Observations III

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
There was some discussion earlier about our record vs. the top teams, did a little research and here is an update:

Record vs. teams currently top 3 in division 9-6-5
Record vs. teams currently in playoffs (top 8 in each conference) 14-9-6
Record vs. playoff “bubble†teams 12-1-0
Record vs. all current non-playoff teams 23-3-0

To me, 14-9-6 vs. playoff teams is nothing to be ashamed of. (If I calculated correctly St. Louis is 15-11-2- basically the same) But that record against playoff “bubble†teams is pretty dang impressive. Granted, those teams are not in the playoffs currently, but they are pretty good teams (I classified the bubble teams as Minnesota, LA, Dallas, Colorado in West and Florida and Philly in East).

But we have really cleaned up against the bad teams- 23-3-0 overall against non-playoff teams. If you want to make playoffs and win divisions, you have to beat the teams you are supposed to, and we have definitely done that this year………

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
There was some discussion earlier about our record vs. the top teams, did a little research and here is an update:

Record vs. teams currently top 3 in division 9-6-5
Record vs. teams currently in playoffs (top 8 in each conference) 14-9-6
Record vs. playoff “bubble†teams 12-1-0
Record vs. all current non-playoff teams 23-3-0

To me, 14-9-6 vs. playoff teams is nothing to be ashamed of. (If I calculated correctly St. Louis is 15-11-2- basically the same) But that record against playoff “bubble†teams is pretty dang impressive. Granted, those teams are not in the playoffs currently, but they are pretty good teams (I classified the bubble teams as Minnesota, LA, Dallas, Colorado in West and Florida and Philly in East).

But we have really cleaned up against the bad teams- 23-3-0 overall against non-playoff teams. If you want to make playoffs and win divisions, you have to beat the teams you are supposed to, and we have definitely done that this year………

Shootout and OT wins and losses should be dropped out of the above as well, as we won't see shootouts or 4 on 4 OT in the playoffs.

gopreds19

Formerly gobears19
Nov 10, 2008
Houston
10991170_10153084318457558_1268575099221580424_n.jpg

This needs to be posted on the main boards lol.

PREDilection

Little Doodle
Nov 10, 2014
I have a question regarding trades at this time of the year. When a buyer (such as ourselves) decides to bring a player in before the trade deadline, will the GM or coach ever consult any of the players before making the deal? For instance, if we were to bring a defenseman in would Poile talk to Weber or any of the other players to confirm it would be a good fit and that they would mesh in the locker room. With this fickle and elusive thing we call "chemistry" seeming to play some sort of role one would think it might make sense to get the team on board before doing the deal. My guess would be this doesn't happen but I thought I might see if any of our resident hockey experts had any insight.

BTW, I feel I should introduce myself as I've been a long time lurker but never poster. I've been reading most of the people in the Observation thread since the days off the Nashville Predators board but have never really posted as I've used this primarily as a source to increase my limited hockey knowledge. As the years have gone on my hockey obsession has increased to a fever pitch and I've been feeling increasingly guilty for absorbing all of this hockey information and insight without saying thank you. I sent a PM to 303 a while back thanking him but wanted to acknowledge the rest of you as well. Thanks!

Andrew

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I have a question regarding trades at this time of the year. When a buyer (such as ourselves) decides to bring a player in before the trade deadline, will the GM or coach ever consult any of the players before making the deal? For instance, if we were to bring a defenseman in would Poile talk to Weber or any of the other players to confirm it would be a good fit and that they would mesh in the locker room. With this fickle and elusive thing we call "chemistry" seeming to play some sort of role one would think it might make sense to get the team on board before doing the deal. My guess would be this doesn't happen but I thought I might see if any of our resident hockey experts had any insight.

BTW, I feel I should introduce myself as I've been a long time lurker but never poster. I've been reading most of the people in the Observation thread since the days off the Nashville Predators board but have never really posted as I've used this primarily as a source to increase my limited hockey knowledge. As the years have gone on my hockey obsession has increased to a fever pitch and I've been feeling increasingly guilty for absorbing all of this hockey information and insight without saying thank you. I sent a PM to 303 a while back thanking him but wanted to acknowledge the rest of you as well. Thanks!

Andrew

Welcome!

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Andrew

Pretty sure that direct contact with the player is forbidded unless the owining team gives the ok.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.

Andrew

welcome Andrew, always good to see new people posting.

as to your question, the GM always consults the coach first about any acquisition of course, good ones always really act as a team. Coaches then usually talk directly to the team leadership group to get their opinion first. I remember back in the day leading up to the sully acquisition, trotz had a sit down with the captains before the deal and they of course wholeheartedly agreed sully was just what the team needed. but byrd is right, prior contact with the player(s) themselves is prohibited before a deal is final (that would be considered collusion)

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
super news on eckholm, we need him back badly.

meant to say yesterday how inspiring the crowd reaction during the 5 on 3 against us was. felt the crowd almost picked us up and carried us from that point straight to the neal goal.

always great to be a part of that. one might 'see' the game better on tv at times, but it's those emotional moments one misses out on when you're not in the building. hard to define and quantify

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
just stat perusing, it almost blows my mind that on a team that has a plus 37 goal differential, that bourque has found a way to be a -10, the 752nd best +/- in the league... stunning actually

PREDilection

Little Doodle
Nov 10, 2014
welcome Andrew, always good to see new people posting.

as to your question, the GM always consults the coach first about any acquisition of course, good ones always really act as a team. Coaches then usually talk directly to the team leadership group to get their opinion first. I remember back in the day leading up to the sully acquisition, trotz had a sit down with the captains before the deal and they of course wholeheartedly agreed sully was just what the team needed. but byrd is right, prior contact with the player(s) themselves is prohibited before a deal is final (that would be considered collusion)

Thanks for the info. Was just curious how involved the players were in these types of transactions. I figured they should be at some level but if there was any it wouldn't extend beyond the GM/coach and the players on their team.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
I have to hand it to Lavy for mixing up the lines even though we were winning. Still don't like Forsberg on the 3rd line as he needs someone who can finish the passes he makes so he isn't trying to do it all himself. This was NJ though and against the sharks we'll see how effective it really is and if he makes adjustments based on the matchup.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
This team is nearing the point where it needs decisions on the future from Fisher and Ribs. Since Fisher's return, many of the team's early issues have been mitigated if not eliminated ... with 15 fewer games than Neal, Fish is only 5 points back so far ... leads the team in PP goals. Ribs sitting at #2 on the team in scoring. Both UFAs come July.

It's a bit worrisome to see that only five of the current active forwards are signed through next year ... three of them are Stalberg (hey, he's back on the roster), Gaustad, and Nystrom.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
This team is nearing the point where it needs decisions on the future from Fisher and Ribs. Since Fisher's return, many of the team's early issues have been mitigated if not eliminated ... with 15 fewer games than Neal, Fish is only 5 points back so far ... leads the team in PP goals. Ribs sitting at #2 on the team in scoring. Both UFAs come July.

It's a bit worrisome to see that only five of the current active forwards are signed through next year ... three of them are Stalberg (hey, he's back on the roster), Gaustad, and Nystrom.

That's true, but Smith, Wilson, Jarnkrok, Beck, and Bourque are RFAs, so that will be easy enough. Fisher isn't going anywhere with Carrie here. Ribiero signed in Nashville because he wanted to play here, so if a reasonable deal can be reached, he will want to stay. I hope both sign deals sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad