Confirmed Trade: [NYR/WPG] Jacob Trouba for Neal Pionk and 2019 1st (20 OV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Neither player is worth a 1st round pick.

It's probably what happened.

What if this trade was #20OA and Vince Dunn, or Will Butcher? We'd probably be looking at it a lot differently. Those are a couple defensemen in Pionk's age and scoring range over the past two years. Now, those players are actually valuable where as Pionk is just God awful. But I don't think Winnipeg's management knows that about Pionk; I think they look at the tough minutes he played and consider him a comparable to those players.
For the record I don't think the Jets got hosed in this trade. I think he got his value based on his contract. I actually projected a 2nd + a guy like Rasmussen level

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Ummm Dave Babych for Ray Neufeld...

Yes?

I’m not talking about awful hockey trades, we still have no idea how this turns out. I’m replying to the poster who says this looks like a pre-cap trade with a mega market team ripping off a small market team. And I agree. We look like the Montreal Expos here.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Is this a worse trade for Winnipeg then the ROR trade was for Buffalo?

I know nothing about the player the Rangers sent back.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Is Tucker Poolman an everyday option for WPG?

Any top 4 upside there?
Probably more of a stay at home bottom pairing guy that can move the puck. He can be a serviceable and cheap 3Rd doesn't have to be anything beyond that. Unfortunately the jets are out a top pairing RD now.

BrianLeetch2

The Butcher
Oct 4, 2005
Toms River NJ
DE271D8D-3EC5-49EF-A475-FD27E051172E.jpeg

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Is this a worse trade for Winnipeg then the ROR trade was for Buffalo?

I know nothing about the player the Rangers sent back.

Rangers fans can correct me, but I see Pionk basically as an okay puckmoving bottom pairing dman with some but not a whole lot of upside. That’s at least what I’m expecting.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Veleno + McIsaac + 2019 2nd is the minimum I'd be looking for.

Cholowski, Veleno and 2nd 2020 would do it for Winnipeg.

Or Madison Bowey + 1st 2020.

Top pair right side D man.

You’re not getting him for spare parts.

A mid first round pick, a good second line player and a 2nd round pick should be the starting point for any trade discussions for Trouba.

No interest in AA or Bowey from Winnipeg.

Reference Athanasiou being offered...

That's fine we'll get more from Florida or Philly. Where he'll sign long term and you can see him more regularly as he destroys your team.

Ehlers and a re-signed Trouba for 6OA, Hronek and Veleno.

Reference the above offer.

Absolutely not. Terrible for Winnipeg.

Read Whileee's post right above yours. The Jets won't be trading Trouba as a one year rental, they'll be trading him with an agreed to extension in place like Stone or Max Pac. The Jets have far more leverage than opposing fans want to admit to themselves.

So, there would need to be a nice add to RNH for that offer to get any traction.

tenor.gif

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Probably. If Buffalo and Wpg has traded ROR for Trouba last year, they’d both be better teams today.
I guess I just don't see this as that huge a deal. I've seen Trouba play quite a bit, he's good but not great by any means. I certainly wouldn't want him to be anchoring the top pairing on my team like I've already seen a few people mention.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I think the Jets looked at fit over plain value. They must think that Pionk can fill a role right now.

I would've dragged it out to the draft. Might have got another prospect out of it. Let's not kid ourselves that all 24 US cities were options, though
The fit is the only part that makes sense. Assuming the Jets now re-sign Myers it makes their RHD Byfuglien, Myers, Pionk and everyone is slotted pretty good that way.

I agree that not all 24 cities were legitimate options, it was more of an example of how many chances there were to get other offers.

I would have brought it to the draft as well. However, if I did that the deal had to be done before the end of round one, because I believe the interview period starts the following day and if you wait until then a team may ask Trouba about his demands and decide to walk away. It’s a fine line, but like you said, maybe you get a prospect or another pick out of it.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Trouba must have made it clear he wasn't going to sign with anyone but the Rangers. So the deal had to have been forced.

Trouba really screwed over the Jets organization big time. A 50 Point Dman gets you a better deal than this every day of the week.

Crap deal for Jets fans

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think this is proof Chevy posts regularly on HF and is responsible for half of the brutal trade proposals on HF's trade forum.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
For the record I don't think the Jets got hosed in this trade. I think he got his value based on his contract. I actually projected a 2nd + a guy like Rasmussen level
That would have been better value than the actual trade. A recent 9OA with top 6 upside + high second. I doubt Pionk has any more than 3rd round value at this point, maybe a 2nd at absolute most.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Personally find Trouba to be one of the more overrated young defenseman in the league but even having said that this seems really light in the way of return.

Honestly the biggest losers in this deal might be all the teams who couldn't come up with a better offer and really needed a player like Trouba.

Reactions: STLomacneko

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I don't understand this trade at all.

It just seems like the worst offer you could get. They basically gave Trouba away and didn't want to deal with him anymore it seems.

Terrible asset management though. But you never know how a trade looks down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad