Rumor: OEL Trade

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
There's a strong possibility that he'd waive if it meant a buyout, which would cost Arizona some money but an order of magnitude less than OEL. I'm not sure what the Wild would send along with him, but I'd have no complaints if it included one of the 2021 1sts.
Not sure AZ would want to buy him out. Doubling his term would be nuts.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not sure AZ would want to buy him out. Doubling his term would be nuts.
That's fair and probably accurate. I'm honestly not sure what Guerin does with him, because something like this is about as close as he's going to get on the trade front, and it still seems pretty out there.

rt

May 13, 2004
That's fair and probably accurate. I'm honestly not sure what Guerin does with him, because something like this is about as close as he's going to get on the trade front, and it still seems pretty out there.
Maybe he sees he’s not going to be a regular in the lineup on a contender and perhaps if AZ offers him the captaincy, he’ll consider switching roles, and becoming a mentor for a rebuilding team warm market with year round golf.

rt

May 13, 2004
To AZ
Drouin, Byron, Kulak, 3rd

To Mtl
OEL, Crouse
Take out Crouse and the 3rd. Still not sure it works because it actually adds cash. But I guess it’s a couple fewer UFAs to sign. Though, these are John Chayka type players and decidedly NOT Bill Armstrong type players (which Crouse is).

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Take out Crouse and the 3rd. Still not sure it works because it actually adds cash. But I guess it’s a couple fewer UFAs to sign. Though, these are John Chayka type players and decidedly NOT Bill Armstrong type players (which Crouse is).

Yeah, probably no dice then.

The small cap "increase" is offset by filling a roster spot... So it's really cap neutral for yotes short term, and sheds OELs long term hit.

Habs take all the risk, so without the added perk of Crouse & his RFA value, can't see Habs gambling on OEL at that cost, unless retention happens, which you've suggested is a non-starter.

Drouin is a perfect fit for a low pressure, low visibility market focused on rebuild next 2-3yrs... Wouldn't be surprised to see him thrive lighting up the scoresheet without the media or team results pressure... Byron also a great fit to add the character & work ethic veteran precense I suspect Armstrong would be all over.

Return is better than most of what's been offered up here so :dunno:
Will be interesting to see if they do better once it's all said and done

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i am not sure drouin has any trade value right now. he's got enough upside that you'd take his salary for free i guess if you could afford to gamble that much cap, but until there is comfort he has worked out his issues he's got to be moved in a project swap to a team with lots of cap. maybe the kraken take him.

rt

May 13, 2004
To VAN:
OEL
Fischer

To ARI:
Myers
Roussel
Eriksson(B/O)
2021 40th overall

= $6.8mil in cash savings for AZ next yr
= $5.75aav in cap relief for VAN next yr

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Vancouver would be dumb not to accept that.

Eriksson and Roussel are expiring contracts. It would be good for next season and then it would be a total disaster after that. They would take on an additional $29.25 million beyond what they would be paying for Myers after next season. Vancouver would be dumb to accept any trade for OEL that doesn't have significant retention.

Myers + Roussel + Eriksson = $27 million total remaining
OEL + Fischer = $50.5 million total remaining

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Eriksson and Roussel are expiring contracts. It would be good for next season and then it would be a total disaster after that. They would take on an additional $29.25 million beyond what they would be paying for Myers after next season. Vancouver would be dumb to accept any trade for OEL that doesn't have significant retention.

Myers + Roussel + Eriksson = $27 million total remaining
OEL + Fischer = $50.5 million total remaining

The part you conveniently didn't mention was that OEL and Fisher are the two best players in that deal and would make Vancouver a better team as a result. You're getting a bonafide top-2 D

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Vancouver would be dumb to accept any trade for OEL that doesn't have significant retention.

OEL has positive value with significant retention. You wouldn't get him for cap garbage at that point.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
The part you conveniently didn't mention was that OEL and Fisher are the two best players in that deal and would make Vancouver a better team as a result. You're getting a bonafide top-2 D

OEL is a good player but let's not pretend he's worth anywhere near his contract. Bonafide top-2 D is debatable, he wasn't one on the Coyotes the past 2 years. I certainly wouldn't expect him to improve on the worst defensive team in the league. What does a rebuilding team want with a 30+ year old declining defensemen on an absurd long term retirement contract with a NMC?

OEL has positive value with significant retention. You wouldn't get him for cap garbage at that point.

Yes, I agree with this. My point is with no retention there should be no interest, no matter how low the ask is.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
OEL is a good player but let's not pretend he's worth anywhere near his contract. Bonafide top-2 D is debatable, he wasn't one on the Coyotes the past 2 years. I certainly wouldn't expect him to improve on the worst defensive team in the league. What does a rebuilding team want with a 30+ year old declining defensemen on an absurd long term retirement contract with a NMC?

Yes, I agree with this. My point is with no retention there should be no interest, no matter how low the ask is.

I wasn't aware Vancouver was rebuilding.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
To VAN:
OEL
Fischer

To ARI:
Myers
Roussel
Eriksson(B/O)
2021 40th overall

= $6.8mil in cash savings for AZ next yr
= $5.75aav in cap relief for VAN next yr

I know you want OEL gone bad but taking back that much garbage, even if it expires sooner, should allow you to get a Gadjovich or Lind as well. You should get back at least one useful young piece besides the pick.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Benning telegraphs his moves. He’s said they have enough puckmovers on defense and want to get bigger and stronger. I hopefully take that as the OEL ship
to Vancouver already having sailed away.

rt

May 13, 2004
Benning telegraphs his moves. He’s said they have enough puckmovers on defense and want to get bigger and stronger. I hopefully take that as the OEL ship
to Vancouver already having sailed away.
This gives Benning an extra 5.75 million to spend on bigger, stronger defensemen. Probably gets you most of the way to Jani Hakanpaa and John Merrill.

5.75aav dumps usually cost more than a 2nd.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
This gives Benning an extra 5.75 million to spend on bigger, stronger defensemen. Probably gets you most of the way to Jani Hakanpaa and John Merrill.

5.75aav dumps usually cost more than a 2nd.

Benning can also shed over $6M in cap by buying out Holtby/Virtanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad