Confirmed Trade: [NYR/CHI/ARI] Kane (@25%) and Zech to NYR; Welinski, Saarijarvi, ‘23 2nd (top 10 prot ‘24 1st if NYR make ECF), ‘25 4th to CHI; c. ‘25 3rd to ARI

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
That's a good deal for New York.

However, there are a whole bunch of good teams in the East going all-in this year. Only one of them is going to get to the Stanley Cup Final.

Reactions: Sinbad

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
He is an UFA like Tarasenko. I'm not sure if they can realistically sign both of them. I'm sure regardless how Kane does he will stay as a Ranger for a 3 year deal or so. Tarasenko has made good money but he will have one more shot at one decent NHL contract so he might proceed himself out of the Rangers cap situation. It's basically go for it all this year and see what happens with them and the Rangers.

Reactions: AirGut and HITMAN88

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
He is an UFA like Tarasenko. I'm not sure if they can realistically sign both of them. I'm sure regardless how Kane does he will stay as a Ranger for a 3 year deal or so. Tarasenko has made good money but he will have one more shot at one decent NHL contract so he might proceed himself out of the Rangers cap situation. It's basically go for it all this year and see what happens with them and the Rangers.
I doubt we can resign either unless we move out Goodrow/Kreider contract.We are strapped as it is and have to resign a few of the youngsters.I think a lot hinges on what they do in the playoffs.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Can't help but think back to the middling offensive teams Lundqvist had to will into contention all those years along with that Staal-Girardi top pairing whose PMD acumen consisted of shot blocking the puck up the ice.

Imagine Henrik getting this kind of support up front to work with in 2009-2016

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I doubt we can resign either unless we move out Goodrow/Kreider contract.We are strapped as it is and have to resign a few of the youngsters.I think a lot hinges on what they do in the playoffs.
Kane has made plenty of money over his career. I know these guys won't play for a few million but it just have a feeling he will sign a real sweet heart deal.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yeah, that’s ugly for sure…..the 2nd becomes a first if they make ECF which is a pretty good bet.

it’s got to be hard to negotiate when the player is only willing to go one team??? The Rangers knew that so they were in a position of strength.
cheers
Rangers have to beat Devil's and Canes both to get to final 4. Not good odds that pick will be a first

• Haha
Reactions: RangerFanInMKE

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Rangers have to beat Devil's and Canes both to get to final 4. Not good odds that pick will be a first

They beat the Canes last year and added Trocheck, Tarasenko and Kane this year while the Canes responded with Puljujarvi (and the fairly lateral Burns for DeAngelo). And the Devils are virtually guaranteed to faceplant as every young team that makes the playoffs their first time does.

Reactions: Brother Mouzone

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Kane said his hip bothered him more last season than this season. I do think he got bored or disinterested for much of this season, playing on what is probably the least talented team in the NHL.

For my thoughts. Obviously his demand of the Rangers hurt his value a lot. But the return wasn't quite as bad as some of the leaks/rumors from the New York side at least. It is what it is. I wish Kane and the Rangers well.

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
It seems almost certain the Rangers will meet the Devils in round 1 and it has the potential to be an amazing series. I believe Jack Hughes has said Kane is his favourite player and inspiration so he’ll relish the chance to play Kane, I expect.

I‘be followed the NHL since around 2010 and I don’t recall anything like the arms race that’s happening in the East this year. Is there anything comparable?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
When you have a good team you try to get better just like all the other contenders in the East did. The Rangers got Tarasenko, Kane, Mikkola, and Motte, and they gave up peanuts when comparing value. It's also a very real possibility that several of those guys can be resigned. Drury gets a A. ....
bold:
you always try to get better all the time.
Your blind insistence on your narrative as being correct is repudiated by actual history.
In recent memory, in ANY league, not just NHL, only the nfl's Rams won by going all in, and you can argue they would not have prevailed had the 49ers only been smart enough to play their backup instead of a severely wounded Jimmy G.

Remember, improving the team is not enuf. It is cup or bust, an all or nothing scenario.

Squandering assets feels good in the present moment, but costs in real time going forward.

Now again, IF IF IF your team is very long in the tooth, aging and at the end of its window, yes, maybe you go beyond splurge into extended gamble territory.

But if not, and that is still -- barely --- the case with Rangers [stupidly mismanaging Krav situation not playing him over overrated vets (Strome previously and multiple including Leshitshow this year), you CONTINUE to BUILD.
By doing THAT w/improving youth, you wind up w/a deep roster that stays affordable longer, which = multiple shots at the cup, which = better chance at winning cup.

Every year a stud challenger emerges.
Last yr, Avalanche could not be denied; this year, a top finalist, but perhaps vulnerable.
Boston this yr came from nowhere. Odds are regardless, they will prevail this season. However, they are very long in the tooth.
nyr w/continued blossoming of players like KAM, Schneider, Kakko, Chytil and others, stand to be finalists for several years --- if they don't eff it up along the way, w/moves like recent splurges and unnecessary, avoidable Krav giveaway.

underline:
there is ZERO, nada, zilch reason to take your comment as correct.
On face value, even if any of Tara/Kane took massive cut just to be here, we are screwed until we can not re-sign Panarin and jettison his 11+m.
Maybe recovering part of Trouba's 8m after next season.
But all of that does not help immediately.
Correct move is to extend fully, not bridge KAM + Chytil [bridge costs more long term].
Not only are we not going sign vets you refer to, we are likely going to have to trade Lindgren and prob also Goodrow to have a shot for such extensions.

Your representation is false, without any basis in reality.
Numbers do not lie.
Can be taken out of context, briefly, yes.
But ultimately, math is math and numbers do not lie.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
A playoff Kane is just a different animal. I have 0 issues rooting like crazy for the Rangers to go all the way....... to the ECF. :naughty:

Reactions: AzHawk

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It seems almost certain the Rangers will meet the Devils in round 1 and it has the potential to be an amazing series. I believe Jack Hughes has said Kane is his favourite player and inspiration so he’ll relish the chance to play Kane, I expect.

I‘be followed the NHL since around 2010 and I don’t recall anything like the arms race that’s happening in the East this year. Is there anything comparable?

Rangers will knock the Devils out. Better offense, Better Defense, Better Goaltending

Reactions: RangerFanInMKE

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Kane and Tarasenko are not the players they once were but the Rangers aren't looking to build around them.

They're looking for them to score big goals in a 28 game max tournament. And who in their right mind wouldn't want these guys with the puck on their stick in a tight PO game versus Jimmy Vesey or Kravtsov? And they didn't give up any of their key assets: 2023 1st, Cuylle, Othmann, Zac Jones, Robertson, Kakko, Laf, Miller, Chytil, Schneider, Lindgren.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
I wasn't the person you originally replied/cried to, so no, you mentioned the Leafs before me. My first post in the thread was about how good NYR look and that Kane gets to choose where he wants to go after winning 3 cups for Chicago. I know you probably won't look as it won't play into your delusion of being a whine baby who cries any time someone talks about Toronto.

I've also never said I thought Toronto was getting Kane even though I'd have loved to have him, so yeah, go cry some more and keep burying your head in your own delusion. (And yes, I seen the interview.)

Maybe eventually you'll actually comment on something to do with the Rangers instead of stalking Leafs fans.
LOL, “stalking Leaf fans”.

No one has to stalk Leafs fans, they are in every thread commenting on how the conversation impacts Toronto… just like you are now.

Having said that, I’m not wasting anymore time going back and forth with a fan of the whiniest, loser franchise in the history of the league.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
LOL, “stalking Leaf fans”.

No one has to stalk Leafs fans, they are in every thread commenting on how the conversation impacts Toronto… just like you are now.

Having said that, I’m not wasting anymore time going back and forth with a fan of the whiniest, loser franchise in the history of the league.

Yet ironically, I've commented more about Kane and the Rangers (and recieved subsequent likes from non-Leafs fan) in this thread than you who has pretty much only complained about the Leafs.

Quick, a Leafs fan might have commented in the Gavrikov thread, you can go stalk them now and whine some more!

I agree though, no more time needs to be wasted with a whiny poster like yourself who clearly just wants to derail threads to air your grievances with fans of a team you don't like. I'll go ahead and add you to ignore now.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Yet ironically, I've commented more about Kane and the Rangers (and recieved subsequent likes from non-Leafs fan) in this thread than you who has pretty much only complained about the Leafs.

Quick, a Leafs fan might have commented in the Gavrikov thread, you can go stalk them now and whine some more!

I agree though, no more time needs to be wasted with a whiny poster like yourself who clearly just wants to derail threads to air your grievances with fans of a team you don't like. I'll go ahead and add you to ignore now.
Thank you!

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
Chicago had to retain salary as well? I would honestly have held onto him and just let it crash.
New York didn't have to do really anything in this trade, all Kane's cards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad