Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 11th: BJ's like Dickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Top two prospects? Where did you hear Gose was involved?

I've just been reading the posts in the last thread, a lot of people were assuming Gose was in the deal as well, because the trade was "bigger" than that.

For the last time, age does not matter. At all.

Yes it does. Sure, he may be able to pitch well (mid 70s-80s for him) for a couple of more seasons, but you don't think playing baseball all of his life is going to take its toll on his body? He could have problems with any part of his body, and might become a whole lot more injury prone.

I have no idea how people are so certain a 38 year old pitcher will carry on at this pace.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I have been paying attention to this situation in the baseball section too.

Seems alot of fans of other teams hope this goes through.

So they can get TDA out of the division/league................

If I'm the Yankees Redsox Tampa or the Rays...

I'd much rather face Happ and Darnaud than Dickey and JP.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
For the last time, yes it does.

Other parts of a 38 year old body can break down even if his pitch is easier on his arm. Also Wakfield and Candiotti both started to decline around 38.

wakefiled pitched till he was 44, phil nierko 48, joe nierko 43, candiotti 41

we need him to do well over the next 2-3, but we could have him for 5 years of service, which is fine for a pitcher. pitchers of all age break down at different times - life is unpredictable. Him being 38 isn't a problem, he reached his prime late, so what.

If he was 20 we wouldn't be able to even think of acquiring him. Him being 38 helps us in this situation, and I'll take a 38 year old Dickey over no Dickey at all.

Yes it does. Sure, he may be able to pitch well (mid 70s-80s for him) for a couple of more seasons,

I have no idea how people are so certain a 38 year old pitcher will carry on at this pace.

He's not a velocity pitcher.

Also, let's remember he has a freak arm with that tendon (?) missing...so no strain there.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Read it doesnt change my mind. I admit the knuckler is easier on an arm. 38 year olds can get injuries to other parts of their bodies.

So what do you think will happen to him? He'll break a hip? Any player can get injured for other parts of their bodies. Dickey's arm is the most important. Almost the only thing that matters in terms of his longevity.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I've just been reading the posts in the last thread, a lot of people were assuming Gose was in the deal as well, because the trade was "bigger" than that.

Yes it does. Sure, he may be able to pitch well (mid 70s-80s for him) for a couple of more seasons, but you don't think playing baseball all of his life is going to take its toll on his body? He could have problems with any part of his body, and might become a whole lot more injury prone.

The guy just had his best statistical season at age 38. He's been throwing the knuckleball for less than 5 full seasons.

Every statistic out there shows that his season wasn't a fluke. He's had ace level numbers for 3 years now. His 35,36,37 aged seasons were his best, and he got better this year.

There is more certainty involving Dickey pitching at a top of the rotation level for the next 5 years than there is saying D'Arnaud will be an above average starting mlb catcher for the next 5 years.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Hope you guys dont mind a canucks fan in here, but this thread follows the jays much better then our own.

I dont mind the goose+J.P for dickey.

I would rather not trade D'Arnaud, but it sounds like it was him or no deal.

"Andy Martino of the New York Daily News was told by “a person with direct knowledge of the discussions†that during the Winter Meetings, d’Arnaud was a “must have†for the Mets to do a trade with the Blue Jays. Toronto resisted at the time, but a person involved in the potential trade has expressed a “gut feeling†that d’Arnaud may be involved."

Some seem to think AA should have told them to bad, but if this is going to be the year we go for it.... I dont know....

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Travis D'Arnaud, Emilio Bonifacio, Sam Dyson, Adam Lind

for

R.A. Dickey, Ike Davis, Daniel Murphy
JP isn't moving Bonifacio.

He wouldn't have traded for Johnson, Reyes, and Buerhle without Bonifacio. He's not just gonna flip him.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Why do people want Ike Davis? He's worse than Lind..

the Mets play in one of the biggest pitchers parks in the MLB, outside of Citi field he is a .900 OPS hitter.

He basically projects as a 30 HR and good OBP hitter as well as being left handed and good defensively at 1B. Basically what Adam Lind was supposed to be after he won a silver slugger award. Think a younger Adam Laroche.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Don't forget this little x-factor: This is the 2nd most incompetent MLB organization we are dealing with here. Not sure about their prospect development rep, though.

Why do people want Ike Davis? He's worse than Lind..

Citi Field is a power sucker. He has a .900 OPS on the road. Plus, he can defend 1B.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
When do you guys think the trade will be finalized? Is it safe to sleep?

Who knows. These things can get leaked out at any point. Doesn't mean it's confirmed by the league.. (refer to last trade took a while)

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
wakefiled pitched till he was 44, phil nierko 48, joe nierko 43, candiotti 41

we need him to do well over the next 2-3, but we could have him for 5 years of service, which is fine for a pitcher. pitchers of all age break down at different times - life is unpredictable. Him being 38 isn't a problem, he reached his prime late, so what.

If he was 20 we wouldn't be able to even think of acquiring him. Him being 38 helps us in this situation, and I'll take a 38 year old Dickey over no Dickey at all.

He's not a velocity pitcher.

Also, let's remember he has a freak arm with that tendon (?) missing...so no strain there.
Wakfield pitched till he was 44 but he wasnt as good as when he was younger he had 1 really good season after 38. Same with Candiotti, 1 good season after 38. Nikero was a freak.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
the Mets play in one of the biggest pitchers parks in the MLB, outside of Citi field he is a .900 OPS hitter.

He basically projects as a 30 HR and good OBP hitter as well as being left handed and good defensively at 1B. Basically what Adam Lind was supposed to be after he won a silver slugger award. Think a younger Adam Laroche.
Ahh, fair enough. His OBP scares me though. I also thought he was much older, so I'd be okay with Davis.

Wouldn't want to move Lind yet though because I think he's going to kill it with Chad helping him out.

This is just flat out inaccurate.
I'm a big OBP guy and Davis doesn't have that. But if it's true that he's only bad in New York, then good. For some reason I thought he was older though, so I'd be willing to have him in the deal.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Don't forget this little x-factor: This is the 2nd most incompetent MLB organization we are dealing with here. Not sure about their prospect development rep, though.

Citi Field is a power sucker. He has a .900 OPS on the road. Plus, he can defend 1B.

This exactly.

Davis last season had more value than Lind every year since his silver slugger year.

This was also somewhat of a sophomore slump year for him, as he was injured last year, and wasn't even 100% to start the year (broken ankle).

Put him in RC and he hits 40 HR's with ease.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Also I guess the blow for some of you will be a bit less knowing that it seems to be only D'Arnaud going. I didn't see any mention of Gose in Passan's tweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad