Speculation: OEL trade megathread part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
HFBoard vetted source said on podcast today that Bruins were valuing OEL as a 6-6.5 AAV player. Hard to see how that works.
‎Bruins Diehard: Boston Bruins Analysis, NHL Recap, and Hockey Chatter on Apple Podcasts

And they are absolutely correct.

Did OEL have more of an impact this season than someone like Edler who plays in all situations and logs the most minutes for the Canucks? They are paying him $6M for one more season which is a fair deal for what Edler brings.

Hard to justify from my perspective.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Hard to imagine they'd even tender an offer to the Coyotes if they thought he was a 6.5M AAV player...

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
HFBoard vetted source said on podcast today that Bruins were valuing OEL as a 6-6.5 AAV player. Hard to see how that works.
‎Bruins Diehard: Boston Bruins Analysis, NHL Recap, and Hockey Chatter on Apple Podcasts

edit: forgive me have not actually listened to it yet just going by what people said on the Bruins board so can’t give a time stamp.

Fair enough, but I don’t believe anything coming out of anyone’s mouth except for the Friedman's, the McKenzie’s of the world etc.

Reactions: _Del_

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That he did not but they had to sign him to an extension. No matter where Kesler signed he would’ve gotten similar numbers to what he signed for in Anaheim.

Edit: and you’re not going to let a player of Kesler’s caliber to just walk
I think the Kesler trade should be viewed as the high water mark. OEL was signed when the cap was expected to rise so I don’t think we should pay as much as Anaheim did. But then we will need to add for the cap dumps. So a first, Virtanen and a prospect not named Podzolkin or Hoglander seems fair. With Sutter and Roussel as the cap dumps. My guess at the prospect is Juolevi or Rathbone.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Hard to imagine they'd even tender an offer to the Coyotes if they thought he was a 6.5M AAV player...

It is Benning we are talking about afterall.

Hopefully he has learned his lesson from dealing firsthand with his disregard for cap management.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Have to give to get.

Of course, but those are two NHL ready defence prospects, we will need them this season to ice a line up. We need to trade one of them and maybe another good prospect like Hoglander. He’s actually better, I just feel we can’t give up both those two guys.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think the Kesler trade should be viewed as the high water mark. OEL was signed when the cap was expected to rise so I don’t think we should pay as much as Anaheim did. But then we will need to add for the cap dumps. So a first, Virtanen and a prospect not named Podzolkin or Hoglander seems fair. With Sutter and Roussel as the cap dumps. My guess at the prospect is Juolevi or Rathbone.

That’s pretty much the ROR blueprint which is apparently what they’re after.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If I had to guess at the actual return or the actual best, final offer: Roussel, Baertschi, Virtanen, Juolevi, 2021 1st. Coyotes buy-out Baertschi.

I personally would decline. I don't like it much at all. But I'd guess it's something like that.

Reactions: CanuckCity

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Kesler was willing to sit out a season at home on his couch to get to a team he wanted to go to.

OEL is perfectly happy coming back to the team, but agreed to go to two different teams.

Not really the same...

well there is... the Yotes owners want to dump OEL contract.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

ArizonaCoyotes19

May 28, 2008
Winnipeg
hockeylists.com
Demko is pretty much untouchable.

Sutter
Rathbone
Juolevi
2021 1st rounder

OEL

Is what I’ll take a guess is what the deal is.
I'm not getting the whole Demko is untouchable. I get he played 3 amazing games in the bubble, but he wasn't all that spectacular during the regular season. The Coyotes arguably have a top 5 goalie in Darcy Kuemper. Projecting goalies is crapshoot but I don't think Demko ever becomes a top 5 NHL goalie.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
If I had to guess at the actual return or the actual best, final offer: Roussel, Baertschi, Virtanen, Juolevi, 2021 1st. Coyotes buy-out Baertschi.

I personally would decline. I don't like it much at all. But I'd guess it's something like that.

I don’t see how it gets done without Eriksson going the other way, that deal kinda sucks for the Canucks to have the honour to be suck with 7 years cap hit of 8.25! I have no idea what the deal may be, it’s just a lot going on right now with the flat cap, Canucks cap issues and that massive OEL contract. I guess we will see as it does look like Benning wants him with letting Tanev and Stecher walk.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
$4M this year. Sounds terrible and urgent. Will you still give us Eriksson and Woo?

It’s not 4 million, it’s a 7 year commitment to 8.25 million cap hit!! For a player that’s 29 and already showing signs of slowing down.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It’s not 4 million, it’s a 7 year commitment to 8.25 million cap hit!! For a player that’s 29 and already showing signs of slowing down.
Oh, no! You're right. Drop Woo. Could we get Beagle and Eriksson instead? We should take it and run!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don’t see how it gets done without Eriksson going the other way, that deal kinda sucks for the Canucks to have the honour to be suck with 7 years cap hit of 8.25! I have no idea what the deal may be, it’s just a lot going on right now with the flat cap, Canucks cap issues and that massive OEL contract. I guess we will see as it does look like Benning wants him with letting Tanev and Stecher walk.
Arizona isn't going to eat that Eriksson cash. His absence is accounted for in the terribly mediocre return.

The think about your opinion on OEL and is contract is that you're wrong. He's a much better player than you think he is and his contract isn't nearly as bad as you think it is. If you're team trades for him, there will be thousands of furious Canucks fans ranting and raving about it. I promise you, all of them will have shut completely the f*** up by the second month of the season. The same crowd will be hooting and hollering twice as loud by the last month of the season about how great he is, what a steal it was, and how incompetent the Coyotes are for getting fleeced. They'll conveniently forget all of this nonsense.

That I can promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad