Confirmed Trade: [NYR/WPG] Jacob Trouba for Neal Pionk and 2019 1st (20 OV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Where were Detroit, NYI, NJD and all the other teams in the market for him? How could they not match that pathetic return for a top 2 RHD?

So, so bad.

NYI and NJD knew they would have no chance of signing him. Idk what Detroit is doing though, he'd definitely sign there and their d-core may be even worse than ours.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even if he only had a couple of teams on his list, that doesn't mean they have to trade him there. It's in a year he can make all the decisions himself, but I'm 100% they would have got at least the same return at the deadline.
And that send what message to wheeler. Scheiffle, and the other players when you deal a top 4 Dman for futures if they are holding down a playoff spot?

Think they’d rather the team spend that cap space on someone who can help them in the playoffs.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I like Neal Pionk, I see a real upside in his skating, which will help the Jets, going forward, and I do not mind loading up on Minnesota kids, I also like that we have our 1st back. But I don't understand how the Jets didn't get Brett Howden back, they need centre depth. Jets are going to have to use more assets now to get them. I feel like this trade, combined with Chevy's previous 2 deadline deals, and some untimely injuries, might knock the Jets out of powerhouse territory, to out of the playoffs.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Have you seen Niskanen's contract and play the last couple of seasons.

Put it this way, would you trade number 20 and an RFA right handed defenceman for Gudas?

Um, just over a year ago Niskanen was the Caps BEST dman when they won the cup so I wouldn't say "over the last couple of seasons". He had one bad season after multiple great seasons with the Caps.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
This is very similar to the Hamilton to Calgary trade with very similar reactions. It did not work out for Hamilton in Calgary and there is always rumours about him moving.

Some players are just not the greatest individuals and cause a lot of distractions for the team. Sometimes it’s better to just move on. It’s like firing a very high performing employee because his attitude is garbage and he kills the team spirit. You know he’s great at his job but he makes other people uncomfortable and always has his eye on the door.

At least Peg got something for someone who everyone knows wouldn’t have re signed. He already held out once and they did everything to try and keep him but he just wouldn’t budge.

Maybe trading him last year would of yielded a higher return but who knows.

Teams also knew the situation Peg was in and the character they were getting back in the trade. Maybe almost every team was genuinely avoiding him and this was the best offer. Also maybe he doesn’t re sign in NY. Lots can’t happen

Reactions: Vinny

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Have to figure this crazy low price for Trouba was driven by him basically making it clear he's either A)seeking an absolutely colossal contract, or B)only willing to sign with a very small number of teams. Or i guess at the price of Pionk and a later 1st...it was probably C)all of the above.

Still...steal for the Rangers, presuming they pulled the trigger because they feel good about their ability to get him signed.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Must be nice to be a Rangers fan and be able to sign almost every UFA and College UFA you want and sign traded players to long term deals. :(

Well if it wasnt for that one thing called a salary cap :/

Nah seriously though, i get it that we are an attractive team to play for considering our location, fanbase and that we are an original six team. Wpg aint a dump like Jersey, Edmonton or Arizona though, so im not sure if you have lost many players to o6 teams?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If the Rangers can add Panarin in the offseason...man you'd have to call that rebuild complete.

An uber-elite forward, 1RHD, and likely-to-be elite forward in one offseason would be incredible. Add that to the quality contributors they already have in Zibanjead, Buchnevich, Kreider, Skjei and some good prospects...Gorton is doing solid work.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Which is a question mark. Might not amount to anything.

Yes, but it's still an immensely valuable piece that changes the landscape of the trade.

Your 11th overall pick is a question mark that might not amount to anything, right? Wanna trade that for future considerations because it's a question mark that might not amount to anything? Yeah, probably not, because it's still a valuable piece. Just like the #20OA, which is immensely more valuable than any other piece in this trade or the Gudas/Niskanen swap.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If the Rangers can add Panarin in the offseason...man you'd have to call that rebuild complete.

An uber-elite forward, 1RHD, and likely-to-be elite forward in one offseason would be incredible. Add that to the quality contributors they already have in Zibanjead, Buchnevich, Kreider, Skjei and some good prospects...Gorton is doing solid work.

The Rangers sent out a letter to their fans around January of 2018 that they were going to be re-building.

If they can add Panarin by summer of 2019, they will have officially pulled off the greatest speed rebuild of all time. That would be incredible.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The Rangers sent out a letter to their fans around January of 2018 that they were going to be re-building.

If they can add Panarin by summer of 2019, they will have officially pulled off the greatest speed rebuild of all time. That would be incredible.

I'm jealous. In one year Gorton has done more to rebuild the Rangers than Benning has done for the Canucks in his entire tenure.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Terrible for Winnipeg. A low end no 1/high end no 2 for a late 1st and a decent Dman with a bit of upside.

It’s the opposite end of the spectrum of getting value for dmen compared to the Hall for Larsson trade. What a dumb move.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Well if it wasnt for that one thing called a salary cap :/

Nah seriously though, i get it that we are an attractive team to play for considering our location, fanbase and that we are an original six team. Wpg aint a dump like Jersey, Edmonton or Arizona though, so im not sure if you have lost many players to o6 teams?

You sure about that?
Edmontons nice.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Initially looks good for Rangers. Of course with good scouting there could be your "Aho's, Pastrnak's and DeBrincat's" available with that 1st round pick..

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Terrible for Winnipeg. A low end no 1/high end no 2 for a late 1st and a decent Dman with a bit of upside.

It’s the opposite end of the spectrum of getting value for dmen compared to the Hall for Larsson trade. What a dumb move.

Who, Pionk?

Sorry but that's not him at all. He is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad