OT: Off-Topic Thread - Airing of Grievances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I wish all of you seeking jobs the best of the luck.

Meanwhile I sit at the other ende of the spectrum. Trying to get my name in for early retirement or just plain laid off as my corp. downsizes. So far they wont let me.

What a crazy world.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I'm employed til the end of the week, then my contract is over. Found out that a role I was really excited about in NYC was closed so it's off the table. More searching now. I have a network of recruiters in my line of work that I'll be in touch with over the next few days. I've already talked with some of them. I was really hoping to be able to stay with my current consulting company, but that may not work out.
and maybe try to steer clear of the expectation in your head. (you know what they say about narratives) ;)
accept and allow, let it all happen

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Meanwhile I sit at the other ende of the spectrum. Trying to get my name in for early retirement or just plain laid off as my corp. downsizes. So far they wont let me.

What a crazy world.

@Gee Wally

In 1981 I worked for the best company ever - Storer Broadcasting - I was the cameraman on this segment

In a few years most of us had to start hustling to be daily hires as corporate shenanigans changed the industry. I am fortunate that in 2005 I signed up with the Outdoor Life Network which became Versus and then NBC Sports.

I could walk away now and be secure....... but the reality is I still love what I do

But the crew's in the van
And they're waiting to go
We've got to drive all night and do a game in Chicago
Or Detroit, I don't know
We do so many games in a row
And these towns all look the same
We just pass the time in our hotel rooms
And wander 'round backstage
Till those lights come up and we hear that crowd
And the puck is dropped
And we remember why we came

Reactions: BMC and sooshii

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

What a crazy world.

I hope you get your wish.

I`m a frustrated job seeker. For 30 years I was in the Food and Beverage Industry and after I "cleaned" my act up I did something I didn`t think was possible for a HS dropout to do, I took loads of tests and qualified for admittance to Saint Mary`s University here. I spoke with a few Program and Career counselors about which programs would offer the best prospect for work upon completion and they agreed that the field of HR is one that is vast and in need of many candidates.

Graduated in 2014, have done everything they suggested, went to numerous networking events, sent out and hand delivered countless resume`s (since 2014 approx 500), make call backs for everywhere I applied and crickets. I have had 6 interviews in that time. My biggest hurdle is my bloody career in the restaurant biz. That`s all prospective employers see, they don`t look at my responsibilities as a Manager in those restaurants where performing HR tasks is a daily duty, recruiting, screening, interviews, payroll, scheduling, creating policy/procedure manuals, determining wage and compensation packages.

I don`t get it, if there is one positive, the ONLY interest I have garnered and have been asked to interview for are a number of HR positions in BC which Mrs Odaat and I are moving to upon completion of her program. They plucked my resume off LinkedIn but I had to decline possible consideration as I`m not going anywhere without her and the pooch.

So disheartening, I was so excited then proud to attend University, busted my arse, did everything suggested post graduation when job seeking and nothing. I`m not feeling sorry for myself, I have a job today but it`s back in the resto biz and while I`m grateful every day for having a job, it`s so frustrating

Reactions: BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
@Fenway - I hear you Kevin. But after doing the same thing every day for 40 years I'm just tired. Dont get me wrong I'm the luckiest guy on the planet .
But I want to see a bit of this country and world with the Bride while we are 'young' enough to do so. I want to sleep in on a snowy winter day. I want to drive places that require no timeline to get to. I want to stay up late and see a game finish. I want to wear jeans whenever the hell I please. I want to invest time in my grown kids that I couldn't when they were young due to work. I want my time I guess. Sounds selfish but I don't know how else to put it.

@ODAAT - I wish all the best for you Andrew. You've been through a lot in life. You strike me as a helluva guy. I believe good things come to good folks when least expected.

Reactions: Chief Nine

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
@Fenway - I hear you Kevin. But after doing the same thing every day for 40 years I'm just tired. Dont get me wrong I'm the luckiest guy on the planet .
But I want to see a bit of this country and world with the Bride while we are 'young' enough to do so. I want to sleep in on a snowy winter day. I want to drive places that require no timeline to get to. I want to stay up late and see a game finish. I want to wear jeans whenever the hell I please. I want to invest time in my grown kids that I couldn't when they were young due to work. I want my time I guess. Sounds selfish but I don't know how else to put it.

@ODAAT - I wish all the best for you Andrew. You've been through a lot in life. You strike me as a helluva guy. I believe good things come to good folks when least expected.

much appreciated friend, and right back at ya

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
@Gee Wally

In 1981 I worked for the best company ever - Storer Broadcasting - I was the cameraman on this segment

In a few years most of us had to start hustling to be daily hires as corporate shenanigans changed the industry. I am fortunate that in 2005 I signed up with the Outdoor Life Network which became Versus and then NBC Sports.

I could walk away now and be secure....... but the reality is I still love what I do

But the crew's in the van
And they're waiting to go
We've got to drive all night and do a game in Chicago
Or Detroit, I don't know
We do so many games in a row
And these towns all look the same
We just pass the time in our hotel rooms
And wander 'round backstage
Till those lights come up and we hear that crowd
And the puck is dropped
And we remember why we came

I thought that said "Stoner Broadcasting" and thought "hellyeah"

Also, love that song.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Job hunting is the worst. I can't even count how many resumes and cover letters I've sent out since I started looking back in August. I've had some call-backs, but mostly radio silence. I'm incredibly curious to know what the profiles are of candidates that have been chosen, or even made it to an interview.

I'm at that "in-between" point in my career, which I think it working against me. The jobs I'm applying for, Director-level HR jobs, I'm probably on the lower end of years of experience but still qualified in terms of experience and certifications. I don't want to make a lateral move. I know I'm ready for a challenge.

If I'm patient, I know I'll be rewarded eventually. Unfortunately patience isn't one of my strengths.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Job hunting is the worst. I can't even count how many resumes and cover letters I've sent out since I started looking back in August. I've had some call-backs, but mostly radio silence. I'm incredibly curious to know what the profiles are of candidates that have been chosen, or even made it to an interview.

I'm at that "in-between" point in my career, which I think it working against me. The jobs I'm applying for, Director-level HR jobs, I'm probably on the lower end of years of experience but still qualified in terms of experience and certifications. I don't want to make a lateral move. I know I'm ready for a challenge.

If I'm patient, I know I'll be rewarded eventually. Unfortunately patience isn't one of my strengths.

Best of luck, while I now hold my degree in HR and have my CHRP here, still nothing. I should also note that I haven`t applied for positions that I feel are over my head such as a Director of HR such as you have applied for.

I think my expectations are reasonable as I likely don`t have nearly the direct HR experience you do and while I think I am qualified to play a role in someone`s HR department, I`ve been realistic in my approach to what I would reasonably be suited for without ever holding an official HR title despite being the leader in positions which demand many HR roles.

I`ve been typically applying for HR Generalist/Assistant positions. Even more frustrating is I went to a local employment center who works with the Gov`t of NS, took part in workshops to try and enhance my portfolio and then qualified for a Gov`t program here which if a business were to give me an opportunity, they would qualify for a subsidy ranging from $10-$15,000 and still nothing, not so much as even a "thanks for applying".

So disheartening but as I said previously, I`m back in the restaurant biz, not where I want to be but this is path I`m on and I`m a believer it`s for a reason, still isn`t fun to work hard, do the right things and come up with bupkis

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Best of luck, while I now hold my degree in HR and have my CHRP here, still nothing. I should also note that I haven`t applied for positions that I feel are over my head such as a Director of HR such as you have applied for.

I think my expectations are reasonable and while I think I am qualified to play a role in someone`s HR department, I`ve been realistic in my approach to what I would reasonably be suited for without ever holding an official HR title despite being the leader in positions which demand many HR roles.

I`ve been typically applying for HR Generalist/Assistant positions. Even more frustrating is I went to a local employment center who works with the Gov`t of NS, took part in workshops to try and enhance my portfolio and then qualified for a Gov`t program here which if a business were to give me an opportunity, they would qualify for a subsidy ranging from $10-$15,000 and still nothing, not so much as even a "thanks for applying".

So disheartening but as I said previously, I`m back in the restaurant biz, not where I want to be but this is path I`m on and I`m a believer it`s for a reason, still isn`t fun to work hard, do the right things and come up with bupkis

For some reason, HR can be inaccessible mid-career. I think there's a stigma that "older workers" (so un-HR of me) won't be open to doing the grunt work that comes with a more entry-level HR position. Even though it's 2017 and a ton of things have moved electronic (employment authorizations, HRIS, employee files), there's still a lot of paperwork that needs to be done in HR.

Going the Generalist/Assistant route is smart as opposed to chasing higher paid positions to start, as it will give you some tangible HR experience. Have you been writing cover letters? Your experience in the restaurant industry has a lot of transferrable skills, but sometimes hiring managers/recruiters can be lazy and you need to connect the dots for them. A well-written cover letter is a huge asset.

Does your resume have a professional skills/objective section? I'm not a huge fan of those except in situations like this where you need to highlight how your experience is applicable to what you're applying for.

If you want to send me your resume, I'm happy to take a look at it for you.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Companies these days are treating job seekers worse than ever. It's a buyers market, and they're no longer even pretending to give a crap about you as a potential employee/person. The irony is that if you send a resume in and get no response, what does that really say about the company? Is that really a place that will value you and invest in you as an asset? To me, if the company has dropped the pretense of being a decent place to work, then it's for the best. The last thing you want to do is sign on and find out 3 months in that you're viewed as nothing more than a replaceable cog.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
For some reason, HR can be inaccessible mid-career. I think there's a stigma that "older workers" (so un-HR of me) won't be open to doing the grunt work that comes with a more entry-level HR position. Even though it's 2017 and a ton of things have moved electronic (employment authorizations, HRIS, employee files), there's still a lot of paperwork that needs to be done in HR.

Going the Generalist/Assistant route is smart as opposed to chasing higher paid positions to start, as it will give you some tangible HR experience. Have you been writing cover letters? Your experience in the restaurant industry has a lot of transferrable skills, but sometimes hiring managers/recruiters can be lazy and you need to connect the dots for them. A well-written cover letter is a huge asset.

Does your resume have a professional skills/objective section? I'm not a huge fan of those except in situations like this where you need to highlight how your experience is applicable to what you're applying for.

If you want to send me your resume, I'm happy to take a look at it for you.

I do attach cover letters, I find this is what takes the most time when applying somewhere as obviously I attempt to tailor it towards what the particular company is seeking.

I put together my resume with the career counsellor I was assigned, it has a "Core Competencies" . If you PM me your email (if your comfortable with that) I`d love your feedback on my resume. Thank you, and I hear ya, all I want is a chance to get my foot in the door, more than willing to work from the bottom up, wouldn`t expect it differently. Rggggggggg frustrating. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad