Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - So now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i wonder if we can get edwin on a smaller deal since it looks no one wants him.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
i wonder if we can get edwin on a smaller deal since it looks no one wants him.

To be honest with how the market has shifted, Blue Jays management should be taking advantage of this and going to ownership and asking for an increase in payroll as our opportunity to win is the next 2 years with this core.

Anything short of this is bad management by Atkins and Shapiro.

There isn't a market for both EE and Joey. Get a bump in payroll of 35 million for the next 2 years and bring them both back.

Counteract Boston and NYY going with pitching with putting together the most potent lineup in MLB history:

Bautista - RF
Travis - 2B
Donaldson - 3B
EE - 1B
Morales - DH
Tulo - SS
Pearce - LF
Martin - C
Pillar - CF

I can live with that lineup for a 2 year span and our pitching staff.

Seats will be filled every game, and playoffs revenue for the next 2 seasons. What else does Rogers want????

Get it done

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Baautista in RF again is asking for trouble. I don't think he can throw the ball home any better than a toddler at this point.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Baautista in RF again is asking for trouble. I don't think he can throw the ball home any better than a toddler at this point.

Having Joey and EE back on this team at a discounted price I would be all over it. We have the defensive replacements necessary for late innings in Upton and Carrera. Should not be an issue.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Counteract Boston and NYY going with pitching with putting together the most potent lineup in MLB history

Um... couple things... for one, they don't have to "counteract" Boston and New York's pitching since the Jays pitching is already as good as or better. And secondively, that might not even be the best Jays lineup of the last three years let alone the best lineup for any team ever.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Having Joey and EE back on this team at a discounted price I would be all over it. We have the defensive replacements necessary for late innings in Upton and Carrera. Should not be an issue.

Defense matters in the first seven innings too.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
And secondively, that might not even be the best Jays lineup of the last three years let alone the best lineup for any team ever.

That lineup is a lot closer to 'most man games lost in a single season ever' than 'best offense ever'

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
For me, we need a good outfielder more than a DH and bringing back EE or Jose means we can't get one.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I am shocked at the lack of interest in Jose and Edwin given their collective pedigree. If we can land them both on shorter term deals we should absolutely be all over it, even it means a slight bump in payroll.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
To be honest with how the market has shifted, Blue Jays management should be taking advantage of this and going to ownership and asking for an increase in payroll as our opportunity to win is the next 2 years with this core.

Anything short of this is bad management by Atkins and Shapiro.

There isn't a market for both EE and Joey. Get a bump in payroll of 35 million for the next 2 years and bring them both back.

Counteract Boston and NYY going with pitching with putting together the most potent lineup in MLB history:

Bautista - RF
Travis - 2B
Donaldson - 3B
EE - 1B
Morales - DH
Tulo - SS
Pearce - LF
Martin - C
Pillar - CF

I can live with that lineup for a 2 year span and our pitching staff.

Seats will be filled every game, and playoffs revenue for the next 2 seasons. What else does Rogers want????

Get it done
I'd be very comfortable with that lineup.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
For me, we need a good outfielder more than a DH and bringing back EE or Jose means we can't get one.

Eh you can bring one back and still have room for a OF

Bring me a mediocre contact hitting LF (Angel Pagan-ish) and EE and I'm pretty happy.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Eh you can bring one back and still have room for a OF

Bring me a mediocre contact hitting LF (Angel Pagan-ish) and EE and I'm pretty happy.

I would like someone with a better glove than Pagan, but on the free agent market, there are not really any of those players available right now. I would gladly take someone like Pagan for one OF spot, and then someone like Salty/Iannetta for the backup catcher spot. Essentially just somebody that Jimenez can battle with come the spring.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
They would have to come back at a heavily discounted price in order for our FO to sign them imo. It seems they appear more interested in the picks rather than the players right now.

Can someone more knowledgeable on the new CBA answer me this question. I believe under the new CBA it states players can only receive a QO once? So if we re-signed both for 1 year and they become free agents next year can we not qualify them since we didn't get compensatory picks?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Bautista, a lefty-hitting Upton platoon partner, and a lefty reliever. That would work for me. It doesn't have to be Bautista, obviously, but I think someone is going to get a nice little bargain on him for a year or two.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Am I the only "hipster" who wouldn't take Jose back for free? lol

I don't see how you wouldn't take one of EE/Jose back on a one year deal (obviously Jose in this case).

You don't have an everyday 1B right now (Steve Pearce jajajaja)

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Padres claim Zach Lee. Jacob Turner signs a minor league deal with the Nats. Seems like it was not too long ago they were pretty hyped prospects, particularly Turner.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't see how you wouldn't take one of EE/Jose back on a one year deal (obviously Jose in this case).

You don't have an everyday 1B right now (Steve Pearce jajajaja)

You're laughing at his injury history, I assume?

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Ryan Webb to the Padres on a MLC. This might be the first offseason to not feature a TF97 post rambling on about how the Blue Jays should sign Webb :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->