-18 one. There is a ton of development between the ages of 16 and 17 and many players are missed due to being late bloomers or a bit behind the curve. Have the best 16-year-olds play in the USHL or a cross between Prep/H.S. AAA and the USHL and then choose the best among them for the U-18 team the following year.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Last years u17 team i was talking about
Ahhh gotcha, that makes more sense then. It was a rather poor performing team, so it does kind of make sense.

Cutting players after one season is not a very good look for the NTDP as they ask for two-year commitments from players with substantial penalties if players bolt.
Probably not, but it is what it is in a competitive hockey environment. I'm sure the dry spell with the U18s is weighing heavily on their minds. The probably don't want to roll into next season with a team that isn't very good if there are better players out there.
Truthfully, I'd like to see the U-17 team eliminated entirely and only keep the U-18 one.
The IIHF Rule (that is no doubt driven by Hockey Canada) about 2-years post age 12 to be eligible likely plays a bit of a role in it. Also the fact of high-end 16 year olds needing a spot to play and not wanting them to feel like they have to go to Canada.
There is a ton of development between the ages of 16 and 17 and many players are missed due to being late bloomers or a bit behind the curve. Have the best 16-year-olds play in the USHL or a cross between Prep/H.S. AAA and the USHL and then choose the best among them for the U-18 team the following year.
This is good in theory. In reality, most kids that don't make the USNTDP don't go into the USHL for their age 16 year and will stay in Prep/AAA. The USNTDP has been a good path for the "cream of the crop", while also being a disservice to the broader pool by pre-selecting the shining superstars when they are 15 and leading to a lot of inefficiency in putting a lot of resources into players that get passed up a year later.

I've said before, but if I were starting a system from scratch, I wouldn't go with the USNTDP model. The U.S. player pool is too broad right now that I don't think it's really necessary and it drains a lot of USA Hockey resources. It made a lot of sense when it first started because the state of Junior-aged Hockey in the U.S. was a hot mess and it really showed in the years that were being produced in that time (the crop that came after the prime-aged players in the WCOH in '96, but before the USNTDP aged players took off) which became somewhat of a lost generation (we're talking like Brian Rolston, Jay Pandolfo, Chris Drury, Scott Gomez, Brian Gionta, Jamie Langenbrunner, Matt Cullen, Erik Cole are the best Forwards that you're churning out over a pretty long period of time).

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Truthfully, I'd like to see the U-17 team eliminated entirely and only keep the U-18 one. There is a ton of development between the ages of 16 and 17 and many players are missed due to being late bloomers or a bit behind the curve. Have the best 16-year-olds play in the USHL or a cross between Prep/H.S. AAA and the USHL and then choose the best among them for the U-18 team the following year.
I think most USHL teams would strongly balk at having their best players hand-selected for U18. I think they probably like the way it has been where they lose most of the elite guys, but for at least two years get their pick of everyone else.

I’d be okay with eliminating the penalty for players leaving early. I think that’s too harsh. It’s not a fit for everyone. At least a few every year who would actually benefit from leaving early, and USAH knows that. If they could trade the penalty for being able to release the worst players and replace them with some better players between the two seasons (likely with some protection to USHL teams from picking players who played “X” # of USHL games their U17 year), I think that would be a good and fair trade off for everyone.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
What tweak are you referring too?

07 national team had a few kids that were real head scratchers to begin with. Clearly better players weren't picked for various reasons. Hopefully the change becomes less political and nepotism picks.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I think if the kid commits to USA hockey then USA hockey has to commit to the kids. That's gotta be part of it. These are 16 and 17 year old HS kids. Don't f*** around with their lives if indeed we are talking about just cutting kids for ines that are better. Isn't the US program trying to DEVELOP kids?

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
I think if the kid commits to USA hockey then USA hockey has to commit to the kids. That's gotta be part of it. These are 16 and 17 year old HS kids. Don't f*** around with their lives if indeed we are talking about just cutting kids for ines that are better. Isn't the US program trying to DEVELOP kids?
I definitely agree with you and a big recent criticism of the NTDP is that they dont really try to develop their whole team. Bottom half of the team gets limited ice and never gets certain opportunities that the chosen ones do.

I get it from one side but if you are really a developmental program then all kids should play in every situation or at least get mutiple chances to as the season goes on.

Celebrini71

Oct 31, 2023
Wonder if one of those ends up at Wisconsin or if everyone in the "elite" group just gets turned off by Hastings (who would lean in the direction of going with older Canadians and Minnesotans)
Hastings likes his older guys... Might scare them away a little for what Stramel and others went through as touted kids... Best bet is Marthaler but he has high ties to UMD....

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
Any idea of who the kids that are going to be released ?
The 2008 are smaller and weaker than the 2007 and will really struggle next year against ushl like 2007 did

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad