Confirmed Trade: [NYR/NJD] Michael Grabner for 2018 2nd round pick and Yegor Rykov

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I know Wood is fast. Can he play pretty decent D for a forward? I see Wood-Zajac-Grabner being one hell of a trio that can shut down top lines and put up points. As I mentioned in an earlier post, just give him some defensively sound linemates so he can take those chances stealing the cross ice pass in the D zone and he's gone for a scoring chance a couple times per game. Add the speed of Wood chasing behind him to clean up any rebounds.

Wood can backcheck and break up some odd man rushes because of his pure speed. He's got some growing to do still. I don't think Grabner and Wood can be on a line together haha. Wood is too fast for his own mind to process what to do next.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think Devils have a pretty good chance of re-signing Grabber. Doesn't have to move, doesn't have to go through a rebuild with the Rangers. It's a good fit IMO

Reactions: glenwo2

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Yeah. Please post some examples of all of the times guys got traded at the deadline then re-signed with the team that traded them.

The Rangers are about to trade Nash, McDonagh, and Zuc as well.
Weight, tkachuk, perron, rucinsky, and a lot im forgetting.
It happens all the time with vets that like where they live.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Love this trade.

Don't understand the negativity by Devil's fans.

Grabner combined with Gibbons getting back will make our penalty kill lethal.

Not to mention, his speed and finishing ability will be a big boost 5 on 5.

Awesome !

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Devils got a guy who fits their system like a glove without giving up a roster player or great prospect. I like Rykov but there was no spot for him in the near future. I think it's quite likely Grabner re-signs in NJ as well, we have tons of cap space and a pretty bright future.

This is Shero giving a huge vote of confidence in the Devils this season and going forward.

Pretty crazy to think in the last two and a half years Shero has added Hall, Palmieri, Johansson, Vatanen, and Grabner by giving up two roster players, two prospects, and a bunch of non-1st picks.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I assume he means this post:

Both GMs should be fined, and forced to resign for this debacle.

If Grabner re-signs with the Rangers it's even a better deal.

I get the impression there is a greater likelihood that Rykov comes over from the KHL to the NHL for the Rangers rather than the Devils.

Aside from the normal reasons why Rangers attract free agents and such...

Buchnevich played with him, Shestyorkin is playing with him now, and Kovalchuk expressed explicit interest to come play for the Rangers following this year. All of those on SKA.

Also, SKA is possibly the best team in the 2nd best league in the world. He also had a very good WJC showing in the past. And, also just was one of 12 selected to tryout for the Russian Olympic team - he did not make it, but that puts him among the 12 best defensemen currently in the KHL.

6'3 225, growing, gets Sami Vatenan comparisons from multiple reports.

I'll take it.

You called nothing. Between the two assets the Rangers got, the second rounder is the less valuable asset. Rykov is the main get here, the second is the throw-in.

• U18 Russian Captain
  • WJC A-Captain for Russia
  • Named top-3 player for Team Russia in the WJC
  • Scored point per game in the WJC despite being a defenseman
  • Despite being only 20 years old, was one of the 12 finalists for Team Russia in the Olympics, likely meaning he's a top-12 Russian defenseman in the KHL
  • Playing for a KHL team known to be on par with non-playoff NHL teams
  • A rare combination of good size with good skating (not good skating for his size, just good skating for any size)
  • Fast riser, improving rapidly, which is crucial at this age

Rykov is a legit prospect.. longshot but very high upside, I remember he was miles better than Sergachev during last years WJC, granted he was a full year older

Rykov is talented player. Good IQ, smooth skating, first pass. His style is similar with modern sweden D.
Top-4 potential is here, obviously.
But SKA organization is very rich, holding with money is typical scenario.

Lots of ignorance about Rykov here; certainly the Russian (& SKA) factor is at play and there is risk but if he were a 6’-2”, 220 pound smooth skating all-around 20 year-old North American defender who was excelling in the AHL - well, its pretty unlikely he would have been dealt along with a 2nd rounder for Grabner. I think he’s the centerpiece of the deal, not the 2nd round pick.

That said, kudos to the Devils for building up a quietly underrated prospect pool that the even got him as a complete steal in the first place and for being bold and going for it this year while the iron is hot. They are an even more dangerous team now for sure. Their speed up front is scary good.

pick #50 or so and a good prospect vs. pick #28 or so alone.

Which would you rather have? The better package or bragging rights on HF for getting A FIRST ROUND PICK!!!!

Traded to another team but probably doesn't even have to move. Not bad.

I love how everyone is commenting on how dumb rangers fans are for thinking Grabner would get a first round pick - when they got a middle 2nd rounder and a pretty damn good prospect. I personally would rather that combo then a late first rounder.

Rykov was an absolute steal for the Devils when they picked him. Man alive did he develop.

I’m really shocked they moved him for a rental. We made out very well on Grabner.

Heck, the Devils also maximized the value of a later round pick. So they did well, too. It’s a trade where both teams seemed to make out well, even if we got a much better prospect than I was really expecting before the trade was made.

I came in specifically to take my lumps from Riptide.
Never let it be said bernmeister is less than his word.

Yes, I did say
"But he will not go for less than a 1st ."
And that did not happen.

However I ALSO said.
"[or a prospect of enough stature to be viewed as worth a 1st]"

and by that measure I may be proven correct.

However, it is not clear today whether this prospect add is clearly worth a 1st.
It is not clear that this guy definitely contributes that kind of value.

For that reason, TODAY Riptide deserves the bragging rights.
Kudos. Enjoy.

However, tread lightly Riptide, because if anytime soon he shows up as the incarnation of Sammi Vats in his prime, then it is I who will be rightfully laughing my ass off.

I expect we will find out later there were actual 1sts on the table, which would also prove my utter and total correctness on this issue. I have no prob w/Gorton taking the value add and going down only one level; I mean it is 20 or so slots, but this guy could well be worth it.

I acknowledge Rip is within rights to hold onto a 1st given overall thinness of Pens current farm, and resisting Grabner for anything more than chump change if that, but I don't get the undervaluing of him to other teams.

It will be interesting to see if Pens and Devs wind up facing each other; if Grabs turns out to be a Pitt-killer, that will make for some interesting posts!

Any hoo, in conclusion, I think this deal was a combo of factors.
Rangers know Rykov very well for reasons noted above, and liked him better than other adds who were unknowns or early busts.

IMO they said to him, thanks, pls feel very welcome to return, he said, yea, btw, if possible, can you trade me close to NY to avoid uprooting for sake of a few months? Devils fit.

Rangers should overpay year to year next few to keep Grabner.
no 3.5 x 4 or 5
want to insure vs his wheels falling off.
4.5 next season only
4.25 following season only
4.0 season after only
do each one at a time, overpay for the privlege

reduces risk for team, could max pay day for Grabner if he stays healthy and continues to produce.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm going to tell you right now that the Rangers did not take less just to trade Grabner close to home on the off chance he may re-sign here. Gorton isn't that dumb.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
This is a good deal for both teams, imho. Rangers get what's probably a mid second rounder in a draft from what I understand to be above average. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. Rykov definitely has NHL potential, so we'll have to see how he progresses. I've always felt as a Devils fan he could easily be a solid 3rd pairing defensman and possibly a number 4.

For the Devils they've drafted really well the last few years so they could afford to give up a second and a decent prospect. They get a top 6 right winger who should fit perfectly with their style of play. A style based on speed and forechecking. I think the Devils have the fastest team in the league to be honest now. I am biased I will admit that, but I don't think it's crazy to think they're a top 3 team in the league when it comes to speed, especially up front. Now if they could just get rid of Lovejoy and bring up Santini finally.

Also, anyone know what Grabner's contract situation is like? I'm guessing UFA after this seasons over.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
This deals seems to have left the majority of both fan bases happy. Good trade.
I'll be happy with it when Shero signs Grabner to an extension and I believe that is his intention. I don't see why he would do this deal if Grabner would not be willing to re-sign here. I'm neutral as of now since I liked Rykov's potential a lot and because trading with NYR was a shock :laugh:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
complaints from either side are just silly IMHO

Devs fans may not like the market price for rentals,
but that's how the spring stretch run TDL works

the trick is not to way overpay, and not to do these deals too often
(both mistakes NYR ave made last 5 years)

Grabner is a better player, this season, than Eric Staal was 2 years back,
and NYR paid 2! 2nds plus a promising prospect

and of course kudos to GMs, for not being petty about trading partners, on a medium impact deal

Reactions: trufleshufle13

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It's a good deal if Grabner re-signs. I will say that.

Or image if the Devils re-trade Grabner for a perceived better return than the Rangers received.

Not that I think that would happen, but this thread would be more fun if it did.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Why are fans of teams and players that have no involvement in a trade like this so caught up in what some Ranger fans were hoping to receive back.

Probably has to do with how obnoxious, loud, condescending and ignorant our board is for the most part. THis thread is evidence that those traits are not the exclusive domain of HF NYR though by a longshot.

Also bc of rivalry/bias reasons.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Zajac would slow that line down. Plus, he's not offensively proficient to feed someone like grabner. Zacha is the natural fit to play with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad