Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season discussion: Two signings. Rinse, Repeat add 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Think of all the time etc invested in ohtani from the gm and ownership only to find out this. Yikes. Couldn’t close the deal. Who knows it’s probably a good thing long term.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Atkins need a big move or two to cleanse the nightmare of our post-season and now this.

I'd expect us to get Bellinger at the very least. Maybe move on Trout.

Trout's 7 years at $35m remaining looks downright reasonable compared to what Ohtani would have cost.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Communal Blood

Jun 1, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Never thought he would end up here. After that Leonard fiasco a few years ago I knew better than to get my hopes up.

This guy getting $427,000 per game for the next ten years is insane.

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
I don't see this as a lost. I see it as win as long as we spend some of this dh money on ways to improve our club
.Really 700 million on a dh

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Absolutely gutted. People compare this to John Tavares lol... It's more like a McDavid or a Gretzky to be honest.

Just irritating that it seems yet again a Toronto franchise was used to increase the value of a player to only get more from a different team.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Me upon seeing the dollar amount Ohtani got

That has to be a pro sports record even with the bat shit money association footballers get no?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Glad we could be of service to Shohei’s camp, helping to drive up the price of the Dodgers’ offer :laugh:
Does that do us any good though? If the Dodgers spend too much on a player they get outbid on other players it's probably not us doing the outbidding. If we don't get lets say Yamamoto, we'd prefer the Dodgers had more money for him rather than him signing with the Yankees. Driving u-p the price works better when it's our rivals we're forcing to pay more

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Maybe move on Trout.
This is the kind of move they need to make, in my opinion. You need to do something to counter the Soto trade from the Yankees. Trading for Trout would do just that. If the Jays are serious about competing, of course.

Reactions: Kurtz

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
This is the kind of move they need to make, in my opinion. You need to do something to counter the Soto trade from the Yankees. Trading for Trout would do just that. If the Jays are serious about competing, of course.

Trout is a huge risk.

He makes a ton of money and his body is breaking down. He'd need to come dirt cheap.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't see this as a lost. I see it as win as long as we spend some of this dh money on ways to improve our club
.Really 700 million on a dh

It may not be a bad thing to avoid the Ohtani contract. Since the 2000s, I notice the Jays and Leafs have built teams on the offense/circus model. If Toronto didn't allocate the proper team building resources this would have been a lot of money just for the sizzle.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Well ain’t this a bitch.

We got trolled hard yesterday about some god damn plane that wasn’t even Ohtani, the biggest guy punch today was the 10 year/700 million the Dodgers forked up for him.

Where’s that fat ass idiot Sid Sixsiero?? He gonna rage yell about how the Jays got punked? Or will he eat a cheeseburger live on air to air out some grievances.

• Haha
Reactions: BallardEra

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Trout is a huge risk.

He makes a ton of money and his body is breaking down. He'd need to come dirt cheap.

We need a massive move, and any massive move will come with a ton of risk.

Trout's injury problems are the reason why he shouldn't be expensive in a trade. Angels have zero reason to hang on to Trout now. Hell, he might ask out.

If our big selling pitch to Ohtani was that we can keep him healthy...well that should apply to Trout as well.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
That is one mammoth contract. Jesus Christ. And in the end, the Dodgers will still make a boat load off of it. They're getting not just Ohtani the baseball player, but Ohtani the brand and enterprise.

The last 24 hours were some of the wildest emotions on both ends of the spectrum I'm sure a lot of us have experienced. Not only as a Jays fan, but a sports fan overall.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
People are down on the Jays but they still have a good chance to be a special team. They have the talent, just need to put it all together.

I'm not crazy about this era of the Jays at all, but what I mean is Ohtani can live in the same house, have the same life in LA and just play on a better team from a Dodgers vs Angels perspective. Easy upgrade.

Making that massive leap to come to Toronto, would have been a real dark horse move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad