Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season discussion: Two signings. Rinse, Repeat add 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I'd pivot and try to figure out a way to take Harper off Philly's hands

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Ohtani would have been treated like a god and had all of Canada behind him if he signed in Toronto. Sucks. I think Canada would have been good for his private life too.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I honestly don't even feel like it's "too much". I mean... it is relative to other players, but it opens up an income stream the likes of which no other player ever has.

I mentioned Rogers selling broadcasting rights in Japan the other day, and I bet that's a huge part of it for the Dodgers. I bet he actually ends up costing them very little, if anything. Ugh.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
I guess Dave Roberts leaking to the media about their meeting Ohtani didnt make one iota of difference in Ohtani's decision for privacy after all. $700MM and privacy can go f*ck itself.

Reactions: Future

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ohtani would have been treated like a god and had all of Canada behind him if he signed in Toronto. Sucks. I think Canada would have been good for his private life too.

Yep but the Dodgers are a perennial contender .. and he wants to win. He hasn’t played in a playoff game! Can’t blame him for going there.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I guess Dave Roberts leaking to the media about their meeting Ohtani didnt make one iota of difference in Ohtani's decision for privacy after all. $700MM and privacy can go f*ck itself.
Honestly, I have a whole lot less respect for Ohtani now.

It's one thing to go through free agency with lots of rumors and all that garbage. It's another to say that respect matters to you and then sign with a club that openly offered a middle finger to your privacy.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Stuff like this happens but you all do it yourselves with your imposter syndrome.

I give credit to the Blue Jays for being at the table but you just can't compete with the allure of L.A and 700 million regardless of how your training facility is.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Arbitrary rules only apply to the also ran teams that were never going to be a factor. That's how these things work. Build up a small group of bidders to drive up price. Then play off the decoy team with the real team to extract every last penny and concession.

If Ohtani were to come to Toronto as the darkhorse, it would have played out all randomly and suddenly with the momentum of yesterday. The longer it went, I don't see a guy already living in LA slowly deliberating and then choosing Toronto/Canada.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Arbitrary rules only apply to the also ran teams that were never going to be a factor. That's how these things work. Build up a small group of bidders to drive up price. Then play off the decoy team with the real team to extract every last penny and concession.

If Ohtani were to come to Toronto as the darkhorse, it would have played out all randomly and suddenly with the momentum of yesterday. The longer it went, I don't see a guy already living in LA slowly deliberating and then choosing Toronto/Canada.

What's so special about LA anyway? What's wrong with Toronto/Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad