Speculation: NYR haven't yet decided to QO Ryan Strome

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Better off trading him as he'd get 4.5m in arbitration and 5m as a ufa with such a weak class of Cs this offseason.

So the question is, who wants to spend 4.5m on Strome? Minnesota? Ottawa?

Y 7 derstanding is you can QO him.

The team doesn’t have to accept the arbitration design and then away

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
So they unqualify him and try to get him cheaper
Or just go to arbitration and sign a one year deal. Easily a tradable contract the way he played last season. He was fantastic. I see no reason to try to sign him for more than one year anyway, too risky.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Or just go to arbitration and sign a one year deal. Easily a tradable contract the way he played last season. He was fantastic. I see no reason to try to sign him for more than one year anyway, too risky.

Agreed. But if they are still undecided for whatever reason maybe they value him at a lower price only.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I agree with your overall point but I just want to say something about the part I quoted. In general I think the oZS% is an overrated or overused stat for a number of reasons. But if we are going to call 54.6 oZS% "spoon-fed".... what does MacKinnon's 57.6% this year mean?

To be clear, I'm no criticizing MacKinnon, only the use of this stat to say someone is being "spoon-fed" opportunity.
That's a fair point. I wouldn't lean too heavily on that oZS% stat for the most part, as most line changes happen in open play rather than at faceoffs. However I do think it can offer some insight into how a coach tends to use a player, but should be taken in context and not as a stand-alone stat.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I posted this in another thread about Strome, and thought I'd copy it here as well.

When assessing Strome's career stats he is a sub-0.5ppg player up to now who's had one inflated year while riding shotgun with Panarin. There are many tell-tale signs of this being a one-off career year for him, including:

- His career average is 0.52ppg. This season he's at 0.84 ppg.
- His last 6 seasons his points totals were 28, 30, 34, 35, 35, and 59....... Not hard to spot the outlier.
- This season he is being spoon-fed minutes with sheltered offensive minutes with 54.6 oZS% and 19:35 ATOI, by far the highest in his career.
- Shooting % in 2 years with Rangers is 15.4%, which is 5.1% higher than his career average.
- 104.4 PDO this season, which is 9th highest in the league among forwards with at least 50 games.
- He has raked in PP points playing with Panarin, Zibanejad, and Deangelo, with 14 PP assists. Before this season he had only 26 PP assists in 7 seasons combined. Needless to say it's likely that he sees a big drop in assists with his new team without PP1 time next to star players like Panarin and Zibanejad.

All of those combined are signs of a player with heavily inflated stats, and it's unlikely that he'd be anything more than a 35-40 point player without PP1 time and tons of offensive ice time.

He's basically an offensive 3C that depends a lot on linemates for production. Based on the stats above I doubt GM's are going to be lining up to acquire him to be the sucker that gives him a raise, particularly as there's every chance that he reverts back to his Edmonton production if he doesn't get a lot of heavily sheltered offensive minutes.
I doubt they'll be lining up for him, but IMO some GM out there will ignore these stats and sign him. Hoping it's not NYR.

Reactions: Richard88

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I think Cirelli and Strome are the main two guys that Dallas should look at to fill the hole up mid. Cirelli would be a natural fit, he'd fit like a glove, the Stars would be dangerous instantly with him. Strome is not. He'd have to learn how to play Dallas Stars hockey. However, as of right now, those two seem to be the top guys for the position. And if Strome is cheaper or comes with less resistance, albeit we still don't know quite what we're dealing with in Tampa, he'd be an option.

Reactions: egelband

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Better off trading him as he'd get 4.5m in arbitration and 5m as a ufa with such a weak class of Cs this offseason.

I think most of us in Minnesota are pretty open to it as long as we don't have to pay him like a ~70 point player (his pace this year). At $4.5M it really wouldn't be a bad bet, depending on the acquiring cost.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If Panarin makes Strome a better player, then I don't really care as long as it's working. I can't see us getting to the point where we find a better center or draft a center ready any time soon. Zibby won't be able to play with Panarin. So if Strome works, I'm ok with him signing for 2-3 years. If other teams have good wingers to carry the puck and need a guy in the middle, Strome would prob fit. He's not a guy that will carry your line, but he seems to buy more space for better players, and also finds a way to get open himself.

I'd want around a 2nd if we were trading him.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think the team can walk away if the player initiates arbitration and its only a one year deal or something.
Yeah. Only allowed 1 per year unless 3 or more arbitrations are awarded. So maybe they fear walking away from both DeAngelo and Strome.

There's also the threshold

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
This is an interesting situation for the Rangers.

Gorton knows that Chytil and Howden are not ready to take on the 2C spot and that the UFA market for 2C’s is pretty much nonexistent but also doesn’t want Stome at around 4.5mil aav.

So does Gorton make a lateral move for another 2C or does he qualify Ryan Strome in hopes he can still put up decent numbers with whoever his line mates are in 20-21?

I believe the Rangers want to see Strome carry a line without Panarin’s help and know that most likely he can’t.

Strome’s numbers would most certainly go down as in his Edmonton and late Islander days without a player of Panarin’s ability on his wing.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Those 2; also I think FL and other contenders who are losing a more expensive piece that want a stopgap.

I posted this in another thread about Strome, and thought I'd copy it here as well.

When assessing Strome's career stats he is a sub-0.5ppg player up to now who's had one inflated year while riding shotgun with Panarin. There are many tell-tale signs of this being a one-off career year for him, including:

- His last 6 seasons his points totals were 28, 30, 34, 35, 35, and 59....... Not hard to spot the outlier.
- This season he is being spoon-fed minutes with sheltered offensive minutes with 54.6 oZS% and 19:35 ATOI, by far the highest in his career.
- Shooting % in 2 years with Rangers is 15.4%, which is 5.1% higher than his career average.
- 104.4 PDO this season, which is 9th highest in the league among forwards with at least 50 games.
- He has raked in PP points playing with Panarin, Zibanejad, and Deangelo, with 14 PP assists. Before this season he had only 26 PP assists in 7 seasons combined. Needless to say it's likely that he sees a big drop in assists with his new team without PP1 time next to star players like Panarin and Zibanejad.

All of those combined are signs of a player with heavily inflated stats, and it's unlikely that he'd be anything more than a 35-40 point player without PP1 time and tons of offensive ice time.

He's basically an offensive 3C that depends a lot on linemates for production. Based on the stats above I doubt GM's are going to be lining up to acquire him to be the sucker that gives him a raise, particularly as there's every chance that he reverts back to his Edmonton production if he doesn't get a lot of heavily sheltered offensive minutes.

Let's be honest.
Almost ANY player w/breadman, then no Panarin, of course it's gonna be a hit.
No one is saying he is a dominant driver of play.
He is 5OA talent who has matured and as a righty shot pivot who can also RW, he is worth a raise from 3.1 or whatever to 4. Below 4 a bargain. High water mark in the market, 4.5.

The key, w/the exp dr, is not the $ and if it goes a bit above that which I don't believe it will. The ? is only a handful of teams are so thin on F that they can take him on more than 1 yr. Although I guess you could always expose him.

He wants to get paid.
covid happened
leaguewide
He has to go 1 yr at a time unless he really wants to drop his price.

But again, that price is 4-ish, whether player likes that or not.
At 4, he should get 2nd +.

They average almost identical numbers over a 82 game average.
Both are good complimentary players.
Would be good in FL give Hoffman a reason to return.
If he can set up Panarin, he can set up Hoffman
Hoffman <<< Panarin, but the comparison holds even if not to the same degree.

If Panarin makes Strome a better player, then I don't really care as long as it's working. I can't see us getting to the point where we find a better center or draft a center ready any time soon. Zibby won't be able to play with Panarin. So if Strome works, I'm ok with him signing for 2-3 years. If other teams have good wingers to carry the puck and need a guy in the middle, Strome would prob fit. He's not a guy that will carry your line, but he seems to buy more space for better players, and also finds a way to get open himself.

I'd want around a 2nd if we were trading him.

Do not want to keep him 2/+ yrs.
Would prefer to deal now and give those mins to Kakko, Kravtsov, Gauthier, etc.

This is an interesting situation for the Rangers.

Gorton knows that Chytil and Howden are not ready to take on the 2C spot and that the UFA market for 2C’s is pretty much nonexistent but also doesn’t want Stome at around 4.5mil aav.

So does Gorton make a lateral move for another 2C or does he qualify Ryan Strome in hopes he can still put up decent numbers with whoever his line mates are in 20-21?

I believe the Rangers want to see Strome carry a line without Panarin’s help and know that most likely he can’t.

Strome’s numbers would most certainly go down as in his Edmonton and late Islander days without a player of Panarin’s ability on his wing.

Hell no.
Sure, Howden isn't ready.
But Chytil very def is.

We can and should sell Strome as we should with other vets and focus on emerging youth.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Hell no.
Sure, Howden isn't ready.
But Chytil very def is.

We can and should sell Strome as we should with other vets and focus on emerging youth.
Chytil’s numbers would be pumped up as well if he were next to Panarin but that still doesn’t make him a 2C. Why rush it... The Rangers will have a young team and it will take time for them to gel together as a team.

Also Chytil really needs to work on his game at the dot. Really poor on face offs so far in his career, guessing that’s why he’s also been used as a winger. Everything else seems good about Chytil, good playmaker with a good wrister and can backcheck and play defensive forward.

Rangers should just go on a 1 year deal for Strome and after that maybe they find an answer for 2C in 21-22.
I wouldn’t throw Chytil to the wolves for no reason and ruin the kid.
Rangers shouldn’t be in any kinda rush either.

Reactions: egelband and bl02

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
he'll be used as a draft day trade with 22 to move up into the draft.

Not sure that combo makes a ton of sense. With a projections of a flat cap for several years I’d think lots of teams view 1st round picks as cheap contracts the next few years.

How many potential trade partners would be interested in trading down in the first round for Strome and signing him at $4.5m or so?

Reactions: bernmeister

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

Very fair. I think he’s optimistically a middle-sixer who can help on the PP. He’s a good player but his cap hit is the key.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad