Confirmed with Link: NYR agree 2 year extension with Zac Jones

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Honestly, I thought he looked just as good as Schneider this year. But he was another young D, and he was small, so I get why they decided to send him down. I suspect if we'd kept him on the roster and let him run the second unit instead of Trouba, that would have made a noticeable difference to its effectiveness.

Whether he can manage the 5v5 game in the NHL, we'll see. He hasn't looked completely outclassed yet.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Glad it's a two year deal, not 1. I'm more than okay providing the opportunity for him in training camp. Another off-season of hard work should allow him to get stronger. In saying that, I am hoping Drury signs a veteran d-man that is better than Harpur (and I don't hate Harpur as a #8)

Reactions: egelband

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Signing him has nothing to do with trading him. They still can.

Actually a two year deal might even increase his trade value

Of course...to be clear, I don't have a problem with the signing, I just don't think he has what it takes to make it in the NHL. Pionk was a much better skater with much faster feet.
Jones is a "heady" offensive defenseman who's small and likes to activate, but isn't great along the boards, doesn't have great foot speed, and doesn't have a great shot or elite vision/passing.

He's better than Ben Harpur, but that shouldn't be the barometer around here. Would prefer they find a team that thinks he has upside and acquire a young player back the other way who has skills but is raw and can be coached.

Maybe if he improves his skating and shooting by leaps and bounds, he could be something, but not really holding my breath.

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny
I like this kid. I watched some games in hartford and obvs when he was with the rangers. He can wheel and deal like D'Angelo. Defensive side of the puck remains to be seen.

Reactions: will1066

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
2 years is awesome. Glad he is back. I think the kid can play and I think Trouba would be a great partner for him.

Reactions: duhmetreE

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He's still 22, turning 23 in October.

He looked better 2 seasons ago tbh. Don't know what happened this season but we had poor coaching, so that doesn't help.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
He's still 22, turning 23 in October.

He looked better 2 seasons ago tbh. Don't know what happened this season but we had poor coaching, so that doesn't help.
I understand it may look that way on the surface, but he has legitimately gotten better each year. And every penny counts this year until the cap jump next year.

Reactions: Dijock94

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Still not a fan. Think he has more value as a trade chip. Guy has Mike Mottau/Thomas Pock/Matt Gilroy vibes written all over him. Good in college, decent AHLer, not a good NHLer.
I do get those vibes as well, but I really want him to stick with the team and mature that raw talent and skill set of his. Same goes for Robertson, who reportedly has similar issues making the jump to the next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad