Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - So now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah Liriano trade does fit the bill for sure.

You know MLB has told the Dodgers they need to comply with their financial policy and reduce the payroll to meet debt to service ratio...i think that is what it is.

So the Dodger might be willing to throw in a decent prospect to alleviate some payroll. You won't be getting a grade A guy but find a decent OF as you need to replenish the OF depth in the org

The organizational depth in the OF is fine. You shouldn't need more than Pompey/Ramirez in AAA with Alford right behind them.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The organizational depth in the OF is fine? You shouldn't need more than Pompey/Ramirez in AAA with Alford right behind them.

Yeah, depth is actually a real strength. They have Upton and Carrera in the majors, Pompey and Ramirez likely starting in AAA, Alford and Gurriel at AA... the problem is that they only have one legitimate, starting-calibre major league outfielder.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

toronto – let’s, for a moment, go beyond the stunning financial commitment the los angeles dodgers made to retain closer kenley jansen, third baseman justin turner and starter rich hill, and focus instead on the way the national league west champions brought them back.

Re-signing one free agent after he hits the open market, let alone three, is a significant feat, especially with the competition being particularly fierce for jansen. Once other teams can enter the fray, there’s no way to fully predict the actual motivations of others and how that may sway negotiations.

Still, the dodgers, to their credit, gave all three players time to assess the market and examine their options without rushing to find an alternative, understanding they wanted them back and the trio ultimately wanted to return.

The mutual interest is key and, obviously, being able to drop $192 million is pivotal, but the main takeaway for fans of the toronto blue jays is the patience shown by andrew friedman and company.

had the blue jays approached edwin encarnacion’s free agency in a similar fashion, he’d surely have ended up signing for something in the vein of that line-in-the-sand, $80-million, four-year offer.

Instead, encarnacion understandably refused to be rushed into a decision (he’s earned that right), the blue jays almost immediately opened negotiations with kendrys morales, and within days completed a $33-million, three-year deal that effectively blocked off any chance of an encarnacion return.

Given how much common ground there was, it’s an awful, awful way to part with a franchise icon.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm probably opening up a can of worms here, but remember that AA is in the Dodgers front office...

Seems kinda irrelevant. Dodgers have a great front office, but if those same people were in in the position we're in with about 25 million to spend things would be working the way they are over there. And if we had 250 million to spend we'd be doing things differently here

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

Hindsight is fun but had we done that what if he signed elsewhere? We could have missed a chance on Morales and lose him anyways. Had EE just signed a very good offer (4/80), he wouldn't be in the situation he is. It isn't like we lowballed him. It's just he wanted 5/100 because his agent said he was worth it and that was never going to happen.

Edit: Didn't realize someone pointed that out lol

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I'm probably opening up a can of worms here, but remember that AA is in the Dodgers front office...

I think LA is Jbau's likeliest destination, AA or no AA.

...and I also think that he'll be signing his deal on June 12th, so we won't be seeing any picks from him.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004

What's that? So you're saying the organization who took old-and-busted executive of the year 2015, the guy who was unceremoniously ushered out for the new-hotness Shapkins has performed... *ahem*... better than said "hotness"? You don't say!

Careful, some in here might not like the taste of that cold swig of reality :)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think LA is Jbau's likeliest destination, AA or no AA.

...and I also think that he'll be signing his deal on June 12th, so we won't be seeing any picks from him.

I don't think teams will be that reluctant to part with a draft pick. He'll find something before the season starts.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
Pretty foolish for Shi to think like this.

What if the Jays gave Edwin time and he got a 100 million offer, and Morales signed with another team in between.

Jats covered their back. Its about the team in the end and not the individual.

Hes just playing to the mathews33 and habenaros of the world, imagine the reaction if they bith signed, and napoli signed elsewhere and all we had to show for it was pearce?

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
What's that? So you're saying the organization who took old-and-busted executive of the year 2015, the guy who was unceremoniously ushered out for the new-hotness Shapkins has performed... *ahem*... better than said "hotness"? You don't say!

Careful, some in here might not like the taste of that cold swig of reality :)

Boy Wonder is grabbing Andrew Friedman's coffee in LA. LOL at attributing whatever success they are having (flopping in the playoffs?) to Anthopolous.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Hindsight is fun but had we done that what if he signed elsewhere? We could have missed a chance on Morales and lose him anyways. Had EE just signed a very good offer (4/80), he wouldn't be in the situation he is. It isn't like we lowballed him. It's just he wanted 5/100 because his agent said he was worth it and that was never going to happen.

Edit: Didn't realize someone pointed that out lol

Yeah I have no problem with how they handled things. You can't wait around because the players' agent is talking about how much his client loves the city, the people, the organization....but just wants to test the market.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

That's a brutal article.

Jays offered what was clearly a fair deal based on the fact he couldn't beat it and apparently can't even match it right now. EE chose to shop it around and get it beat, only to find crickets back in Toronto when he couldn't.

We were basically the girl waiting for EE to take us to prom. He knew he had us lined up and waiting but instead of just committing he decided to chase after some better looking women. We saw the writing on the wall and found other dates to the dance and Edwin has nobody to blame but himself.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I like the casual takes of 'lets ignore the outlay of money' and 'the Dodgers dropped $192 million'

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Seems pretty obvious Bautista is gonna end up somewhere with a one year prove himself contract.

EE looks like he's going to get a 2-3 year contract at most because of his greed and a lack of interest from other teams.

crazy because he probably could've gotten 4/90 or 4/85 if he didn't keep pushing.

Insane that a year ago Bautista was expecting a 5 year contract or at least many expected him to get one.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
^^ That's actually why I thought he might accept the QO. 1 year at17-18 mill isn't bad to try to prove yourself. He shouldn't be looking for the same term as EE after the year he had.

frost king

Dec 11, 2013
Seems pretty obvious Bautista is gonna end up somewhere with a one year prove himself contract.

EE looks like he's going to get a 2-3 year contract at most because of his greed and a lack of interest from other teams.

crazy because he probably could've gotten 4/90 or 4/85 if he didn't keep pushing.

Insane that a year ago Bautista was expecting a 5 year contract or at least many expected him to get one.

No team is going to give up a 1st Round Draft choice to sign Bautista for a year to let him prove himself. He has one of three options 1) get a multi year deal (3 yrs at a reduced rate, to justify the draft loss) 2) sign with the Jays at a reduced rate 3) sit out until the draft is over in June and sign with someone, for possibly more money than is being offered today, because there will be no loss of a 1st round choice associated with him. Scenerio 3, is the most likely option right now, but the one with the most risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad