OT: Off-Topic Thread Episode VIII: Daisy Dukes Sharkinis On Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'm with Fido (Rogers) and no longer on contract. I have an old grandfathered plan that doesn't exist anymore and I'm just paying $50 a month with 6GB of data. If I switch, I won't get anything close to that so I'm kinda stuck. I mean, I average about 50MB of data a month, but that's beside the point!

The last couple of times my contract's been up they call me pretty relentlessly to get me to renew and I like to be that pain in the ass customer (though truth be told, I understand the sales people are just employees and don't have a lot of pull so they don't deserve to put up with it BUT they called me; I didn't call them).

One time they called:
Fido: We see your contract is up, let me ask you a question: what kind of phone are you using now?
Me: Nexus 4
Fido: Wouldn't you like a faster phone?
Me: What are you talking about? This is plenty fast!
Fido: Oh. Okay. Is there anything you'd like different about your contract?
Me: Yeah! I want it cheaper! I'm paying too much!
Fido: Oh, I see. So what kind of phone are you using now?
Me: Didn't you just ask me that?
Fido: Uh, yeah you're right. Thanks.

Then a week after
Fido: We see your contract is up. Would you be interested in renewing with us?
Me: Hell no! You don't even have any plans close to as good as what I have now!
Fido: Well, I can talk to my manager (I love when they use that line) but I can see to letting you keep your plan if you renew
Me: But I have my plan now. And I'd be tied to you for at least two more years AND I'd get a crappier phone than what I'm using. What are the benefits of me signing a contract? Would YOU renew?
Fido: I guess not. Thanks.

Then after:
Fido: We see your contract is up, let me ask you a question: what kind of phone are you using now?
Me: Someone called a couple weeks ago asking that same question. Don't you guys keep a record of this? You guys couldn't do anything for me then, I don't think you can do anything for me now.
Fido: Oh, I don't see a note here. Would you like me to put a note on your account so we can stop calling you?
Me: Yeah, that'd be great. NOW you're doing stuff for me!

:laugh:

Great thing about phones now is there are so many factory unlocked options available, you don't need to be tied down to a contract to save a couple bucks on the purchase of your phone.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I would be with Wind if I still lived in Calgary or another big city in Canada, but living in Lethbridge, Wind relies on Rogers' network for smaller cities and towns.

Yeah thats the only problem with them. If you travel outside the city a lot then they would be a poor choice, although as you said you can piggyback onto the Rogers network when you're out in the boonies without having to pay too much.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yup. For having "Canada's most reliable network," it's pretty much garbage.
I found a map of cell towers and I have 3 telus towers closer to my apartment than the nearest rogers tower. I regularly lose service in my living room.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Telus is dumb. But I get deal with my TV/internet/phone plan all being part of the same bundle.

Actually, I'll be honest, it's my iPhone that sucks. Up until a few months ago, I was routinely going well over my 3GB data plan (which is ****ing insane) and it's because Apple has all these stupid features turned on in the depths of my settings that sap through my plan. I finally figured out how to turn them off after Telus called me halfway through Feb telling me I had used 3GB of data in 15 days. I asked them if they thought that was reasonable and said that it's not the first time they've told me I'm going over my data plan and if they don't start to do something about it and stop overcharging me, I was going to get service somewhere else.

Of course this made the girl on the phone all scared and said they would cover 50% of the overage charges incurred for the rest of the month, which was complete crap because of course by then I was already turning off those hidden functions so my data was taking a smaller hit. Then when they called me back at the end of my cycle to confirm, they turned around and said "we can cover 50% of your charges up to $50" :laugh: I almost threw my phone at the wall. Total garbage.

Nowadays I limit my cell data usage to pretty much just iMessage. I can't afford to keep doing this song and dance with them. I have a strong feeling this debacle is going to make me switch to Android next, and eventually just leave Telus because they really don't do that much for me.

May 27, 2012
Earth
You guys should get Ragin Mobility. 49.99 for 500 GB of Internet use per month. Unlimited bandwidth. 700gb of data for your phone for only 14.99 a month. Unlimited calling and texting after 12pm. And NHL centre ice free for the next 5 years.

Aug 3, 2010
Dislike Telus, used them for years and they'd always have some bad excuse for extra costs and the like.
Bell is OK, nothing special but they are reliable at least.
Switched to Virgin right now and their CSRs have been very good. Also, they're on Bell's network which has great range, and they have a lot of promotions that are usually worth it (2-for-1 movies, etc.) that they send out. Their app's pretty useful/accurate as well so that's a bonus.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Im on Telus. With the iPhone 4s I NEVER went over my monthly 1GB of data. After 3.5 years of the 4s I recently got the iPhone 6 and bargained to keep my $65 1 GB plan I already had (they stopped offering 1GB, its 750MB or 1.5GB). I instantly connect to wifi at MRU, work, and my house, these are the only three places I am ever at. Somehow, I seem to go over my 1GB in about 2 weeks or less each month, while not using my phone driving place to place? Such a joke.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Tonight, I went to the food court and ordered a hot dog and poutine.

I have zero regrets. :laugh:

635572355320181723-1690830193_7tt5PLw.gif

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I also got poutine and a hotdog at the NY Fries in Chinook tonight...I order that all the time though lol.

I was at Market. We must be soulmates though. <3

I haven't had NY Fries in forever though. Felt like I earned it since I finish up Insanity this week. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad