Speculation: Off Season Trade Thread Vol. IX - "Spezza's Last Week?" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Stone is definitely fringe. He has raw scoring abilities similar to Heatley, but his poor skating could easily make him a flop like Butler.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Do you think we could package Methot with Spezza and get a higher return such as Backstrom from Wash, Staal from Car, or Giroux from Philly?

Philly laughs and hangs up if the Sens offer that for Giroux.
I doubt Spezza would go to Carolina but a Staal-Spez swap is kind of interesting.
As for Washington, I doubt they would be looking to deal Backstrom.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Then you and I have different definitions of *''great''. In 19 GP last year he looked like a guy who belongs on an NHL roster full-time. That's where I land on Stone.
Fair enough ,he is an nhler .what tier remains to be seen.As with most our kids both up front and on the defense

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I mean the stable of mediocre forwards that we have. Guys that are suited to a fringe role that are forced to do more than their skillset allows:

Hoffman, Stone, Greening, Condra, Neil, Pageau, Smith (even though I like him)

Everyone needs a 4th line, problem is we have 2.5 of them.

I'll give you Greening, and Neil (if last year is gonna be the norm for both).

Condra is a solid defensive forward, who had ab even +/- last year, he's great on the penalty kill, and when you have a team that leads the league in penalties thats not a fringe role

Z Smith is the kinda guy you want on your 3/4 line, netted 13 goals including 4 game winners (same amount as Marleau, Vanek, Alfie, Tavares), 3 more than Hemsky had all year. Is he as good as any of those players? Hell no.... is he still a valuable asset? Yes, he draws a lot of penalties, and won more faceoffs than crosby, Sedin, O'reilly on average last year.

Hoffman, Stone, Pageau... too early to til, wait for them to have a full NHL season under their belt to pass judgment.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Maybe you need to qualify what you mean by 'scrub'... I take that to mean a player with no potential, and just filler.

Dictionary.com went with:

"a small or insignificant person"

If you asked me to list the "insignificant" sens players, I would give you that list of guys. I was torn on Smith (which I noted).

EDIT: In pageau's case, both elements of the definition apply.

Last edited:

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Dictionary.com went with:

"a small or insignificant person"

If you asked me to list the "insignificant" sens players, I would give you that list of guys. I was torn on Smith (which I noted).

shoot, it's not like there's gonna be much else to talk about for the next 5 days, except endless (mainly pointless) speculation lol

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Condra is a fantastic role player

Disagree.

Condra wouldn't have a job on many NHL teams except bottom feeders. He can't pass, can't shoot, isn't physical, has hands of stone.

If you play/played hockey at a good/respectable level you would know that playing on the PK isn't really hard, you have to skate, clear the puck and have a good stick, hockey IQ. Many players on our team can do it.

Zibanejad, Michalek, Turris, Ryan, MacArthur, Pageau, Greening and I could go on.

Of course you have to keep them rested sometimes but Condra isn't a fantastic role player IMO.

Not that he's costing us games but just my opinion (He did cost us some last year though)

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Condra is a fantastic role player

once lazar has a few games under his belt he'll likely be able to do everything condra does and more. i like condra, he looks like a good locker room guy and a leader for the younger guys, but lazar will have all that too.
maybe if more spots open up then there will be room for everyone. as is now, i'd say condra is/should be/will be the odd man out.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Condra's reputation as great PKer was forged in a year that the goaltenders played out of their mind and the team had some ridiculous luck in all respects bar injuries.

Last year, Condra led all Sens forwards in shorthanded TOI and the PK was awful.

So one year the PK is good and you give them the credit to the goalies, but this year the PK sucks and you blame Condra? Goalies were pretty awful this year, wouldn't you say?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It's pretty simple - Lazar will be given the opportunity to outplay Condra in preseason and probably for a 9 game stretch. if he does, he will secure a spot with the Sens for sure. If it is close between them, I still think he makes it. If he struggles at all (quite possible), he'll likely be sent down. But he'll be given a solid opportunity, likely getting better ice time and linemates than Condra during preseason, as an extended audition to show he belongs or not (The team knows what Condra brings to the table already).

With Ryan, Stone and Neil locked in on the right side, Condra is really the only guy he needs to show he is an upgrade over, and given Condra's versatility (can play LW too), it is not a big deal, as he'll find a place in the line-up on many nights whether Lazar is here full time or not.

Seems like a good chance, but the spot won't be given to him. There is also the chance he gets hurt or banged up, in which case he might be sent back. He basically only played very briefly with the team last year before hurting his shoulder, so he needs to show he can stay healthy playing against men too.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
so you slot Lazar as a 3-4 liner? really?

As a rookie, of course.

Are you thinking Lazar'll step in to a top 6 roll on the right side right away? I really don't see that happening with Ryan and Stone slotted into top 6 spots on the RW, plus Zibanejad might also get a look on the right side, depending whether we have another center come in or not.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I just saw that... great deal for CBJ.

Get the better player, roughly the same cap hit, same age. Two extra years on the contract is a risk, but Hartnell >>> Umberger, IMO.

Yep, I see the reasoning for Philly though. 1) Hamburger's contract is two years shorter than Hartnell's that has five years left. 2) Culture change in the room 3) Hartnell's contract means he can't fetch a huge return anyways.

They lose obviously, but it makes sense.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yep, I see the reasoning for Philly though. 1) Hamburger's contract is two years shorter than Hartnell's that has five years left. 2) Culture change in the room 3) Hartnell's contract means he can't fetch a huge return anyways.

They lose obviously, but it makes sense.

Yeah, but Hartnell earns his cap hit.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Will he in 2-3 years from now though? Philly fans noticed a drop-off in his play this season, so what would happen down the road?

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
Saw a rumour on mynhltraderumors that the Sens could be interested in James Neal? Would be a pretty solid pickup for our top 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad