Speculation: NYR haven't yet decided to QO Ryan Strome

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Better off trading him as he'd get 4.5m in arbitration and 5m as a ufa with such a weak class of Cs this offseason.

So the question is, who wants to spend 4.5m on Strome? Minnesota? Ottawa?

Last edited:
Reactions: Morrison

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I posted this in another thread about Strome, and thought I'd copy it here as well.

When assessing Strome's career stats he is a sub-0.5ppg player up to now who's had one inflated year while riding shotgun with Panarin. There are many tell-tale signs of this being a one-off career year for him, including:

- His career average is 0.52ppg. This season he's at 0.84 ppg.
- His last 6 seasons his points totals were 28, 30, 34, 35, 35, and 59....... Not hard to spot the outlier.
- This season he is being spoon-fed minutes with sheltered offensive minutes with 54.6 oZS% and 19:35 ATOI, by far the highest in his career.
- Shooting % in 2 years with Rangers is 15.4%, which is 5.1% higher than his career average.
- 104.4 PDO this season, which is 9th highest in the league among forwards with at least 50 games.
- He has raked in PP points playing with Panarin, Zibanejad, and Deangelo, with 14 PP assists. Before this season he had only 26 PP assists in 7 seasons combined. Needless to say it's likely that he sees a big drop in assists with his new team without PP1 time next to star players like Panarin and Zibanejad.

All of those combined are signs of a player with heavily inflated stats, and it's unlikely that he'd be anything more than a 35-40 point player without PP1 time and tons of offensive ice time.

He's basically an offensive 3C that depends a lot on linemates for production. Based on the stats above I doubt GM's are going to be lining up to acquire him to be the sucker that gives him a raise, particularly as there's every chance that he reverts back to his Edmonton production if he doesn't get a lot of heavily sheltered offensive minutes.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I posted this in another thread about Strome, and thought I'd copy it here as well.

When assessing Strome's career stats he is a sub-0.5ppg player up to now who's had one inflated year while riding shotgun with Panarin. There are many tell-tale signs of this being a one-off career year for him, including:

- His career average is 0.52ppg. This season he's at 0.84 ppg.
- His last 6 seasons his points totals were 28, 30, 34, 35, 35, and 59....... Not hard to spot the outlier.
- This season he is being spoon-fed minutes with sheltered offensive minutes with 54.6 oZS% and 19:35 ATOI, by far the highest in his career.
- Shooting % in 2 years with Rangers is 15.4%, which is 5.1% higher than his career average.
- 104.4 PDO this season, which is 9th highest in the league among forwards with at least 50 games.
- He has raked in PP points playing with Panarin, Zibanejad, and Deangelo, with 14 PP assists. Before this season he had only 26 PP assists in 7 seasons combined. Needless to say it's likely that he sees a big drop in assists with his new team without PP1 time next to star players like Panarin and Zibanejad.

All of those combined are signs of a player with heavily inflated stats, and it's unlikely that he'd be anything more than a 35-40 point player without PP1 time and tons of offensive ice time.

He's basically an offensive 3C that depends a lot on linemates for production. Based on the stats above I doubt GM's are going to be lining up to acquire him to be the sucker that gives him a raise, particularly as there's every chance that he reverts back to his Edmonton production if he doesn't get a lot of heavily sheltered offensive minutes.

Strome did have a 50 pt season early in his career but your points are valid.

One could say the same about Bura no?
:sarcasm:

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Sort of off topic but I see Ryan Strome as a worst case scenario for what Cole Perfetti becomes.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
His arbitration comparables are pretty rough.
  • White, 41 pts, 4.75×6, 5.83 cap%
  • Trocheck, 53 pts, 4.75×6, 6.51 cap%
  • Wennberg, 59 pts, 4.9×6, 6.53 cap%
  • Kadri, 45 pts, 4.5×6, 6.30 cap%
  • Dvorak, 37 pts, 4.45×6, 5.60 cap%
  • Schmaltz, 52 pts, 5.85×7, 7.36 cap%
Pts is career high at the time of the signing.

They shouldn't qualify him, many players could've scored 59 in 70 beside Panarin.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Better off trading him as he'd get 4.5m in arbitration and 5m as a ufa with such a weak class of Cs this offseason.

So the question is, who wants to spend 4.5m on Strome? Minnesota? Ottawa?

Somebody primed to make a big mistake. This guy is 27 years old coming off a career year. They're obviously different players, but the situation reminds me of Matt Beleskey. Buyer beware.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If he wasn't eligible for arbitration, it'd be a no brainer to qualify him. As is they need to find someone willing to give him whatever he's asking to avoid arbitration, and take what they can get for his rights. I assume he's asking for more than the Rangers are comfortable with or they'd have locked him up already. Maybe someone else thinks he's worth it and the arbitration risk. With the flat cap, I think teams are less comfortable than normal with the arbitration process locking them into a mistake.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Strome did have a 50 pt season early in his career but your points are valid.

One could say the same about Bura no?
:sarcasm:
Burakovsky had underlying stats suggesting that he could score more if given more minutes. He also had a track record of playoff performance, and now has 9 goals in 9 elimination games, including 4 goals in game 7's.

It's also worth noting that Burakovsky had 2 years left of team control at the time of the trade, allowing Colorado to go for a cheap 1 year "prove it" deal before offering term.

Conversely Strome is in the last year of team control, so whoever acquires him needs to give him term right off the bat, or risk arbitration.

To state the obvious also, Strome was getting PP1 time and 5v5 minutes with Panarin, wheras Burakovsky was playing on PP2 and on Colorado's 2nd line with Kadri and a revolving door of Donskoi/Nichuskin/Compher/Jost.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The article does not exactly match the title of this post...it says they have yet to decide. Not, "Rangers have NOT qualified," which makes it sound like they're cutting him loose.
That’s Brooksie for you.

Reactions: Morrison

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Burakovsky had underlying stats suggesting that he could score more if given more minutes. He also had a track record of playoff performance, and now has 9 goals in 9 elimination games, including 4 goals in game 7's.

It's also worth noting that Burakovsky had 2 years left of team control at the time of the trade, allowing Colorado to go for a cheap 1 year "prove it" deal before offering term.

Conversely Strome is in the last year of team control, so whoever acquires him needs to give him term right off the bat, or risk arbitration.

To state the obvious also, Strome was getting PP1 time and 5v5 minutes with Panarin, wheras Burakovsky was playing on PP2 and on Colorado's 2nd line with Kadri and a revolving door of Donskoi/Nichuskin/Compher/Jost.

They average almost identical numbers over a 82 game average.
Both are good complimentary players.

Reactions: bernmeister

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Worst case is a one year arbitration contract around 5-5,5 million or something no? Easily a tradable contract because its only one year and he was amazing last season. No good reason to not do it imo...

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Strome sucks.
I dont think he is anything special at all but he was fantastic for us last season. He wasnt just ok, he was really good. Still have no interest in anything more than a one year deal after arbitration though.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
If he wasn't eligible for arbitration, it'd be a no brainer to qualify him. As is they need to find someone willing to give him whatever he's asking to avoid arbitration, and take what they can get for his rights. I assume he's asking for more than the Rangers are comfortable with or they'd have locked him up already. Maybe someone else thinks he's worth it and the arbitration risk. With the flat cap, I think teams are less comfortable than normal with the arbitration process locking them into a mistake.
A one year deal after arbitration isnt exactly a big problem for the Rangers though. Could be a perfect player to have for only one year the way he played last season. Wouldnt think its hard to trade him after arbitration either since its only a one year deal.
Dont really get why we would be interested in giving him anything more than a one year deal right now anyway...

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
- This season he is being spoon-fed minutes with sheltered offensive minutes with 54.6 oZS%.

I agree with your overall point but I just want to say something about the part I quoted. In general I think the oZS% is an overrated or overused stat for a number of reasons. But if we are going to call 54.6 oZS% "spoon-fed".... what does MacKinnon's 57.6% this year mean?

To be clear, I'm no criticizing MacKinnon, only the use of this stat to say someone is being "spoon-fed" opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad