Speculation: OEL trade megathread part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
On the one hand I’m bummed the Bruins are missing out. It’s always nice when a guy wants to come to your club and fills a position of need. On the other hand, curious what 8.25 gets you on this strange UFA market.

It was never said why Boston is out. Likely Van's offer is better. Still could happen.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
I would be pretty disappointed if that was the deal.

They are the only team left negotiating.

No need to give up our two best Defensive prospects and our First.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Here we go again. This is what happens when jackasses post like they know something.

There is no evidence to suggest that Boston is out of it, other than posters on this forum speculating about it based on literally nothing, and posting it authoritatively like it's real.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Here we go again. This is what happens when jackasses post like they know something.

There is no evidence to suggest that Boston is out of it, other than posters on this forum speculating about it based on literally nothing, and posting it authoritatively like it's real.

Don't be so offended, it's a trade forum.

If you don't believe the rumour then at the very least they are one of two teams. They are obviously holding out with an offer that is less than pleasing to Arizona. They should not be giving up two of their better prospects and their first round draft pick for a contract like OEL in this situation.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

They won’t. Arizona GM stated himself that the ROR trade was the basis and even then they probably won’t get that. Two cap dumps, a roster player, 1st and 2nd. Sutter, Roussel, Virtanen, Juolevi and ‘21 1st.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Add Virtanen.

Gaudette?

Anaheim was the last team left when trading for Kesler, doesn’t change the fact that we got a first + Bonino + Sbisa (Wasn’t considered a negative asset before he came here).

Similar to Kesler, OEL is coming off what is considered to be a down year, relative to his standards. They’re not going to trade away their captain for free

Reactions: CanuckCity

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Oh I think the Bruins have totally moved on to the UFA class.

Just because Boston’s end is quiet doesn’t mean they’re out of it imo. We haven’t had any news since yesterday and Friedman even said that the situation is fluid (paraphrasing what was said as a whole) so while Boston could’ve paused negotiations they could just as easily come back to the table.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Gaudette?

Anaheim was the last team left when trading for Kesler, doesn’t change the fact that we got a first + Bonino + Sbisa (Wasn’t considered a negative asset before he came here).

Similar to Kesler, OEL is coming off what is considered to be a down year, relative to his standards. They’re not going to trade away their captain for free

Kesler didn’t have 7 years at a 8.25 million cap hit!

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

That he did not but they had to sign him to an extension. No matter where Kesler signed he would’ve gotten similar numbers to what he signed for in Anaheim.

Edit: and you’re not going to let a player of Kesler’s caliber to just walk

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Don't be so offended, it's a trade forum.

If you don't believe the rumour then at the very least they are one of two teams. They are obviously holding out with an offer that is less than pleasing to Arizona. They should not be giving up two of their better prospects and their first round draft pick for a contract like OEL in this situation.
I'm not mad at you! haha. Sorry, in reading my post now, I see I wasn't clear about that at all. I really didn't mean you. I meant that you had that conclusion very understandably due to all the bullshit flying around.

Reactions: Bonham

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Gaudette?

I am not suggesting free, but our two best defensive prospects and our first round draft pick seems like a bit much in this instance.

Kesler also didn't come with an absolute anchor of a contract like OEL. Look at the lack of movement in the last few days from teams that are desperately trying to shed cap as well as the number of solid players that were not qualified. The financial situation in the league and the flat cap is the motivating factor at the moment. A 7 year commitment to OEL with a contract that pays him as a top 5 defenseman is a liability. He has yet to live up to the deal and who knows if he ever will.

The situations just aren't comparable.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
This and the Gaudreau speculation are the most interesting parts of this offseason.

As much as fans DISLIKED the whole coronavirus thing, and I hate/hated it too, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the 4-6 week offseason so we get hockey started again in like ~2 months (training camps even sooner).

Selfish me though XD XD

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Kesler was willing to sit out a season at home on his couch to get to a team he wanted to go to.

OEL is perfectly happy coming back to the team, but agreed to go to two different teams.

Not really the same...

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Just because Boston’s end is quiet doesn’t mean they’re out of it imo. We haven’t had any news since yesterday and Friedman even said that the situation is fluid (paraphrasing what was said as a whole) so while Boston could’ve paused negotiations they could just as easily come back to the table.

HFBoard vetted source said on podcast today that Bruins were valuing OEL as a 6-6.5 AAV player. Hard to see how that works.
‎Bruins Diehard: Boston Bruins Analysis, NHL Recap, and Hockey Chatter on Apple Podcasts

edit: forgive me have not actually listened to it yet just going by what people said on the Bruins board so can’t give a time stamp.

Reactions: CanuckCity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad