Confirmed with Link: NYR agree 2 year extension with Zac Jones

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Every time I look at this thread he loses an inch from posters.

He looks closer to 5'11" or even 6' on the ice. Be real.
Are you including his skates? I'm all for him becoming a great player one day (hopefully) but if Jones is 6 feet then Barry Beck may have been 6 foot 5 😊

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Every time I look at this thread he loses an inch from posters.

He looks closer to 5'11" or even 6' on the ice. Be real.

In this clip he's same height as Pavelski

There is absolutely no way you view that click and determine these players are the same height. You cannot tell from this clip.

But anyway, it's not so much the height, it's the lower body muscle mass that's going to hinder his ability to fight in the corner, dig out pucks, etc.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The kid is underrated around here. We bitch and moan about our transition game, Jones brings exactly what this team has needed all season. But Neanderthal thinking that defenseman need to be big and lumbering is preventing it from happening. His production has translated from NCAA to AHL. He's looked good in the smidgen of NHL time he's gotten. He needs an extended try out in the NHL. Put him with Trouba. Trouba needs to focus on his own end shutting down opposing players. Stop trying to do too much. Put him with Jones. Let Jones retrieve and move the puck. Let Jones pinch and move the puck. That's what he's good at.

"Can't have two". Rangers last won a Cup with Leetch and Zubov. No, Fox ain't Leetch and Jones ain't Zubov. But the idea of not being able to have more than one puck mover is ridiculous. The Devils won Cups with Rafalski and Niedermayer (not huge).

Jones isn't even THAT small. There's no distinguishable difference between 6 foot and 5-11. It's one inch. And the kid is 22 he can gain pounds as he grows.

The rest of the Rangers D are "big" enough and physical enough. I'd be more concerned with mobility than size.

Sorry but this is a crock of shit in 2023...i mean Adam Fox is dominating the league and they're the same size.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Jones is very 'milktoast' (as a prominent figure on Social Media recently wrote it) to me.

Sure he can move the puck a little bit but I don't see explosive or dynamic offensive ability in him in the Show.

a lot to be desired defensively. not great at reading and staying up on the play (gap control, preventing entries, breaking up plays etc.) and obviously not a phyiscal guy who's gonna box out and clear the crease in front of Igor and let him see the puck consistently off the cycle.

To me right now he's kinda like a Tony Deangelo without the scoring touch...

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If you're small, escapability is WAY more important than getting "stronger." Show me a small defenseman who can't evade pressure at this level and I'll show you a guy who is an NHL/AHL journeyman or a euro league lifer.

This doesn't mean that players shouldn't focus on getting stronger but its best not be in a position to be tied up at all. The successful undersized D in this league all minimize these moments.

Reactions: duhmetreE

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
People are discussing his size like that will be the difference between the Rangers winning or losing the Cup. Rangers are not in that position to begin with.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Jones should get with Phil Housely for advice. Phil wasn't a big guy but is one of only 8 defensemen to score 30 goals in a season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad