Speculation: NYR haven't yet decided to QO Ryan Strome

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Not sure that combo makes a ton of sense. With a projections of a flat cap for several years I’d think lots of teams view 1st round picks as cheap contracts the next few years.

How many potential trade partners would be interested in trading down in the first round for Strome and signing him at $4.5m or so?
I feel like Strome is exactly the kind of player that, were he UFA, would get squeezed in a market like this. And then make the team that finally signs him for cheap very happy. Not sure what that means in this situation though, as he’s RFA, obviously. RFA status might be a boon for him. He’ll probably play for the qualifier. Which is better than what he might get on the open market. And I suspect his agent knows that. He’ll just have to hope to have a similar year as this year and change some minds.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I feel like Strome is exactly the kind of player that, were he UFA, would get squeezed in a market like this. And then make the team that finally signs him for cheap very happy. Not sure what that means in this situation though, as he’s RFA, obviously. RFA status might be a boon for him. He’ll probably play for the qualifier. Which is better than what he might get on the open market. And I suspect his agent knows that. He’ll just have to hope to have a similar year as this year and change some minds.

I’d have to think several teams would be interested in taking a chance on signing Strome for the $3.1m qualifier or more. Max 2-3 year deal I’d guess.

Certainly one of the most interesting cases this weird offseason.

Reactions: qqaz and egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’d have to think several teams would be interested in taking a chance on signing Strome for the $3.1m qualifier or more. Max 2-3 year deal I’d guess.

Certainly one of the most interesting cases this weird offseason.
He’s a bargain at the qualifier but at more than 4 it gets dicey. Indeed, a very interesting case. I do think the Rangers and he kick the can down the road in the high 3s for one year, sort of like what happened to ADA and Lemieux last year. Or they do 2/$8m.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I think the Rangers want to bring in another center and trade Strome for picks. At least to get back one of the second rounders they lost the next two years.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
You add him to a trade with 22, you will get 30 or lower coming back.

I stay at 22 and trade Strome for a 2nd round pick. There will still be a lot of talent in the second round and we do not have a pick in that round.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Chytil’s numbers would be pumped up as well if he were next to Panarin but that still doesn’t make him a 2C. Why rush it... The Rangers will have a young team and it will take time for them to gel together as a team.

Also Chytil really needs to work on his game at the dot. Really poor on face offs so far in his career, guessing that’s why he’s also been used as a winger. Everything else seems good about Chytil, good playmaker with a good wrister and can backcheck and play defensive forward.

Rangers should just go on a 1 year deal for Strome and after that maybe they find an answer for 2C in 21-22.
I wouldn’t throw Chytil to the wolves for no reason and ruin the kid.
Rangers shouldn’t be in any kinda rush either.

I disagree, but I think we can concur this is a matter of subjective opinion.
No one wants to "throw Chytil to the wolves" but I think his physical stature is enough he can handle more mins. Possibly a lot more; possibly only somewhat more. But can def do mo mins.

I want him to get that learning experience now w/o overdoing the mins.
I don't want to pay Strome to hang around for a yr underpaid in the meantime.
We can initiate other stopgaps if nec.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Not sure that combo makes a ton of sense. With a projections of a flat cap for several years I’d think lots of teams view 1st round picks as cheap contracts the next few years.

How many potential trade partners would be interested in trading down in the first round for Strome and signing him at $4.5m or so?

This, but we only need one and I think he realizes this is covid reality, he may want 5 north of 5, but if he wants to get in camp and not get behind competition for his job, whichever team that may be, he's gonna need to settle 1 yr at 4.
That's acceptable depending on how far back a team has to move its 1st.
NY could also add Buch to the mix.

See NY still needs to add STILL,
but
if no Geo then
Strome + Buch + 22OA + something small
for
11OA

or if add Geo then take out 22OA + increase add to something moderate

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
This situation reminds me of Kerfoot in Colorado last offseason. Like Kerfoot, Strome is a guy who technically 'can' play in your top 6 and who has shown that he can put up 40+ points in the right situation, but who you don't want to commit dollars and term to.

Best case scenario for Rangers would be to move Strome for futures, and then package some assets to acquire a much better center like Danault or Cirelli.

Reactions: bernmeister

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Tough situation for NYR:

While I liked Strome this past season, he still was inconsistent and sucks on faceoffs. If he asks for too much money, I think NYR should walk away and give Chytil a shot at #2 center. They can still sign someone like Haula to slot in as the #3 Center and help on faceoffs.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
This is an interesting situation for the Rangers.

Strome’s numbers would most certainly go down as in his Edmonton and late Islander days without a player of Panarin’s ability on his wing.

His half season pre-panarin with the Rangers he was at a .5 PPG pace. He may not be a 70 player w/o Panarin, but hes likely in the 40-50 point range, which while not outstanding, just eeks out as 2C level.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
This, but we only need one and I think he realizes this is covid reality, he may want 5 north of 5, but if he wants to get in camp and not get behind competition for his job, whichever team that may be, he's gonna need to settle 1 yr at 4.
That's acceptable depending on how far back a team has to move its 1st.
NY could also add Buch to the mix.

See NY still needs to add STILL,
but
if no Geo then
Strome + Buch + 22OA + something small
for
11OA

or if add Geo then take out 22OA + increase add to something moderate
Keep pitching, bern. Some real GM must be reading this, somewhere.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This situation reminds me of Kerfoot in Colorado last offseason. Like Kerfoot, Strome is a guy who technically 'can' play in your top 6 and who has shown that he can put up 40+ points in the right situation, but who you don't want to commit dollars and term to.

Best case scenario for Rangers would be to move Strome for futures, and then package some assets to acquire a much better center like Danault or Cirelli.

Agree on the move Strome, want to hold off on paying to add.
At this pt if not dealt we have Zib, Chytil and Kravtsov for top 6 pivot, and I'm not looking to move Chytil unless DET - NY do big deal.

We have Morgan Barron, not sure how ready he is.

If not dealt, Howden is fine as 3C, Nieves actually is kick ass option at 4C w/LW Lemieux on a checking line, give big bruising Gettinger nod at RW over returning Fast.

Want to roll there before paying to add.
Remember today is zero concern, but in 3 yrs NY will need cap space.
The more Rangers plan now, the less they have to go thru machinations later.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Kinda feel bad for Strome. Great guy, locker room leader, and a really talented player who doesn't get enough credit because he's either underperformed (see: Oilers), or overperformed (with Panarin). Now he's played his way into possibly getting a contract that is tough to justify. Could you imagine this conversation happening two years ago when NYR obtained Strome for Ryan Spooner? The guy provided incredible value, and as much as Panarin made Strome look great, Panarin also had a career year playing with him, so there was definitely chemistry there.

Anyway, Rangers really can't afford to bring him back, or shouldn't. Time to give Chytil a chance at #2c, or swing a trade/offer sheet for someone like Cirelli.

I do think that Strome has turned a corner and will at the very least be a 40-50 pt Center, great on a third line.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I posted this in another thread about Strome, and thought I'd copy it here as well.

When assessing Strome's career stats he is a sub-0.5ppg player up to now who's had one inflated year while riding shotgun with Panarin. There are many tell-tale signs of this being a one-off career year for him, including:

- His career average is 0.52ppg. This season he's at 0.84 ppg.
- His last 6 seasons his points totals were 28, 30, 34, 35, 35, and 59....... Not hard to spot the outlier.
- This season he is being spoon-fed minutes with sheltered offensive minutes with 54.6 oZS% and 19:35 ATOI, by far the highest in his career.
- Shooting % in 2 years with Rangers is 15.4%, which is 5.1% higher than his career average.
- 104.4 PDO this season, which is 9th highest in the league among forwards with at least 50 games.
- He has raked in PP points playing with Panarin, Zibanejad, and Deangelo, with 14 PP assists. Before this season he had only 26 PP assists in 7 seasons combined. Needless to say it's likely that he sees a big drop in assists with his new team without PP1 time next to star players like Panarin and Zibanejad.

All of those combined are signs of a player with heavily inflated stats, and it's unlikely that he'd be anything more than a 35-40 point player without PP1 time and tons of offensive ice time.

He's basically an offensive 3C that depends a lot on linemates for production. Based on the stats above I doubt GM's are going to be lining up to acquire him to be the sucker that gives him a raise, particularly as there's every chance that he reverts back to his Edmonton production if he doesn't get a lot of heavily sheltered offensive minutes.

I’m not a huge Strome fan, but this isn’t completely accurate. He started producing extremely well with the Rangers before Panarin ever got here. You failed to mention that. I don’t think he’s a complete product of Panarin.

He’s an okay complimentary second line scorer. It’s best to insulate him with guys who can drive play and are good defensively. He can finish though and puts up points at a high rate. Not everyone can play with a guy like Panarin. Strome does well in that he can keep up with him on scoring chances.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Agree on the move Strome, want to hold off on paying to add.
At this pt if not dealt we have Zib, Chytil and Kravtsov for top 6 pivot, and I'm not looking to move Chytil unless DET - NY do big deal.

We have Morgan Barron, not sure how ready he is.

If not dealt, Howden is fine as 3C, Nieves actually is kick ass option at 4C w/LW Lemieux on a checking line, give big bruising Gettinger nod at RW over returning Fast.

Want to roll there before paying to add.
Remember today is zero concern, but in 3 yrs NY will need cap space.
The more Rangers plan now, the less they have to go thru machinations later.

Howden is a below average 4C, he’s absolutely NOT fine at 3C.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I’m not a huge Strome fan, but this isn’t completely accurate. He started producing extremely well with the Rangers before Panarin ever got here. You failed to mention that. I don’t think he’s a complete product of Panarin.

He’s an okay complimentary second line scorer. It’s best to insulate him with guys who can drive play and are good defensively. He can finish though and puts up points at a high rate. Not everyone can play with a guy like Panarin. Strome does well in that he can keep up with him on scoring chances.
The problem with Strome is not production it's his finesse style. Also not the fastest skater. Don't the Rangers have enough soft players?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Ottawa please no, we don't need another Chris Tierney production like player.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Why would the Rangers walk away, couldn't they just sign at what arbitration awarded him for that one year and then trade with retention?

Reactions: bl02

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Agree to disagree.
Lower end of average for 3C.
Admit he is not much above that at this pt.
But that is still 3C material.

If he stays needs to be on a line w/gauthier and good LW match.
not jerked all over the place.

He’s not 3C material. There’s no agreeing to disagree here.

1. The 3rd line literally played better when he was off of it and moved down to the 4th line.

2. He hasn’t had a run of good consistent play since October 2018 ended.

3. The eye test and advanced stats both say he’s one of the worst forwards in the league offensively and defensively.

You want to argue that he’s a passable 4C? Ok, fine. But 3C? You’re out to lunch.

Reactions: its josh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad