OT: Off-Topic Thread - Airing of Grievances

Status
Not open for further replies.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Had to put down my dog today after almost 14 years. I knew I was going to be sad, but it was/is much more emotional than I could have imagined :(
I am so sorry for your loss. It feels like a big hole in your heart, doesn’t it?
What kind of pup did you have?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Had to put down my dog today after almost 14 years. I knew I was going to be sad, but it was/is much more emotional than I could have imagined :(

Sent you a PM my friend, been barely over 24 hours since ours had to be put down and while the sadness is very much still there, I do feel a bit better today knowing my buddy is no longer in pain and with the comfort of knowing that me and Mrs Odaat provided our pooch with everything he needed to be happy, healthy and well loved as I`m sure you did with yours.

Woke up this morning looking for my little buddy, heard a noise while on the computer that sounded like his paws on the hardwood floors, and I filled his water bowl yesterday while in the kitchen. He`s so missed here, and the house feels odd, but that will pass and all the wonderful memories he helped create with us will fill our hearts and knowing we did what was best for him, not us at the end will be comforting.

Be well friend, my thoughts are with you

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
35 at mine. My sister's had her job for 25.

I think ours is the last generation that will have had only one job in their adult lives.

yup.

my generation (32) grew up watching the loyalty your generation gave to companies end up meaning nothing. Too many companies simply throw people away and screw them over. Loyalty is dead on the company side, so workers are becoming mercenaries to compensate.

It's a rare case now for it to not make sense to jump for a promo or more money.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
yup.

my generation (32) grew up watching the loyalty your generation gave to companies end up meaning nothing. Too many companies simply throw people away and screw them over. Loyalty is dead on the company side, so workers are becoming mercenaries to compensate.

It's a rare case now for it to not make sense to jump for a promo or more money.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
yup.

Been at my place of business for 20+ years now, and they are as loyal as they come. When I had cancer awhile back, they kept me on the regular payroll while I was undergoing treatment (as opposed to disability), even though they knew I was not going to be able to give them 100%.

Every company and situation is different, so it's probably best if you don't generalize.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
yup.

That is certainly true of larger businesses. IMO small businesses not so much- we can't afford to alienate & then lose good help the way a bigger company can. Losing a key person can doom a small business to failure (and that key person isn't always the owner!) Our family business was probably too indulgent towards employees if anything there is no question some took advantage of us. But I'd rather we be known for being generous to employees than for screwing them over. I don't have any employees right now and it will probably remain that way for the forseeable future. Yes the workload is a challenge especially when I want/need time away but IMO finding & managing employees is an even bigger challenge, one that I'm simply not up for at this point in my life.

Reactions: sooshii

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Been at my place of business for 20+ years now, and they are as loyal as they come. When I had cancer awhile back, they kept me on the regular payroll while I was undergoing treatment (as opposed to disability), even though they knew I was not going to be able to give them 100%.

Every company and situation is different, so it's probably best if you don't generalize.

yeah, if only i had said "too many companies" and "its a rare case"....oh wait, i did.

understand that your situation is very rare, for most companies employees are a bottom line commodity. Look at Bennys. They up and closed leaving the employees with nothing despite making $75 million on the real estate sale alone

edit: to BMC's point, this is more true with corporations rather than small/local businesses.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
That is certainly true of larger businesses. IMO small businesses not so much- we can't afford to alienate & then lose good help the way a bigger company can. Losing a key person can doom a small business to failure (and that key person isn't always the owner!) Our family business was probably too indulgent towards employees if anything there is no question some took advantage of us. But I'd rather we be known for being generous to employees than for screwing them over. I don't have any employees right now and it will probably remain that way for the forseeable future. Yes the workload is a challenge especially when I want/need time away but IMO finding & managing employees is an even bigger challenge, one that I'm simply not up for at this point in my life.

fair point. i should've made that distinction. the loyalty lacking is definitely on the corporations side, and not small/local businesses.

Reactions: BMC

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
yup.

I've been at my current job for 5 years and I can count on one hand the people in my region that have been here longer than me. Granted, I work in retail banking which these days has a ton of turnover.

I think the biggest reasoning behind the mercenary aspect of employment these days is the fact that most companies don't offer any type of pension for service time anymore. My dad worked for the same place for 30+ years and when he retired, he was getting 80% of his final salary as a pension. My company did away with any type of pension years ago.

I'd leave for a promotion/raise in a heart beat.

That being said, obviously this is a broad generalization and there are plenty of of great places to work and stay with the company if you find yourself in that situation. Personally I'd love that.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

We did this for one of our employees, she fought cancer on and off for 20 years before it finally got her. It was unthinkable for us to do otherwise. We never regretted doing it. The value of doing some things just can't be measured in dollars and cents.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Sorry to hear this, it's never easy.

I had to put down my dog a few years ago that I had had since I was 12. he was 15 and a half, and it was just time. I knew it was, but it didn't make it any easier.

I won't sugar coat it, it sucks. I miss him every single day, but it does get easier. Just know that you made the right decision and that you gave them 14 great years.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
In unrelated news, my youngest (freshman in HS) has his first varsity hockey game tonight.

I can still remember taking him to "Learn to Skate" when he was 5 years old. He got hooked on hockey when I let him stay up and watch the B's vs Habs 7 game series in 2007-08, and hasn't looked back. I doubt that he will play past HS (except maybe a Men's League), but it has been a great ride so far, and I'm excited for the next four years.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
yeah, if only i had said "too many companies" and "its a rare case"....oh wait, i did.

understand that your situation is very rare, for most companies employees are a bottom line commodity. Look at Bennys. They up and closed leaving the employees with nothing despite making $75 million on the real estate sale alone

edit: to BMC's point, this is more true with corporations rather than small/local businesses.

The company I work for is a $6 billion dollar business.

I read what you posted and offered a counterpoint. Every company and individual is different.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
yup.

When I started here there were fully paid benefits, a company pension plan, and decent sized life insurance policy.

Today, I pay $287 a week for healthcare...put in the full allowable amount into my 401k with zero match...no life insurance (I obviously have my own)...company is triple the size sales/profit wise.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I'm in the "older" generation, but I've moved around a lot on my own. And now that I'm in the consulting business, I know I won't say at a client for very long. My last contract got extended a couple of times and I was there for about 20 months. That's a long time. My current contract is for 4 months. It's the nature of the business that I chose. I've also moved between three different consulting companies, because I don't feel that loyalty is a huge thing any more (at least in my line of work). That may change with my current company, as I like them a lot. but ultimately, it will come down to whether or not they can get me my next contract.

Lou's experience is pretty typical - benefits dwindle, expectations increase, and pay struggles to keep up with the standard of living. Joe, I think your experience is more the exception than the norm. But I'm glad for your sake that you were with that particular company during your tough time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad