Proposal: Off-Season Moves

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Im really judging it by what I see on the ice. I really don't like looking at advanced stats and isolating between mcdrai and the rest of the team because quite frankly the rest of the forward group is shit besides those 2. And it's not like he hasn't put up big numbers before, he was awesome on the AVS for all those years and there was plenty of talk trying to trade Nuge for him.

If he's looking for a big pay day then I'd agree you let him walk. But, if he is willing to take a reasonable deal I just think you can't walk from that after years and years and years of having no d man who could make a break out pass and skate with the puck like Barrie has. For all his warts I don't think he's nearly as bad defensively as we were led to believe. I find myself saying "WTF BARRIE" less as the season progresses. He just looks very comfortable on the team and his pairing with Nurse has been fantastic all year.

The biggest problem is that neither him nor Bouchard can play the PK which is why we haven't seen Bouchard over bear because you need 2 reliable pairings to be able to play PK. Realistically Tipp should be playing 7 d cause our 4th line is putrid, but I digress.

At the end of the day if Klef is out you almost need to resign him. The team struggles way too much when we can't make a breakout pass. Barrie has been our only player all year who's been able to do that. Nurse has put up nice goals and has added a but more offense to his game but Barrie is the offensive driver from our backend.

I put a little bit more stock into the analytics then you. I love watching Barrie play and its clear he can play well with gifted players. I just do not have any interest in signing a guy long-term who's offence dries up and defensive play gets even worse without mcdavid.

Now on a 1 year mercenary deal, hell yeah, sign me up. Load him up with McDrai every time and let them go to work. But I just dont think that a sustainable way to build your top pairing.

Reactions: Anarchism

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I put a little bit more stock into the analytics then you. I love watching Barrie play and its clear he can play well with gifted players. I just do not have any interest in signing a guy long-term who's offence dries up and defensive play gets even worse without mcdavid.

Now on a 1 year mercenary deal, hell yeah, sign me up. Load him up with McDrai every time and let them go to work. But I just dont think that a sustainable way to build your top pairing.

What would you be ok signing him for? To me I don't sign him anything longer than 3-4 years and even then I'd be more inclined to go 2-3. Maybe 5.5-6 MAX. I really don't like the idea of finally finding an offensive d man who generates chances at his rate and letting him go because we might have a rookie to fill in. It's a disaster waiting to happen if we go into next year with Nurse being on the top PP. not because he's not capable of it but because he's already playing so much as is you cant expect him to play 30+ every night.

I strongly believe that Barrie's addition has improved the offense from our entire backend. Might just be a coincidence but Nurse (mainly Nurse), Larsson, and to an extent Russell look much better offensively this year. Jumping into plays and actually making ok passes rather than just glass and out. Bear and Jones have been a disaster all year so I'm leaving them out of that.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
What would you be ok signing him for? To me I don't sign him anything longer than 3-4 years and even then I'd be more inclined to go 2-3. Maybe 5.5-6 MAX. I really don't like the idea of finally finding an offensive d man who generates chances at his rate and letting him go because we might have a rookie to fill in.

Does he generate chances though or his he "also in picture"?

It's a disaster waiting to happen if we go into next year with Nurse being on the top PP. not because he's not capable of it but because he's already playing so much as is you cant expect him to play 30+ every night.

If Klefbom comes back he can slide back into that spot. Otherwise I don't see why someone like Bouchard or Bear couldn't take that spot and not miss a beat.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Does he generate chances though or his he "also in picture"?

If Klefbom comes back he can slide back into that spot. Otherwise I don't see why someone like Bouchard or Bear couldn't take that spot and not miss a beat.

Not sure what you mean by "also in picture"

Klef could slot back there but who knows if he's even coming back at this point. And if he does come back how is his shot going to be affected after that surgery.

Tbh I think Klef on this D core would be amazing and a top 4 of Nurse - Barrie and then Klef - Larss would be very strong in our Division.

I doubt Bear slots in there and has the same production. He's nowhere near the offensive player Barrie is. Bouchard is a really tough one for me. I really like him but I don't see him filling in as the top PP d man as a rookie. He's too green and makes too many piss poor defensive plays to be relied on as such. If he's on the pp it's next to Nurse imo and then we're back to having nurse playing too many minutes.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
What would you be ok signing him for? To me I don't sign him anything longer than 3-4 years and even then I'd be more inclined to go 2-3. Maybe 5.5-6 MAX. I really don't like the idea of finally finding an offensive d man who generates chances at his rate and letting him go because we might have a rookie to fill in. It's a disaster waiting to happen if we go into next year with Nurse being on the top PP. not because he's not capable of it but because he's already playing so much as is you cant expect him to play 30+ every night.

I strongly believe that Barrie's addition has improved the offense from our entire backend. Might just be a coincidence but Nurse (mainly Nurse), Larsson, and to an extent Russell look much better offensively this year. Jumping into plays and actually making ok passes rather than just glass and out. Bear and Jones have been a disaster all year so I'm leaving them out of that.

I like the idea of short term, high cap. Some thing like 1-2 years, 5.5. I think Bouchard will be ready to provide offence soon and that will buy him some time to age gracefully into that role.

Reactions: McNuge

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I like the idea of short term, high cap. Some thing like 1-2 years, 5.5. I think Bouchard will be ready to provide offence soon and that will buy him some time to age gracefully into that role.
For sure, I'd be over the moon if he signed for just 1 year but I can't see him doing that again. Bouch should be ready after a full season to take top PP duties. I would absolutely hate if we thrust him into an overwhelming role and were stuck with another Schultz.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
This is so hard because there's so much we don't know regarding Holloway signing an NHL contract or Klefbomb's injury status.

Player Evaluations: UFA's and RFA's

• Mike Smith - Has played far above expectations, but there's no room for him assuming we chase a starting G (can't see us trading Kosk, not buying him out).
  • Chiasson - Let him walk.
  • Khaira - Give an extension. He works on the 4th line. Useful on PK, provides size, stands up for teammates, doesn't shy from contact.
  • Kahun - Leaning towards letting him walk. He might be a useful 3rd line LW, but we have internal solutions for that. He hasn't produced well given the opportunity he's been given.
  • Haas - I like him as a utility extra F.
  • Shore - He's earned a contract, he fits on the 4th line with Khaira and Archibald.
  • Larsson - He's been solid, I extend him. We don't have another physical, defensive D on our right side.
  • Barrie - I'm only willing to give him up to $5m over a max term of 3 years. The expectation was that he'd come in to pump his stats and get a big contract elsewhere. Not getting my hopes up.
  • Yamamoto - 2 year bridge contract.
  • Nuge - Term is whatever, but I offer max $6.5m or let him walk.
  • Koekkoek - He was solid, but we have so many young LD that are close to the NHL, I let him walk.
  • Ennis - Let him walk.
  • Nygard - Let him walk.
  • P.Russell - Let him walk.

Expansion Draft

Protect 7F-3D
7F: McDavid, Draisaitl, JP, Yamamoto, Nuge, Benson, Archibald
3D: Nurse, Bear, Larsson

We made the post-season this year without Klefbomb, I think we can do it again. He's a big question mark, how much has he regressed and how long will it take for him to return to form? Will he? After Barrie walks, and Bear is claimed (should he be claimed) we're barren on the right-side.

I think 2LD will have to be a patch job, much like this year, with the hopes that someone grabs the job at the start of next season. It will be a bumpy road, but I'm willing to bet that one of Jones, Lagesson, Samorukov, or Broberg will emerge as a 2LD in 2022/23.

We have a nice young forward core shaping up. And I'd prefer to keep that together over protecting Klefbomb if he's cleared.

Internal Solutions:
Benson: Middle-6 LW - If given the same opportunity and patience given to Kahun, I think Benson would have produced as well, if not better.
McLeod: 3LW or 3C - I'd like to start him off at 3LW as a rookie playing beside a veteran 3C to break him into the league.
Marody: It's hard to find him a spot. We have Yamamoto and JP on the skill lines, Kassian is the vet bottom-6 RW with size/speed/skill, and Archibald is more suited to a 4th line role.
Lavoie: Expecting him to play a full season in the AHL, could see him getting a look if Yams/JP get injured.
Holloway: 3C or top 6 LW - A full season of the AHL would be the responsible thing to do (going from AJHL -> NCAA -> NHL top 6 is a steep development curve). Not hard to imagine him getting an opportunity as early as next season.
Samorukov: 2LD or 3LD - Had a stellar season in the KHL playing top 4 minutes. Very well-rounded player. NHL ready imo, he could easily surprise and I strongly feel that if he continues his upward trajectory he should be a staple in our top 4.
Broberg: Very up and down season in the SHL. I'm expecting a full season in the AHL.

Off-season Moves:
- Sign a vet 3C to a stop-gap deal.
- Go after a starting G.
- Buyout Neal
- Sign Kulikov or some fringe 2LD to a stop-gap deal assuming Klefbomb is claimed
- If Nuge walks I do a Toronto->Tavares esque run after Hamilton lol. I'm assuming Nuge gets signed.

Roster Projection:
Holloway/McDavid/JP
Nuge/Draisatil/Yams
McLeod/Vet 3C/Kassian
Shore/Khaira/Archibald
Haas/Benson

Nurse/Bear
(Lagesson, Jones, or Kulikov)/Larsson
Samorukov/Bouchard

Ullmark/Koskinen

Nuge is better with Drai than McDavid. The prospect of Holloway/JP as McDavid's wingers is tantalizing. Both are big and go hard on the forecheck, have skill, and go to the dirty areas (Holloway moreso). I think Samorukov+Bouchard has the potential to be an excellent pairing now and long-term.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It would be a lot easier to gauge how close Bouchard is if he would get some playing time with Connor and Leon. He's played less than 1/10 of the time Barrie has with them. Would it hurt Tippett to run Nurse-Bouchard for a few games?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Koskinen might be a player that can be parlayed into a productive forward. He's not untradable.

I just checked, and I had forgotten that he only has one year left. I still think Koskinen would be considered a negative asset at that cap hit but seeing the term lengths it would be better to unload Kassian. I think Kassian can be a lot better than we've seen this year, but that contract is a liability.

Oct 15, 2017
Gett Mcdavid Jaden Schwartz or Tatar, Sign Lowry as 3C , sign Nuge(potentially), get a goalie

My only concern is Nuges contract, from what scouts have said, and from what ive seen of Holloway he is going to be taking some of Nuges playing time with PK and other spots. Essentially is younger, faster, bigger, better faceoff version of Nuge, LW who can play C. So i would not be surprised if Holland lets him walk if term or $ go too high.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Gett Mcdavid Jaden Schwartz or Tatar, Sign Lowry as 3C , sign Nuge(potentially), get a goalie

My only concern is Nuges contract, from what scouts have said, and from what ive seen of Holloway he is going to be taking some of Nuges playing time with PK and other spots. Essentially is younger, faster, bigger, better faceoff version of Nuge, LW who can play C. So i would not be surprised if Holland lets him walk if term or $ go too high.

I'm not sold on Lowry. Underlying numbers aren't that great and I think he's another of those guys overachieving going into UFA that might trick someone into overpaying. I also think we've seen the best of him in the games against us, but that's not his every game.

Oilers90

Oct 2, 2019
Did schwartz play with Mcdavid at the world champs without much success? Or am I misremembering?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00