Speculation: Off Season Trade Thread Vol. IX - "Spezza's Last Week?" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Patrik Berglund would not be a bad fit at all.

He's big, he's defensively responsible, he can play both C and W.

You have to look at who would fit into the type of system Maclean wants to have, and Berglund fits.

He'd be great at insulating Turris (who will wear down going against the bigger centers in the league for 82 games) and handling the more defensive/shutdown role.

He reminds me of Radek Bonk, and for the type of team we'll have to be to win games, that's not a bad thing.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Sens sit at 50.405 in cap $
Floor is $52.5

Take out Spezza and we are about $9.1M below the floor.

We can make that up with:

Michalek
Gryba
Hoffman
Lehner
Whoever comes back in the Spezza deal

That should about do it, so no concerns re being below the floor.

Doesn't address the fact that half the team will consist of scrubs though.

list the scrubs

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
St. Louis, who had one team on his list, got a rental and picks.

Vanek #1, a rental, got a rental and picks

Vanek #2, even more of a rental, got a B prospect

Miller, a rental, got picks.

I don't see a player of Berglund's stature anywhere. If you want an established young player who is not a rental. You are going to have to take less overall value then if you simply want picks and players that can walk.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Pretty much the team to be bad if that's what we have come to accept here. I hope the fan base is ready for it because reading these boards it doesn't look like it is!

Dark times ahead
We will probably end up being one of the youngest teams in the league ,so by adding a young solid two way center to support. Our kids like Zbad,Lazar and stone we are A fail??

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
St. Louis, who had one team on his list, got a rental and picks.

Vanek #1, a rental, got a rental and picks

Vanek #2, even more of a rental, got a B prospect

Miller, a rental, got picks.

I don't see a player of Berglund's stature anywhere. If you want an established young player who is not a rental. You are going to have to take less overall value then if you simply want picks and players that can walk.

Vanek – when he was traded with roughly a season left on his deal – got Matt Moulson (better than Berglund) and the Islander's first round pick in what is being lauded as a very, very good draft (and likely a high lottery pick at that).

On the others you're comparing deadline deals to off-season deals – a very different animal.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
??or do you mean young players that struggled last season

I mean the stable of mediocre forwards that we have. Guys that are suited to a fringe role that are forced to do more than their skillset allows:

Hoffman, Stone, Greening, Condra, Neil, Pageau, Smith (even though I like him)

Everyone needs a 4th line, problem is we have 2.5 of them.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Do you think we could package Methot with Spezza and get a higher return such as Backstrom from Wash, Staal from Car, or Giroux from Philly?

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Pretty much the team to be bad if that's what we have come to accept here. I hope the fan base is ready for it because reading these boards it doesn't look like it is!

Dark times ahead

Really? the majority of people here are glass half empty types, look at the names of the majority of the threads...its become a cesspool

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
We will probably end up being one of the youngest teams in the league ,so by adding a young solid two way center to support. Our kids like Zbad,Lazar and stone we are A fail??

He's not that young, he's 26 years old, he won't get any better and he isn't solid just because he comes from a powerhouse team like St-Louis. Honestly just asking what do you expect him to do on this team?

And I view this more like this ; we are losing a PPG All-Star center and expecting our kids to come in and break everything is not realistic. I have high hopes for Zibanejad I think he's ready for a bigger role but not so sure about the others. Our defense is a mess, too. Can Cowen rebound or will he look like Patrick the Star in SpongeBob again? can Weircioch step it up and start winning puck battles, improve his speed and strenght or will he again be a giant spaghetti on skates? How will Michalek play this year?

Lots of question marks going into next season I tell you, I hope Eugene is ready cause I doubt many people will show up at the games to watch Greening Smith and Neil play 15mins a night (I will)

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I mean the stable of mediocre forwards that we have. Guys that are suited to a fringe role that are forced to do more than their skillset allows:

Hoffman, Stone, Greening, Condra, Neil, Pageau, Smith (even though I like him)

Everyone needs a 4th line, problem is we have 2.5 of them.
Hense why a guy like berglund fits ,add to this Lazar will be given a close look and might make the team.I would prefer a prospect like him playing with a guy like berglund over smith.And i dont want to green a third line by playing zbad there.Stone looked great with mac and turris why not let him stay there,and help out zibby by putting ryan beside him.

Neil is a bench player along with hoffman .JGP needs more time in bingo

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
agree re Stone. He will never be a top 6 player.

Disagree, his skills and hockey IQ alone will make up for his lack of speed, the guy has really good vision and stick work is excellent, he'll be a 50-55pts player someday IMO, just not next year

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No one is expecting much from this team

Even without Spezza the Senators have a decent shot at making the playoffs

That's the only thing that matters: the Senators have to make the playoffs for the season to be a success

If that happens I'm happy, even if we get destroyed once the dance starts

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He's not that young, he's 26 years old, he won't get any better and he isn't solid just because he comes from a powerhouse team like St-Louis. Honestly just asking what do you expect him to do on this team?

And I view this more like this ; we are losing a PPG All-Star center and expecting our kids to come in and break everything is not realistic. I have high hopes for Zibanejad I think he's ready for a bigger role but not so sure about the others. Our defense is a mess, too. Can Cowen rebound or will he look like Patrick the Star in SpongeBob again? can Weircioch step it up and start winning puck battles, improve his speed and strenght or will he again be a giant spaghetti on skates? How will Michalek play this year?

Lots of question marks going into next season I tell you, I hope Eugene is ready cause I doubt many people will show up at the games to watch Greening Smith and Neil play 15mins a night (I will)
Yep ,agreed but its what happening .We also need to see what we have in them .Berglund fits this either in a second line role if zbad struggles,or helping with another kid in lazar,stone etc if they struggle

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He may well be an NHL'er, I don't think it's crazy for me to think that his career will be as a bottom 6 guy.

Just because we play him on the second line occasionally does mean he has top 6 talent.
He played with mac and turris last season ,and looked great doing it :nod:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You're labelling high end prospects aged 23, 21, 22, 20 years old, with a collective 350 games between them, scrubs?

Is your name John Ferguson Jr or Mike Milbury?
No not at, all the op stated half the team were scrubs .We are very young any full of potential ,both up front and on defense.We will rise or fall on their backs for the most part next season:nod:

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
He may well be an NHL'er, I don't think it's crazy (or offensive) for me to think that his career will be as a bottom 6 guy.

Just because we play him on the second line occasionally does mean he has top 6 talent.

No, being a point-per-game guy in the WHL and very nearly a point-per-game guy in the AHL while being outstanding at the WJC's for his country makes me think that he has top 6 talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad