OT: Off-Topic Thread - Airing of Grievances

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Just accepted the job. Pretty substantial (22%) raise and a fancy new Director of HR title.

Now to give my notice tomorrow. This part suuuuucks.

Congrats!! How is the commute to the new place going to be as compared to your current gig? You've been there for a while now, right? What spurred you on to start looking at other opportunities??

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Congrats!! How is the commute to the new place going to be as compared to your current gig? You've been there for a while now, right? What spurred you on to start looking at other opportunities??

New commute is a 5 minute drive from my house. Currently, I have a 20-ish minute train ride, or a 15 - 60 minute drive to go 4 miles, depending on traffic.

I've actually only been at this job since March. I left the place I was at for 5 years because we had gone through a merger, the merger/harmonization activities were winding down, and that's primarily what I had been working on for the previous 2 years once the merger was announced. I saw the writing on the wall and wasn't sure I had job security, or that I'd like what the job turned into. So, I started looking and found my current gig, relatively quickly.

The current gig just isn't what I was expecting, at all, for a lot of reasons. I knew it pretty early on, but wanted to take my time and find the right next fit. Initially I was going to try and stick it out for 12-18 months as conventional wisdom suggests, but with a steady job history otherwise and a solid reason for looking, I knew it wouldn't hurt me. When I realized I didn't HAVE to stay if I was unhappy, it was a total "ah-ha" moment. I started looking, pretty aggressively, after that, but have been picky about finding the right fit.

Talking to my boss is going to be hard. She's nice enough, and there was too much wrong with the fit for me to try and make it work -- or to let her know that I wasn't loving it. She couldn't fix what the issues I had were, it was more institutional.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Just accepted the job. Pretty substantial (22%) raise and a fancy new Director of HR title.

Please tell me that the new job is not the Director of HR for the Boston branch of the NFL Network. If so, that 22% percent raise ain't going to be enough...

:laugh:

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@HockeyMomx2 Send me your address via PM - Blades wants to visit

upload_2017-12-12_16-8-39.png

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

Yeah! Now you can hire me. :D

I’ve been contacted by +18 recruiters in the past 24 hours about a 12-month contract position at a former employer. There are no benefits and the pay is mediocre, but the commute is good and for now I’m still pulling severance. Wish me luck! :laugh:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Meh, there's plenty of glowing reviews out there that I've read already. There's one on CNN that puts it in the category of "Attack of the Clones" which is just flat out preposterous. More and more I've felt like people who review these massive blockbuster movies tend to try and gear them down for clicks/shares instead of actually reviewing the film properly.
I've never paid attention to movie critics. They're just another person with an opinion. Everybody likes different styles. If a movie sounds interesting to me, I'll watch it. But I very rarely go to the theater anymore. It's probably been at least a couple years. I'd much rather wait and watch it in the comfort of my own home. Much easier to do now with the nice TV setups these days. But you better believe I saw the original Star Wars movies in the theaters. No waiting for it to come out at Erols or Blockbuster back then. :laugh:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I usually eat at my desk and peruse HF Boards.

I stopped eating at work after being asked constantly to do this and that when anyone could see I was eating.
Now I just drive down the road and eat in some random parking lot listening to the radio or looking through my phone.

We've always closed for lunch hour (since 1929) so you can eat your lunch in peace and prepare yourself for the afternoon to come. Or run errands. I've thought about changing it but no, I need that hour of relative calm.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Congrats Kate!

I have been doing a lot of interviews for interns and new hires at work lately and have really enjoyed bs'ing with the hr folks. They lean on us a lot as we are engineers interviewing engineers and they are not but they help us with the "soft" questions haha. Plus their stories about how much people suck are hilarious

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I hate having to take lunch! Can't i sing away that right and just leave after 8 hours? I have always worked for firms with unpaid lunch who expect 8.5 to 9 hour day in total. Corpratist BS that is. 6 to 2 or 230 would me my ideal work schedule. MBTA says otherwise, just waiting for that parking space

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I hate having to take lunch! Can't i sing away that right and just leave after 8 hours? I have always worked for firms with unpaid lunch who expect 8.5 to 9 hour day in total. Corpratist BS that is. 6 to 2 or 230 would me my ideal work schedule. MBTA says otherwise, just waiting for that parking space
I am such the opposite. I can barely drag myself out of bed at 630. I pretty much work 9-7 or 730, only because getting in much earlier is basically a Herculean task. I also have a 70 mile commute right now.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I am such the opposite. I can barely drag myself out of bed at 630. I pretty much work 9-7 or 730, only because getting in much earlier is basically a Herculean task. I also have a 70 mile commute right now.
Hi. You are 9 MILLION times better than you were.:nod:

I am in a similar situation as Kate was. Found a job quickly after deciding to leave my job after 2 years. The work part is fine...it's right in my wheelhouse. The culture is a different story. It's tough, and I'm aware that I don't fit in. The turnover there is really high And the management leaves something to be desired. It's "ok" at the moment...I will probably start looking after the new year. I try to look for the higher reason I'm there....some days I think I feel it, others not at all. It's manageable, but it doesnt make me joyful.

Good luck Sooshi!

Reactions: sooshii

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Had to put down my dog today after almost 14 years. I knew I was going to be sad, but it was/is much more emotional than I could have imagined :(

Sorry to hear about your dog....my condolences!
My wife and I had to put down our 14 year old dog Max a few years ago and it was a lot harder to do than I thought it would be.
My wife put up framed picture of Max with a nice poem attached in the hallway as a memorial shortly after he passed, and we reminisce from time to time.

Reactions: iRONic™

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Had to put down my dog today after almost 14 years. I knew I was going to be sad, but it was/is much more emotional than I could have imagined :(
So sorry friend. Grief from losing a pet is the hardest I've ever found.

Hugs to you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad