GDT: (Oct. 7) Home Opener: Jets @ Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
But Monahan had an assist and Bennett got nothing... :laugh:

The way people stick to narratives is pretty hilarious. Definitely one of the best aspects of this site.

Putting Bennett with Gaudreau doesn't have to mean Bennett is better than Monahan. Having Bennett's speed on his line lets Gaudreau move the puck better while Monahan is capable of carrying his own line with Versteeg and another good player whether that's Ferland or Jagr next game.
That said last night Bennett + Lazar were the 2 best Flames at getting shots at the Winnipeg net (though they got nicer starts than most) and they seemed to turn their game up to play with Gaudreau I wouldnt knock Bennett just because Monahan's great pass cashed in and a couple of Bennett's didn't.

Reactions: That High Guy

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Gaudreau - Bennett - Lazar
Versteeg - Monahan - Jagr
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Glass - Stajan - Ferland

That's what I'm hoping to see.

Rather have Stajan-Jankowski-Ferland on the 4th but i guess that's a little ways off yet

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah I don’t get why everyone needs to be so pro Monahan or so pro Bennett. These guys both play on the same team. Shouldn’t we all cheer for them to succeed?

Reactions: FlamerForLife

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Monahan looks visually better when away from Gaudreau; he's more engaged and the play starts going through him rather than him getting a bad case of Iginla-itis and letting Gaudreau do most the work.

Besides, despite how people like to sell him short, Monahan is more than capable of producing away from Gaudreau. He does so quite well in fact. Same for Gaudreau; if he's as good as people think he is (and he is), he won't have a problem producing without Monahan. He certainly didn't last night.

Not sure why some are so married to the idea of keeping them together forever and forever. Do they just hate having depth that much? Is the idea of change just that scary? Look at Chicago; Kane and Toews play on separate lines and they're all the better for it. Late in the game, down by a goal, then they load up a line, but otherwise a balanced attack is better than being a one line team like the Oilers.

Basically, having three lines going is better than just two. It's all about what makes the team better at winning more games.

I don’t disagree, however I doubt Gulutzans ability to effectively run 3 ‘top’ lines given how badly he gets beaten in line matchups as it is.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Putting Bennett with Gaudreau doesn't have to mean Bennett is better than Monahan. Having Bennett's speed on his line lets Gaudreau move the puck better while Monahan is capable of carrying his own line with Versteeg and another good player whether that's Ferland or Jagr next game.
That said last night Bennett + Lazar were the 2 best Flames at getting shots at the Winnipeg net (though they got nicer starts than most) and they seemed to turn their game up to play with Gaudreau I wouldnt knock Bennett just because Monahan's great pass cashed in and a couple of Bennett's didn't.

I was more talking about the posters that were going off on how great Bennett was. Honestly it was Gaudreau, Lazar, Brodie and Smith who stood out last night.

Neither Monahan or Bennett were very notable. I have no problem with Gaudreau and Bennett playing together though

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
You really don't like Bennett, huh?

He is my second favourite Flame right now.

I think his developement could be the difference between the team winning a Cup or just being a play-off team.

But that doesn't mean I have to overrate what he is right now.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He is my second favourite Flame right now.

I think his developement could be the difference between the team winning a Cup or just being a play-off team.

But that doesn't mean I have to overrate what he is right now.

You have a funny way of showing it. "Nothing to do with any of the good plays" - that's just ignorant. He had a terrific game and was extremely noticeable, especially once they swapped Versteeg and Gaudreau.

- He screened the goalie on Brodie's second goal - without his presence that's an easy save.
- He was the first man on the forecheck for Gaudreau's goal (his speed is what made it easy for Lazar to win the puck)
- Set up Lazar for an open net on a beautiful rush from defense to offense.
- Key cog in the sequence where they hemmed the Jets in for the entire shift, making some excellent passes (including a Gretzky like pass behind 3 players nearly connected with Gaudreau back door). Drew a penalty at the end of that shift.

He was absolutely a big part of the line's 2 ES goals, despite not getting a point. He was also key on a few other great plays that didn't result in goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Confirmed. Johnny Gaudreau is a 3rd liner and he is dragging Monahan down.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Confirmed. Johnny Gaudreau is a 3rd liner and he is dragging Monahan down.

I absolutely agree that Monahan plays better when he's not forced to play an up tempo style. He'll likely produce less without Gaudreau, but I think he'll play better. I've maintained this perspective for a couple years now.

That's not a critique Monahan - I don't think the combination of the two is complementary to either player's style. It might add 5g 10p to Monahan's stat line but he's visibly more comfortable playing with folks who need to defer to him vs the other way around, and I think it allows him to have a bigger impact with his 200 foot game because he's doing less chasing and more driving.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
Lazar looked rejuvenated this last game. I dare say he returned to WJC form and looks legit. I really think he needs to play with players who compliment him to develop and he got slotted on a line which he clicked with. Bennett and him are a perfect fit for a line and put in Gaudreau and you got a fast, forechecking, scoring line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad