Rumor: OEL Trade

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Can someone tell me OELs game this season. What should the acquiring team expect? Solid 2 way dman? Or is he mostly 1 dimensional these days? I’d imagine he’s on a Morgan Rielly/Prett Pesce level. A middle of those 2?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
OEL is a really good defenseman. His aav is 20% too high. But his cash is lik 40% too high. That's the problem for ARI. It's less about the 8.25aav the next few years and more about the 10.5mil in cash each of the next three season. Yotes are an internal budget team (rumored to be around 68mil) and can't have their 2nd best LD making 16% of their entire player budget. I expect him to rebound with his new team, have a great season, and have all of the same morons in this thread saying he sucks, claiming that Arizona got hosed and were incompetent to trade him. These loud mouth know it alls never admit when they're wrong. If he gets traded, they'll all say that the acquiring team was stupid to trade for him . A year from now, they'll say Arizona was stupid to give him away.

Appreciate the time taken to explain. Thank you

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
OEL is a really good defenseman. His aav is 20% too high. But his cash is lik 40% too high. That's the problem for ARI. It's less about the 8.25aav the next few years and more about the 10.5mil in cash each of the next three season. Yotes are an internal budget team (rumored to be around 68mil) and can't have their 2nd best LD making 16% of their entire player budget. I expect him to rebound with his new team, have a great season, and have all of the same morons in this thread saying he sucks, claiming that Arizona got hosed and were incompetent to trade him. These loud mouth know it alls never admit when they're wrong. If he gets traded, they'll all say that the acquiring team was stupid to trade for him . A year from now, they'll say Arizona was stupid to give him away.

why did his minutes drop this year?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
gotta say the longer you look at oel stats the more worrisome it is.

2 minutes less atoi last year. lowest since rookie season.

60% of his points were on the pp. first time in his career it has been more than 50%

he had 7.7 pts/60 on the power play this year, which is double his career rate of pp production. but for that anomoly, his offensive productivity is dropping steadily.

everywhere you see declining stats year over year. his cf% is below 50 for the last two years.

if i acquire an $8.25m aav dman at 29 with six years to run, these are not the stats i am looking for.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
gotta say the longer you look at oel stats the more worrisome it is.

2 minutes less atoi last year. lowest since rookie season.

60% of his points were on the pp. first time in his career it has been more than 50%

he had 7.7 pts/60 on the power play this year, which is double his career rate of pp production. but for that anomoly, his offensive productivity is dropping steadily.

everywhere you see declining stats year over year. his cf% is below 50 for the last two years.

if i acquire an $8.25m aav dman at 29 with six years to run, these are not the stats i am looking for.
He is 30 tomorrow.

Reactions: Nucks2477

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Chychrun was top ten in Norris voting while playing on a team half the writers ignore and the other half actively hate.

chychrun's ice time went up a minute, while oel's icetime went down two minutes. oesterle's ice time went up a minute. goligoski's icetime remained unchanged.

from this i deduce not only that the coaches thought chychrun played better, but that they though oel played less well.

given oel is the captain and has seniority rights to the pp, one might speculate they went easy on him.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
Man, just imagining Boston with OEL, Eichel, and Hall somehow magically fitting into their roster suddenly they've found a way to turn back the clock a few years yet again.

Hall is very realistic…OEL maybe…Eichel they just simply don’t have the assets to acquire however, our top prospects are not overly impressive as has been the trend in the Sweeney era

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think he stays an has a great year, AZ will be glad they kept him as will it's fans:) OEL is still a top pairing D but over paid 1.5 mill based on his production.

Reactions: Jakey53 and banks

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I think he stays an has a great year, AZ will be glad they kept him as will it's fans:) OEL is still a top pairing D but over paid 1.5 mill based on his production.
I as well am starting to believe OEL will stay and would like to add that he would be a great tutor for Soderstrom. Soderstrom would be better than any partner Oliver had last season. Concentrate on getting Chychrun a partner.

Reactions: Jakey53

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Saw this and clicked on it... then saw this thread was posted a month ago.

.... Coyotes still working on an OEL trade.... more breaking news at 11

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
chychrun's ice time went up a minute, while oel's icetime went down two minutes. oesterle's ice time went up a minute. goligoski's icetime remained unchanged.

from this i deduce not only that the coaches thought chychrun played better, but that they though oel played less well.

given oel is the captain and has seniority rights to the pp, one might speculate they went easy on him.
What did the NHL schedule look like last season? Was it nice and spaced out? Lots of off days and practice time? Or do you think teams tried to spread things out and keep guys fresh?

Chychrun got to play with Goligoski who has a high hockey IQ but can also actually skate with and without the puck and can actually pass the puck. He contributes. He’s far from dead weight.

And what about OEL’s partners? Jason Demers absolutely fell off a cliff in terms of effectiveness. He’s not an NHLer. Not even close. He was horrendous.

The other was Ilya Lyubushkin who is a fine 3rd pairing D and cycle buster. He falls to pieces with the puck on his stick, and apart from chipping it out, he can’t move the thing even a little.

Even Nik Hjalmarsson just gave up last season. Just went through the motions and is now going to retire. Has major personal issues going on and could not have cared less about playing hockey for the Coyotes. Completely checked out.

All of this is to say one thing: If you’re basing your opinion of OEL on his ice time, rather than watching his team play games, your opinion of OEL just isn’t worth much.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad