Confirmed Trade: [NYR/WPG] Jacob Trouba for Neal Pionk and 2019 1st (20 OV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
This is exactly what I was thinking. Trouba's name is worth more value then the Jets got back to be sure, but he's not some dominant 1st pairing D-man. He always seemed like more of a 2nd pairing level to me, Morrissey definitely carried that pairing for sure imo at least.
Always hard to see who carries who, I agree Morrissey is more likely the better one of the two, but still, that is a bad return even for a top 4 RHD. I believe all GMs knew very well Trouba had no more business in WPG and they did not want to help WPG with that !

Reactions: STLomacneko

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I wonder if the Jets needed their first round pick back to make an offer sheet? They might be going big game hunting!

They're going to make an offer sheet last year?

e05b4cb8-3825-4533-88e0-610bfad1d636_text.gif

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So they got their own first back?

Jets fans kept saying they will get a better C then Kadri....

I guess that was 20 games of Hayes.... who literally stopped the puck from going in during the blues games.....

Every year we keep learning we have no idea the price of players. Yet everyone is so sure.

I wonder if the @identity guy will allow us to talk about trouba being traded now.

Or maybe if people don’t read the articles they can just say that it didn’t happen and we made it up

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Was Trouba an RFA or UFA next year? I almost think the Jets could have done better at the deadline
He's rfa right now but next year / arbitration brings him to ufa.

I agree they could have done as well or better at the deadline

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It's been pretty obvious to me and I think most people that there was a cap crunch. I don't really understand the people saying "we should have kept him for another year" considering that the feasibility of this option is not clear and in my opinion unlikely without giving up someone even more desirable.

Maybe because they are a supposed contender? Maybe not though (man, that window closed quickly).

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I don't know maybe it's just me here, sure it stings they didn't get a better return for him but having what appeared to be a huge prima donna off the team might do a whole lot for morale.

Reactions: Devonator

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
According to Friedman, teams DID come up with better offers. Chevy just had a stiffy for getting a 1st round pick back. Most of the rest of the packages were probably a better secondary piece than Pionk, but not a 1st round pick.

Hadn't seen that. Getting the 1st back is alright I guess but I'm not big on this draft past the first 15. There's quite a few secondary pieces even on the Rangers that would of made this deal more palatable for Jets fans.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Holy S....I didn't expect this. The Rangers seem to have done pretty well for themselves here. No Andersson, No, Lindqvist, no Buchnevich.........The 20 OA is the cost of doing business and Pionk is a serviceable 3rd pair guy.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
RFA's have no rights in the CBA to demand where they want to go. NHL needs some way to stop this from happening. I don't know how, but maybe add extra years to their RFA status or something.
There’s no indication Trouba demanded where he was going to go. Friedman said Winnipeg didn’t give any of the team trying to trade for him permission to speak to him and his agent.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Wouldn't it be funny if this trade backfired on Rangers LOL

Scenario: Pionk becomes a key defensive piece for the Jets,
Jets picks someone like Brett Leason 20th overall, he then becomes the next Blake Wheeler,
while Rangers give ridiculous contract to Trouba and he digresses after a serious injury or something.

Reactions: Devonator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad