Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Kevin Shattenkirk (4 Years, $6.65M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Looks like he’ll soon receive the Wade Redden treatment. Chalk up Shattenkirk as yet another monumental free agent mistake in Rangers history.

He played fine last season before his injury, and we’re just 3 games into the season.

Chalk up your post as a monumental overreaction.

giphy.gif

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Yeah, teams scratching their top defensemen three games into the season is normal occurrence. I guess if you’re a Rangers fan it isn’t abnormal to see overpaid and underachieving players sitting in the press box.

It also isn't abnormal to see petty posts like this online.

In other news, scientists have confirmed that, yes, in fact, the sky is actually blue.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Yeah, teams scratching their top defensemen three games into the season is normal occurrence. I guess if you’re a Rangers fan it isn’t abnormal to see overpaid and underachieving players sitting in the press box.

And how many players has that happened in the last decade?

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Just spitballing here but maybe when he signed with them as a UFA he was told they were going to be trying to contend for the foreseeable future, and then they decided to blow it up a year later. Could just be kinda pissed.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

Looks like he’ll soon receive the Wade Redden treatment. Chalk up Shattenkirk as yet another monumental free agent mistake in Rangers history.

We must have very different definitions of "monumental." Shattenkirk turned down 7-year deals to sign with the Rangers for four years. Hardly monumental, and the $6.6 cap hit, while nothing to sneeze at. is not the same as Redden's salary in those days.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Just spitballing here but maybe when he signed with them as a UFA he was told they were going to be trying to contend for the foreseeable future, and then they decided to blow it up a year later. Could just be kinda pissed.

That's definitely a possibility. I'm fine with shattenkirk wanting to be a tank commander. Whatever helps them get Hughes.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He has been fine the first few games, nothing special but not horrible either. The team sucks though, which was expected because we are rebulding, and Marc Staal should retire. If you wanna see a horrible player, watch Marc Staal....
I'm not sure Shatty has been better than Marc Staal. He's been absolutely terrible. Both have.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Wonder if he would have signed if he knew they were going to blow it up a half of season later.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

I mean... it's one game. He's still 29, and only signed a 4 year deal. It's not like it's a crippling contract, especially for a team that's rebuilding. Nowhere near Redden imo.

Reactions: bl02

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
We must have very different definitions of "monumental." Shattenkirk turned down 7-year deals to sign with the Rangers for four years. Hardly monumental, and the $6.6 cap hit, while nothing to sneeze at. is not the same as Redden's salary in those days.

Did you know who happens to be the 8th highest paid defenseman in the NHL this year?

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

In actual dollars, he’s earning more money than Norris Trophy winners and candidates.

Last edited by a moderator:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Did you know who happens to be the 8th highest paid defenseman in the NHL this year?

In actual dollars, he’s earning more money than Norris Trophy winners and candidates.

He also signed a contract at a different time than those Norris Trophy Candidates.

Assuming he may be healthy, maybe he just isn’t game ready yet? I tend to think it’s not too far fetched considering he missed significant time with a surgery on his lower body that maybe he’s healthy but not in game shape yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NewYorkNick

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

But hey, whatever makes you Rangers fans feel better about yourselves.
I wish you can browse by % of cap hit. His %ofCH is lower than Doughty, EK65, Vlasic, Letang, Pietrangelo, Ekblad, Gio, Keith, Weber, probably some others who are lower ranked than him in salary

Reactions: Charlie Conway

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
He's always been trash defensively. Not sure why Rangers fans wanted him 2 years ago.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
He's always been trash defensively. Not sure why Rangers fans wanted him 2 years ago.

Because RHD that can produce like Shatty are unicorns in this league. They’ve also been looking for a PPQB for ages.

Many Rangers fans didn’t want him though. I personally didn’t. I wanted a rebuild. Shatty signed a 4 year deal though. No issues at all with that term.

Reactions: A91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad