Observations III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoFncyName

Nov 30, 2014
It is a nice thing to not really play well and still post wins. They need to get Neal back and healthy. Is it a coincidence that Forsberg cooled off at the same time Neal left the 1st line? Both those guys are a threat and make the other team stretch when on a line together. I don't think Neal makes Forsberg better but he for sure opens more options for him.

Really really really good to see Wilson doing well, hopefully this continues. Rinne is showing he is the best netminder in the league right now. That mean guy showed up again today and we need more of that. Fish showed an old vet can still go too when needed. While Jones had a couple lapses he also had three really nice plays as well.

Taking 9 penalties is usually a dangerous thing for this team, and no PP goals for either team today was surprising.

60 points n 41 games just wow.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I hate the all star process with stupid fans voting. what a joke

we get weber and rinne, the two they couldn't leave off... and no Forsberg or josi, two that deserve to go, while EDM gets 2, CLB gets 3, CHI gets 5 of the 6 starters.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I hate the all star process with stupid fans voting. what a joke

we get weber and rinne, the two they couldn't leave off... and no Forsberg or josi, two that deserve to go, while EDM gets 2, CLB gets 3, CHI gets 5 of the 6 starters.

it looks like they decided to leave all the rookies off.... Ekblad probably deserved to go as well.

At least FF will be there for the skills comp.

An with no Chara maybe Weber finally wins hardest shot...

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Rookies were just allowed for skills competition so Forsberg is going. Can't complain with Rinne, Weber, Forsberg and the coaching staff going to the all star game. It doesn't matter what system they use someone is going to get left off unless they expand the roster and allow substitutions.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
a few mid season rambling general observations;
the single most amazing thing about this team remains the fact that half way thru the season we have not lost 2 games in a row. don't recall ever seeing that happen in the NHL in the modern era. maybe it has and just didn't notice because it wasn't us, but it's an amazing feat.

still half a season of hockey to go. rinne on a pace to win 56 games, which would shatter the all time single season NHL goalie win record. when winning 50 is considered the 'holy grail' of victories for goaltenders. barring injury, God forbid, I think rinne will win 50, probably not 56 because of fewer starts this second half with more back to backs and rest for playoffs and figuring we surely can't keep up this half season pace all year (?). GAA back below 2 and save % back above .930. amazing.

halfway thru. 120 point pace. unreal. probably not sustainable, but unreal. we have now played ourselves into a position where even if we only play .500 hockey for second half (or 18-18-5), we still would finish with 101 points. i'm now guessing we finish close to 110 or so. would accept more. lol.

scoring 3 goals or more now for what 12 consecutive games? Wilson now on pace for over 50 points after that bad start. weber and josi both on pace for huge offensive numbers, near 60 each. Forsberg and ribs both still on paces for over 70. the improvement in the offense these past 12 games is the most surprising thing despite Forsberg and ribs numbers falling and neal being out. it's come from the d-men's dramatic recent increase. don't know if that's sustainable for long, we need to get neal back and scoring and the first line to find themselves again and anything is possible with this bunch.

CHI, STL moves or their anticipated moves will probably dictate how much poile does at deadline as much as anything. these type years don't come along often, and rinne's future years are limited by age, so I expect poile to be active and aggressive if opportunities for more forward support come along. with key players in their prime, one has to think the future is now and maybe the next two years for the organization. a big move wouldn't shock me at all. but, admittedly, that's dangerous in itself.

plenty of things to worry over. always will be. but man what an unbelievable first half from this team. sure has been enjoyable.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I try to watch the NHL network everyday..I haven't heard a damn word from them on the non-consecutive loss streak we are on. Is it something that really isn't recognized? You sure hear about win streaks, loss streaks, points streaks.

Their coverage of Thursday's game on NHL tonight was atrocious. Interviews with CHI and STL players, but no interview from the team that had just secured a tie for first place with games in hand, and the game commentary was more about how bad the Stars looked and how stoppable Webers goals should have been. Just no respect for what this team is doing night in and night out.

I started thinking last night...how much fun will next season be if we can keep this up? Another threat to get after the SCF and having the All Star Game in town?

Speaking of ASG. The league has to do something about the fan vote. Maybe something like only 3 players per team selected by fan vote, because no one can stuff a ballot box like Chicago.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Simple. Just set it so only one player from each team can be voted in. If 5 Hawks have the highest vote totals, tough. The one with the most is in. The other 4 might make it on their own merits or not.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
303, thanks as always for you prospective.

Chicago had a long win streak in the strike shortened season not sure if they every lost back to back games that season.

I peaked at the Chicago board and they want mgt to go after Vermette. Frankly, they don't need a damn thing, they have an embarrassment of riches already. :p: The team put out a video urging people to vote for the all-stars. Seabrook has no business being a starter in particular.

The top voter getter was a Latvian kid who plays for the Sabres. He had a whole country voting for him. I don't agree with RNH going, he hasn't done diddly. But there are always guys who go, who shouldn't and guys who should, who don't. To be honest, I would rather Rinne not go. I want him rested up and injury free.

Talking about windows, we are likely to have a couple kids from Milwaukee make the jump next year. They have been coached to play Trotz hockey up to this point. The team is struggling as well. Will they be able to contribute or will there be some regression?

It has been fun watching this team. I love the confidence and never quit attitude. I don't get deflated when the other team scores because we can and have come back.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I try to watch the NHL network everyday..I haven't heard a damn word from them on the non-consecutive loss streak we are on. Is it something that really isn't recognized? You sure hear about win streaks, loss streaks, points streaks.

Their coverage of Thursday's game on NHL tonight was atrocious. Interviews with CHI and STL players, but no interview from the team that had just secured a tie for first place with games in hand, and the game commentary was more about how bad the Stars looked and how stoppable Webers goals should have been. Just no respect for what this team is doing night in and night out.

I started thinking last night...how much fun will next season be if we can keep this up? Another threat to get after the SCF and having the All Star Game in town?

Speaking of ASG. The league has to do something about the fan vote. Maybe something like only 3 players per team selected by fan vote, because no one can stuff a ballot box like Chicago.

Until we get at least to the WCF, we're not ever going to get much in the way of credit. People are going to be holding their breath waiting for us to slip up, because after all, since the Predators have never done it before, it's impossible that we could ever do it.

As I listened to the scores yesterday, they said we "held on" to beat the Wild. XM radios' NHL Network channel might as well be renamed the "Eastern conference channel."

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Until we get at least to the WCF, we're not ever going to get much in the way of credit. People are going to be holding their breath waiting for us to slip up, because after all, since the Predators have never done it before, it's impossible that we could ever do it.

As I listened to the scores yesterday, they said we "held on" to beat the Wild. XM radios' NHL Network channel might as well be renamed the "Eastern conference channel."

Yeah..every now and then I ask myself..why do I pay extra on my Sirius subscription to listen to that crap on the NHL channel? I do like Boomer though...and I can't really figure out way..he is just kind of like a glorified sports bar know it all, but I like the shtick for some reason.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

Yes, and I think it was my little ESPN app that said we "edged" them.

I don't want the media talking about the streak. Nothing good comes of noticing streaks. :laugh:

I got rid of my Sirius XM subscription last time it came due. I miss it occasionally but not enough to justify the cost.

I was pleasantly surprised at our media's reaction to the fights. 3 TV stations showed them. One person said, "You don't mess with Shea Weber"... nice to see they finally notice that...but still, don't mention streaks!!! (except for MEAN streaks--that's okay.)

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I think the sensitivity needs to drop with media by our fanbase. Preds will garner more and more respect the longer we are on top/win

Everyone loves a winner. Media are no exception. And yes, the Preds will get more respect and keep it longer as they improve and succeed. I'm glad they're noticing the team.

But to say that a 3-1 win is "edging" or "holding on" for a win is just silly. It would never be acceptable to say that a 21 - 7 win was edging the other team in football. I just want the same attention to detail.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Chicago had a long win streak in the strike shortened season not sure if they every lost back to back games that season.

They actually did four times.

Shootout losses on January 31st and February 1st to move them to 6-0-2.

On March 8th and 10th they lost to Colorado and Edmonton from move to 21-0-3 to 21-2-3.

March 25th and 26th they lost to LA and Anaheim to move from 24-2-3 to 24-4-3.

And finally on April 20th and 22nd they lost in a shootout to Phoenix and then to Vancouver to move from 34-5-4 to 34-6-5.

Last edited:

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
The new playoff format is a killer. Three of arguably the top 5 teams are in the same division. We will likely need to beat the blues and Hawks just to face the Sharks/ducks/kings.

I hate the new format with a passion.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The new playoff format is a killer. Three of arguably the top 5 teams are in the same division. We will likely need to beat the blues and Hawks just to face the Sharks/ducks/kings.

I hate the new format with a passion.

Totally agree. Its terrible

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It's designed to promote division rivalries like the old days. :sarcasm:

Sure would have been nice to have had that format back when it was us and detroit and both the blues and hawks were terrible...

Last edited:

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Count me as one who hates the format as well. The best teams should have the easiest road to the championship.

Yes...the teams in the hardest divisions are almost being punished for being in the hardest divisions. Pretty sure in the Central, except for Winnipeg and the Avs, the hate is already on full tilt. Not sure The NHL FO really wants the best teams in the league killing each other before they can even make it to the WCF. It's bad when you almost have to shoot for the President's Trophy just to avoid playing the Hawks or Blues in the 1st round...but then you get rewarded by playing one of them in the 2nd round anyway :help:

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
yeah it sucks and so does Jeremy Roenick. just listened to him dismiss the preds, saying 'we'll see what they do the second half' on a piece talking about league surprises. always hated the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad