GDT: (Oct. 7) Home Opener: Jets @ Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Amazing how much hate the move got, to be honest.

And I say that not remembering if I liked the move or not.

I wouldn't say I hated the move, but I wasn't thrilled about it. I know it's only two games but he's been solid for both of them. I feel I still need to be verbally skeptical as a superstitious thing.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Couple things:
- I'd stick to the lines that sparked us tonight for a while, except for bringing Jagr in if he's ready to go.
- Man would I love to have Mike Smith on my team as a defenceman.
- Was being kicked out of draws as big of an issue in the first game as it was tonight? If I were Gully I'd be getting some major faceoff work in at practice to make sure the guys know what's fine and what's not with the rule change.
- When this team is supporting the puck, and moving it crisply, they look fast, when either of those things are off is when they get in trouble since they simply aren't fast enough to compensate for lacking in those areas.
- f*** yeah Brodie!

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I say this as a huge Ferland fan but if Jagr can push Ferland onto the fourth line and Glass out of the lineup, I am all for nixing Ferland's breakout season.

Gaudreau with 4 points. Brodie with 4 points.

McDavid way down the standings with 3 points. :snide:

Ugh. And we gifted him one of those on an empty net and generally just not showing up.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Jagr
Stajan -/- Jankowski - Lazar

Prob the best lines GG could deploy. Either way, Lazar played a game that should earn him the next one but the first three RW spots should be locks.

Reactions: RedHot

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Now that I'm looking, GG really doing a better job spreading icetime... I've never seen anything so pretty the past few seasons

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Prob the best lines GG could deploy. Either way, Lazar played a game that should earn him the next one but the first three RW spots should be locks.

No, please dont go back to this

Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland/Lazar (whover can take it)
Versteeg-Monahan-Jagr
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
4th line leftover

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Based on tonight:

Gaudreau - Bennett - Lazar worked beautifully. Why not keep it?
Versteeg - Monahan - Ferland was great, but mostly because of Versteeg and Monahan, I think.
No reason to break up 3M.
Glass - Stajan - Brouwer was a good fourth line.

I think the first instinct is to try to put Jagr in Ferland's spot, and move Ferland to the fourth line. Sorry Tanner.

Or they could just go with what they were running in practice.

Reactions: Flameshomer

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Glad the Flames showed up and played in periods 2 and 3.... hopefully they play that way against the ducks and end this god forsaken curse.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Based on tonight:

Gaudreau - Bennett - Lazar worked beautifully. Why not keep it?
Versteeg - Monahan - Ferland was great, but mostly because of Versteeg and Monahan, I think.
No reason to break up 3M.
Glass - Stajan - Brouwer was a good fourth line.

I think the first instinct is to try to put Jagr in Ferland's spot, and move Ferland to the fourth line. Sorry Tanner.

Or they could just go with what they were running in practice.

I'd be really, really hard pressed to give Glass the hook against Anaheim in favour of keeping Brouwer in the lineup.

I'd personally love:

Johnny - Bennett - Lazar
Tkachuk - Backs - Frolik
Ferland - Monahan - Jagr (Having Steeger in versus Ferland kills any speed. If this team got stuck in it's own zone it'd be pulling pucks out of the net. With Ferland, I love the thoughts of them being in the offensive zone, 3 big dudes holding the puck all night)
Glass - Jankowski - Versteeg (2 skill guys and a wrecking ball, it's worked in the past)

Stajan and Brouwer shot off into the moon.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This game was a testament to the fact that Brodie is still our second best Dman, despite how amazing Hamilton is

Brodie will keep getting better as he gets more comfortable with Hammer (who had a really, really good game too IMO).

This team will win with it's defence. If they're on right side of the league in regards to SA/High Danger SC Against (which they should), they'll be a threat in the Pacific. Mike Smith's looked better than any goalie we've had in two games, outside of some Ramo stretches and Elliott's winning streak, since Kipper.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'd be really, really hard pressed to give Glass the hook against Anaheim in favour of keeping Brouwer in the lineup.

I'd personally love:

Johnny - Bennett - Lazar
Tkachuk - Backs - Frolik
Ferland - Monahan - Jagr (Having Steeger in versus Ferland kills any speed. If this team got stuck in it's own zone it'd be pulling pucks out of the net. With Ferland, I love the thoughts of them being in the offensive zone, 3 big dudes holding the puck all night)
Glass - Jankowski - Versteeg (2 skill guys and a wrecking ball, it's worked in the past)

Stajan and Brouwer shot off into the moon.

The next game is against Anaheim... I would probably scratch Glass if Jagr plays.

Versteeg - Monahan - Jagr
Gaudreau - Bennett - Lazar
Ferland - Stajan - Brouwer

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Smith was an overlooked part of the win. His save percentage may not be pretty, but we hung him out to dry in that first period, but he didn't lose composure, and kept himself dialed in. He made some saves I don't think some of our other recent goalies would have.

Even if he can't keep up the solid play, just that fact that he doesn't seem to start losing his net once a goal goes in is nice, that was my biggest gripe with Elliott

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
I was already calculating what a loss would mean to this team by the end of the 1st and no way did I think we could bounce back. Glad they did! And now there is some momentum and confidence, something the team can take with them to Anaheim. Would be amazing to finally win there and begin to slay that monkey for good. One regular season game wont do it but it would be a start.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This win was all because of Jagr, he probably gave a half time speech for the ages.

I’m happy for Lazar. He needed a game like this more than anyone on the team. The confidence he will get from it is something he can feed off of. I think you have to keep Lazar with Bennett and Gaudreau for next game. And then yeah, Jagr gets to play with Monahan who actually isn’t slow, that’s just a misconception.

Great win for the boys, Johnny is gonna feed off this and what a great thing for Brodie. He’s been through hell the last year or so. If we get 15/16 Brodie back with a bounce back from Hamonic, it’s gonna be scary.

Reactions: Janks

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
This win was all because of Jagr, he probably gave a half time speech for the ages.

I’m happy for Lazar. He needed a game like this more than anyone on the team. The confidence he will get from it is something he can feed off of. I think you have to keep Lazar with Bennett and Gaudreau for next game. And then yeah, Jagr gets to play with Monahan who actually isn’t slow, that’s just a misconception.

Great win for the boys, Johnny is gonna feed off this and what a great thing for Brodie. He’s been through hell the last year or so. If we get 15/16 Brodie back with a bounce back from Hamonic, it’s gonna be scary.

Couldn't agree more. Brodie needed this game, and I'm glad he got it. He played lights out in the 2nd and 3rd period.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I'm ashamed to say, after the Jets made it 3-1 I changed the channel and watched UFC. Of course, I check the score, 5-3 Flames. Damn missed a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad