Confirmed with Link: NYR agree 2 year extension with Zac Jones

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I still think Jones is in their plans but 2 year deal ups his trade value too. The negativity around him is probably mostly due to Gallant being a dolt and not giving him a real chance because of his size. I’ve been banging the drum but if Laviolette gives them an actual system to play in, all the defensemen will look much better. They got no support from the forwards all year

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
He will either play this year or likely be traded. His style may fit better in Laviolette‘s system. We’ll see.

Of course...to be clear, I don't have a problem with the signing, I just don't think he has what it takes to make it in the NHL. Pionk was a much better skater with much faster feet.
Jones is a "heady" offensive defenseman who's small and likes to activate, but isn't great along the boards, doesn't have great foot speed, and doesn't have a great shot or elite vision/passing.

He's better than Ben Harpur, but that shouldn't be the barometer around here. Would prefer they find a team that thinks he has upside and acquire a young player back the other way who has skills but is raw and can be coached.

Maybe if he improves his skating and shooting by leaps and bounds, he could be something, but not really holding my breath.
Oh c’mon…Jones is a much better skater than Pionk. Shot not so much.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Not sure he even has that much value in a trade, it's a copycat league and teams will want bigger D like Vegas'. Small offensive-minded D-men might put up some good regular season metrics, but come playoff time 5'10/175-pound D get eaten alive more often than not. Jones might just be stuck in limbo until someone with that sort of "need" inquires.

Reactions: will1066

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Mollie reports its 1-way both years, but i am skeptical
I do think Lavallette may see him differently than Turk did,
see him as a talent who can be blended into the mix and contribute over time

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Not sure he even has that much value in a trade, it's a copycat league and teams will want bigger D like Vegas'. Small offensive-minded D-men might put up some good regular season metrics, but come playoff time 5'10/175-pound D get eaten alive more often than not. Jones might just be stuck in limbo until someone with that sort of "need" inquires.
Whether that offensive mindedness comes to fruition will be the key to whether he sticks or has a minor league career, because if you don't have size, you have to be good at putting points on the board or helping others do it.

Reactions: bhamill

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Ok. Optimism. Jones needs to play. Yes, he will have issues “clearing the crease”, but he is step one in making this team play a faster game.

Get KAM signed and focus on the forwards.

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Lindgren-Schneider

That’s an elite top pair, a balanced second pair, and a good third pair that shouldn’t get caved like the third pair always did last year.

They are going to play Jones with Schneider though. Hopefully those two can survive long enough to not get buried by the coaching staff.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Gallant pulling him out of the lineup after the first mistake messed with his confidence last season and it took him time to get back to form. He was Hartford’s best dman in the few games I caught last year, and he should be given more of leash to force Schneider to be less aggressive on offense.

He also should be the PP2QB over Trouba

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Ok. Optimism. Jones needs to play. Yes, he will have issues “clearing the crease”, but he is step one in making this team play a faster game.

Get KAM signed and focus on the forwards.

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Lindgren-Schneider

That’s an elite top pair, a balanced second pair, and a good third pair that shouldn’t get caved like the third pair always did last year.

They are going to play Jones with Schneider though. Hopefully those two can survive long enough to not get buried by the coaching staff.
Honestly, don't even mind going

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Jones - Trouba

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Still not a fan. Think he has more value as a trade chip. Guy has Mike Mottau/Thomas Pock/Matt Gilroy vibes written all over him. Good in college, decent AHLer, not a good NHLer.
None of those guys were draaafted and Gilroy and Pock had major concerns nfrom day 1... Mottau is a different beast as a type and was ultimately a pro longer than the others, they were like 23-24. Unfortunately, he's looking more like Bobby Sanguinetti.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
he just needs to gain more strength. Tory Krug is shorter but stockier and was a best before he got injured. Jones is and will probably always be a less successful version of Krug
I haven't seen enough of him to make a fair evaluation. I think our defense lacks speed so Im open to him or others. Think Lindy may eventually move down to our 3rd pairing.

None of those guys were draaafted and Gilroy and Pock had major concerns nfrom day 1... Mottau is a different beast as a type and was ultimately a pro longer than the others, they were like 23-24. Unfortunately, he's looking more like Bobby Sanguinetti.
Wish Bobby made it. He had very good speed and a good shot.

Reactions: bhamill

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I have real doubts about Jones and I'm not sure "just play him" is the right course of action. At minimum I'd like to make sure we have someone else who could fill in as a #6 in the event the NHL proves too physically taxing for him.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
I like the player, but don't think he stands a real chance on this squad. We have the best goaltender in the league and every other team knows that most of our Defenseman aren't good at clearing the paint so they abuse that. If Lavy is good at line matchups and puts Jones in a favorable position with Lindy to do the dirty work in front, it would go a long way but I don't want that if it's at the expense of Fox having to do extra work. Otherwise, we need people who can clear the crease and slot and allow Igor to be Igor.

I know it's not what people wanna hear, but it's kinda true. This team needs to get stronger in front of Igor and Jones doesn't represent that. Tired of seeing arguably our most important player get bumped, fallen on and whacked at because our Defenseman aren't doing enough in front.

Hope i'm wrong, he's a great skater and fun to watch. Would suck to see him on another team because I think he's a good one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad