Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - So now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Am I the only "hipster" who wouldn't take Jose back for free? lol

I am not part of the hipsters but I wouldn't take Jose back for free. Time to move on and allow new people to assume the the face of the franchise and let Donaldson and Tulo take over the team.

Jose's time is done and take his attitude with him. I am so glad he made that awesome contract statement at the start of the year. Funny how karma bites certain people in the ass.

Now sign EE and you have a better lineup than last year

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
We should resign both Edwin and Jose.

Frankly I just want to win now. They both could still be among the best hitters in baseball next year. The Jays as a business need to win and keep fans happy to draw 40,000+ and have well over a million dans watch every game on TV. Right now with the free agents left they need to resign both... win 95 games and make the playoffs again. Simple as that.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
As a refresher right now we're looking at OF options like this if we were heading into the season now:

Pearce/Upton - Pillar - Pompey/Zeke

?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It would suck to give up assets for a Granderson when we could have just paid money for Fowler.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

that 5 year discount thing was such an unnecessary way to start spring training off it really didn't sit well with me, even if you think that why go out of your way to let the world know? (I am going on that he called the media over to talk about it and it wasn't asked by the media). That coupled with all his other outbursts made me really not want him back

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
He can come off as a pompous ass for sure
Really liked the player though, just not sure he has it anymore. Certainly no as a an outfielder

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It would suck to give up assets for a Granderson when we could have just paid money for Fowler.

$18+ million for each of the next five years and the 22nd overall pick vs. $16 million for one year and whatever they ultimately have to give up (which is always fun to complain about before we know what it is).

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Its too bad the Jays couldn't use their financial muscle of Rogers being one of the richest owners in baseball to what the Leafs did to acquire some talented prospects and rebuild the farm on the go.

I would see that the Dodgers would be willing to add for the Jays to take on Andre Ethier's deal which has 1 year left and not sure if the vested year is in play but worse case it is a $2.5 mil buyout. He would be a lefthanded power hitter that can play the OF and if you can acquire one of their top 10 prospects why not take a chance on Ethier for one year.

No long term commitment and I think he is back to health so been pretty durable playing 130 or so games a year.

Good 1 year addition and maybe platoons with Pearce worse case.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Its too bad the Jays couldn't use their financial muscle of Rogers being one of the richest owners in baseball to what the Leafs did to acquire some talented prospects and rebuild the farm on the go.

I would see that the Dodgers would be willing to add for the Jays to take on Andre Ethier's deal which has 1 year left and not sure if the vested year is in play but worse case it is a $2.5 mil buyout. He would be a lefthanded power hitter that can play the OF and if you can acquire one of their top 10 prospects why not take a chance on Ethier for one year.

No long term commitment and I think he is back to health so been pretty durable playing 130 or so games a year.

Good 1 year addition and maybe platoons with Pearce worse case.

You mean like with the Liriano trade?

Also, the Ethier idea is a good one. Can't believe I didn't think of it myself..................................................................................................................................................

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS

Also, the Ethier idea is a good one. Can't believe I didn't think of it myself..................................................................................................................................................

Too bad you didn't see the Happ signing coming either. That one really caught you by surprise.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010

Yeah Liriano trade does fit the bill for sure.

You know MLB has told the Dodgers they need to comply with their financial policy and reduce the payroll to meet debt to service ratio...i think that is what it is.

So the Dodger might be willing to throw in a decent prospect to alleviate some payroll. You won't be getting a grade A guy but find a decent OF as you need to replenish the OF depth in the org

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah Liriano trade does fit the bill for sure.

You know MLB has told the Dodgers they need to comply with their financial policy and reduce the payroll to meet debt to service ratio...i think that is what it is.

So the Dodger might be willing to throw in a decent prospect to alleviate some payroll. You won't be getting a grade A guy but find a decent OF as you need to replenish the OF depth in the org

The Dodgers committing $200 million to three players this offseason suggests that maybe the debt talk was somewhat overstated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad