Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Kevin Shattenkirk (4 Years, $6.65M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Damn... he hasn’t aged gracefully. He looks like the guy who installed my cable.

upload_2018-10-9_21-5-12.jpeg

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah. 4 years at below market is an embarrassment compared to some of the crap getting dealt out there for 8 years.

It's a bad contract just like the others are bad contracts lol. Shattenkirk should never be paid that sort of money, he doesn't defend.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Which lead to what?

Obtuse Question.

It led to the fact that the Rangers turned an albatross contract into a legit top pairing dmen, plus the cap space to replace Gomez’s contract with Gaborik’s.

Not all moves have to result in a Cup to be successful. It was ultimately a brilliant signing with all things considered.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
He's also why I don't think Erik Karalson and Bruns will work out. Shatty was brought in to run the PP and John Carlson won the job and Shatty was then useless as a 3rd pairing Dman with Orpik.
Only one puck and only one point spot on the #1 PP

Reactions: Shark Finn

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Phaneuf was never a healthy scratch with Toronto or Calgary. He missed some time due to injury. When healthy though, he played 24+ minutes per night.

He was our best D man by a mile. No chance he was ever a healthy.

He was a good D-man, but man he sucked at face-offs!

Reactions: Oddbob

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
It's a bad contract just like the others are bad contracts lol. Shattenkirk should never be paid that sort of money, he doesn't defend.
Meh. He's not earning the money he makes, but you could find a taker if you were motivated. Staal, on the other hand, is a train wreck and I don't think you're going to find a comfy landing for him elsewhere.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He's been crap but he hasn't played NHL speed hockey in 10 months or so. He isn't mad, as someone claimed. He took the benching in stride and knows he needs to work harder on the ice. Quinn is utilizing a struggling veteran player, that he knows can mentally handle it, to show that nobody is above being benched. Hopefully Marc Staal is next.

Shattenkirk at least has the ability to play better than he has. Staal is what he is at this point. It isn't that he is playing below what is expected of him. Benching him isn't going to result in a significantly improved performance when he gets back into the lineup.

Staal has the lowest TOI per game among all Rangers' dmen. He is mainly there to play the PK, which he can still do fairly well. The only other lefty is Claesson, who I'm sure will get some games. I wouldn't mind seeing Staal and Claesson splitting time. Maybe we'll see some more games where we run 11/7 and both are in the lineup.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
This whole fiasco seems like an overreaction.

Shattenkirk has played 3 games since he was shut down half way through last season due to his knee injury. Plus there is a new coach with an entirely new system. He will play his way back to form and at this point is being used to make an example of.

Let's also not act surprised that he isn't great defensively, this is nothing new. The Rangers knew what they were getting in Shattenkirk and the rest of the league knows his game. He simply cannot be a top pairing defenseman without someone who is defensively sound as his partner.

The contract also isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. We were extremely lucky to get a 4 year term as opposed to the longer 6+ year deals that he was offered from other teams.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Holy shit this thread is a cesspool.

Shatty is fine.

Remember, we didn't back up the truck to sign this guy. and we only gave him 4 years. Do you guys really think we need the cap space in the next 2-3 years? Shatty could be useless for that period of time (he won't be) and it would change nothing about the trajectory of this team

The last bad big name free agency signing we made was 7 years ago with Brad Richards, and he wasn't even that bad.

The "rag$ sign washed up stars" narrative is tired, wrong, and really needs to die.

Last edited:

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
This whole fiasco seems like an overreaction.

Shattenkirk has played 3 games since he was shut down half way through last season due to his knee injury. Plus there is a new coach with an entirely new system. He will play his way back to form and at this point is being used to make an example of.

Let's also not act surprised that he isn't great defensively, this is nothing new. The Rangers knew what they were getting in Shattenkirk and the rest of the league knows his game. He simply cannot be a top pairing defenseman without someone who is defensively sound as his partner.

The contract also isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. We were extremely lucky to get a 4 year term as opposed to the longer 6+ year deals that he was offered from other teams.

Quinn and S-Kirk have a long history together. This might simply be........if S-Kirk can be benched....anyone can and will.....type of thing. It is a message to the team, not simply S-Kirk. So Chicken Little's the sky isn't falling on our lottery team.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Even if he is totally done, which there is no reason to believe is the case, the contract will not hurt us at all.

But sure, lol Rangers. Why not.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Remember the time the Devils wanted to sign this guy too? I'm sure you were against it the whole time.

Most Devils fans (myself included) wanted to sign Shattenkirk last offseason. There was a glaring need for a top-pairing offensive defenseman. Fortunately, NJ dodged a bullet and Shero was able to sign Butcher two months later. I think it's likely that Butcher signs elsewhere if Shattenkirk is on the Devils, as it becomes even harder for him to make the roster and Shattenkirk would be slotted in as the lone defenseman on the #1 PP unit. Butcher out produced Shattenkirk last season and the Vantanen trade helped to shore up the defense.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Did you know who happens to be the 8th highest paid defenseman in the NHL this year?

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

In actual dollars, he’s earning more money than Norris Trophy winners and candidates.

As many have pointed out, actual dollars are not a good way to contextualize this. Next year, not even counting free agent signings, he'll be at 17th, and, once those UFA contracts are signed, I wager he'll be somewhere around 20th-23rd. In terms of contract position, will he be overpaid? Sure, probably. But let's see how this year shakes out after some time to recover from a pretty severe knee injury before we slam him.

Shattenkirk isn't even a blip on the radar in terms of worst NHL contracts. His deal will expire in 3 years, and with us rebuilding during that time, it hardly matters. I'd rather attempt to field a competitive team than not.

As for the tired old narrative about the Rangers going after big free agents, Brad Richards was the last big one and was signed 7 years ago. He didn't hit the heights many hoped for, but he played a role in a few playoff runs and still wasn't awful.

On the Rangers' current roster, who is the "big free agent" signing? Shattenkirk. And then...McLeod? Claesson? Vesey? Hayes?

The Rangers developed Fast, Kreider, Buchnevich, Skjei, Chytil, Nieves, Lundqvist, and Staal.

Georgiev, Zuccarello, Pionk, and Lettieri came as UDFAs.

Namestikov, DeAngelo, Smith, McQuaid, Beleskey, Zibanejad, Spooner, and Howden came from trades.

Shattenkirk, Hayes, Vesey, McLeod, and Claesson were UFAs.

I certainly won't pretend that the Rangers front office hasn't made mistakes, but Shattenkirk wasn't/isn't one of them.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Is all this talk, really because he is getting or been healthy scratched?! That must mean he will never play for the Blue Shirts again!

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Another successful UFA shopping spree by the Rangers. The more things change....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad