Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season discussion: Two signings. Rinse, Repeat add 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I think Bellinger always wanted to stay in Chicago. Boras was just trying to play us as leverage like he's done before on many occasions. The Cubs knew it and the Jays knew it which is why the Jays decided to bring back KK as early as they did. It's also why the Cubs didn't go scrambling to find somebody to replace Bellinger.
That's what I think as well. Bellinger likely would have signed if it was a big overpayment and he's not worth it.

Jays still need another bat IMO.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The one thing that gives me some hope for the offense (other than bouncebacks from the core) is the way the AAA guys transitioned so successfully to the majors last year; all of Schneider (obviously), Horwitz, and Clement stepped in and looked like legitimate major league bats. Those guys are still around, but they also have Palmagiani, Barger, and Martinez at AAA.

That's not to say I have a ton of confidence that they'll all contribute at a high level, but maybe last year is a sign that they've figured something out in terms of player development.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Despise the Bellinger deal unless there is a huge year to year variation.

26.7 for a guy with some big question marks. If he plays well, he opts out. If not, he's a 26.7 weakness for 1-2 more years.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The one thing that gives me some hope for the offense (other than bouncebacks from the core) is the way the AAA guys transitioned so successfully to the majors last year; all of Schneider (obviously), Horwitz, and Clement stepped in and looked like legitimate major league bats. Those guys are still around, but they also have Palmagiani, Barger, and Martinez at AAA.

That's not to say I have a ton of confidence that they'll all contribute at a high level, but maybe last year is a sign that they've figured something out in terms of player development.

Aside from Schneider, Barger and Orelvis, Jays have really focused on bat first guys and hope the power comes later. And it’s not like these bat first guys are small, it’s just developing a swing that plays to their strengths while also generating more loft. Horwitz, Roden, Kasevich, even Leo Jimenez are the underrated types of prospects that sneak past top 100s to become valuable big leaguers.

Reactions: Discoverer

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I have a feeling he wouldn't have signed with us for that little term/aav but I could be wrong.
I think i saw somewhere that his preference was to go back to the Cubs, so this really feels like he accepted the Cubs' lowball offer rather than take whatever else the market was offering because Boras misjudged how aggressively teams would go after his top players

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
Despise the Bellinger deal unless there is a huge year to year variation.

26.7 for a guy with some big question marks. If he plays well, he opts out. If not, he's a 26.7 weakness for 1-2 more years.
It’s 30, 30, then 20, which makes it worse for the team.

Still, being a max of 3/80 reduces the Cubs risk. I don’t think it’s a bad deal for them. The optouts obviously make it a decent deal for Bellinger who gets some protection against injury with the ability to cash in again if he has a big 2024 or 2025.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This is why i dislike opponent feeds for ST games. Imagine having a top 100 prospect at the plate and you don't even talk about the at bat for 98% of it. I don't need them to focus on Orelvis like they're talking to Jays fans, but at least act like he exists.

Reactions: Forgotusername

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
This is why i dislike opponent feeds for ST games. Imagine having a top 100 prospect at the plate and you don't even talk about the at bat for 98% of it. I don't need them to focus on Orelvis like they're talking to Jays fans, but at least act like he exists.
They'd rather pretend that Rodon's velocity being down unexplainably isn't scary.

His successes were mostly due to the hitters he was facing.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Arguing balls and strikes in preseason is stupid. When the commentators aren't paying enough attention to know why they are wrong, they are just proving their ineptitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino