Dreger: NYR actively talking to teams about becoming a 3rd party in a potential deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Rangers are still one of the youngest teams in the league - and still have a decent pipeline of prospects. They've positioned themselves where they can move future assets to try and go for it.

Suggesting Kane not being that good the last few years is an incredibly dumb opinion. He finished with 92 points last season which is the third highest in his career. 66P in 56G the previous year. 84P in 70P the year before that.

The Rangers are potentially adding a PPG+ player who's being brought in to not be the main man, but rather a complimentary piece, similar to Tank.

When are deadline adds ever brought in to be the main add...?

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Because you aren't paying it.
I mean the retention on somebody like Meier is SUBSTANTIALLY different then somebody like O'Reilly

Meier has something like the 3rd highest salary in the league and is owed over $3 million left retaining on, and that costs the owner a lot more
I'm not saying money owed is not a factor but its a fairly insignificant one.
At the trade deadline we will be at about 142 of the 186 day season gone so about 44 days left - my counts may be off by a day. Meir will still be owed 10M X 44/186 or about 2.36M in real money. Kane will be owed 2.9M x 44/186 or 686K

A 3rd team assuming 25% of the Cap hit and salary will need to take on 1.5M in Cap space and $590 in real dollars for Meier and 2.625M in Cap hit and 171K in real dollars for Kane,

It will cost more for 25% retention on Kane than it will for Meier. The dollars owed for an NHL team 590K vs 170K is almost meaningless. $400K to an entity worth a billion dollars is like $400 like $40 to you or I. Kane will cost more because you need more cap space to absorb it. Finding the extra 400K is easy finding the extra million in Cap space is what is hard to do.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I have to think teams are gonna look for this loophole to be closed on the next CBA. You should not be able to cheat the cap system

This isn't a loophole and nobody is cheating anything.

The CBA literally has rules about retention and it includes retention being spread across two teams. Clearly not a loophole. The cap is not being cheated in anyway. The full cap hit of the player is still being paid. A third team helping to facilitate in these trades lets clubs that aren't in the playoff picture use their available cap space to add some extra draft picks. Why would teams object to that?

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Seems they dont teach reading comp in PS whatever you went to. No one said the Rags won the offseason, I said winning the ofseason is about as important as winning the TDL. Which is to say it means zero. Trouba is a goon and that was a bad hit in any season (probably should have been out after the bullshit he pulled on Pitt, but thats for another day). What do you mean supposed? Raanta is the Canes 2 goalie. Last post season he was the 1 because Freddie was injured. And by less talented do you mean on pace for about the same points as last years record breaking season, 9 point lead on you vaunted Rags with 2 games in hand, and would be firmly in the lead for the Presidents trophy if the Bruins were not in the middle of an all time season? Yeah they suck!
Oh boy Freddie was hurt last year, freddie was hurt this year, freddie was hurt 2 years ago in Toronto. I see a trend. Guy played 4 games in Feb and one was a beating the Rangers gave him 6-2. Maybe its a bad idea to have a goalie who is hurt constantly be your supposed number 1? Or maybe it's a good idea because you can always use it as an excuse....You are playing 3D chess.

Its funny you say winning the TDL or offeseason gets you nothing but are so proud to finish 2nd in the regular season....lol. okay sure

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Oh boy Freddie was hurt last year, freddie was hurt this year, freddie was hurt 2 years ago in Toronto. I see a trend. Guy played 4 games in Feb and one was a beating the Rangers gave him 6-2. Maybe its a bad idea to have a goalie who is hurt constantly be your supposed number 1? Or maybe it's a good idea because you can always use it as an excuse....You are playing 3D chess.

Its funny you say winning the TDL or offeseason gets you nothing but are so proud to finish 2nd in the regular season....lol. okay sure
11 points up game in hand

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hooked on hockey magazine on facebook has a picture and info that rangers and Chi have a deal done that has kravtsov etc moving to Chi and P.kane to new York
It'll probably happen, but that doesn't mean a random Facebook page nobody has ever heard of has legit sources on this.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Cigar muncher fossil Sather ,coughs up Cuyle , 1st rder , 3rd rder , plus your cap dumps Krapsoff , Leshithispants

You’re gonna get Zack hones, Crapsoft and a middling pick

No leverage with him only wanting NYR so they’re gonna do their legend a favor and ship him to his one preferred destination

• Haha
Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don't see the obsession with real money. Yes it matters to budget teams like arizona who acquire LTIR contracts like weber to reach the floor that have minimal cash value. But the trades we are seeing now to allow a team to fit in a player at the deadline are not about reaching the floor on the cheap, the asset being sold is cap space. That said you are probably right with a 3rd.

Boston paid a 4th to minny for 1.275M of Cap space
Lerafs paid a 5th to them for1.875M of capspace.

25% retention on Kane is 2.625M so probably worth more than a 4th.

Cap space doesn‘t matter because the teams willing to do third party 25% retention on expiring contracts have effectively infinite cap space. It’s all about the real $dollars.

Current cap space:
Arizona: $61m
Anaheim: $53m
Detroit: $53m

Kane retention is worth a 5th with only $156k in actual cash paid out by the third team on 25% retention.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So he’s owed about $900k in real money

Assuming 50% from Chicago
Then the 3rd party does 25% of the next retention

3rd round pick?
It is about 6 figures for the owner

3rd round picks usually go for $400k-$800k in cash.

Third party team retaining 25% at the trade deadline on Kane would only be $165k cash on Kane. That’s 5th round pick territory.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'm not saying money owed is not a factor but its a fairly insignificant one.
At the trade deadline we will be at about 142 of the 186 day season gone so about 44 days left - my counts may be off by a day. Meir will still be owed 10M X 44/186 or about 2.36M in real money. Kane will be owed 2.9M x 44/186 or 686K

A 3rd team assuming 25% of the Cap hit and salary will need to take on 1.5M in Cap space and $590 in real dollars for Meier and 2.625M in Cap hit and 171K in real dollars for Kane,

It will cost more for 25% retention on Kane than it will for Meier. The dollars owed for an NHL team 590K vs 170K is almost meaningless. $400K to an entity worth a billion dollars is like $400 like $40 to you or I. Kane will cost more because you need more cap space to absorb it. Finding the extra 400K is easy finding the extra million in Cap space is what is hard to do.
Real dollars owed is just about everything to a pass thru 3rd party.

sure prior favors and a playoff contender like buffalo or Detroit isn’t helping pittsburgh get better by doing a pass thru.
what is the real dollars this year. Meier is $10M while Kane is 2.9M thsts more than 3x the real salary so a 3rd party likely asks for 3 times as much compensation.

the teams brokering have the cap space to broker a pass thru.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
You’re gonna get Zack hones, Crapsoft and a middling pick

No leverage with him only wanting NYR so they’re gonna do their legend a favor and ship him to his one preferred destination

Considering Jones is listed at many places as their #2 prospect that deal isn’t bad. Add someone with energy to play with kids coming in and the middling pick for a 1st and we got a deal.
3rd round picks usually go for $400k-$800k in cash.

Third party team retaining 25% at the trade deadline on Kane would only be $165k cash on Kane. That’s 5th round pick territory.
Your facts are never in question. I do think the stagnant cap will create short term inflation. Teams were expecting a good bump this year. It not happening creates issues.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Ahh it was so different around here a while back, Rangers would HAVE to give up 2 of Lafreniere,Kakko, Miller or Chytil and a first for the great Patty Kane. Now people are just hoping there is a 2023 1st pick involved.....there won't, those were good times.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Ahh it was so different around here a while back, Rangers would HAVE to give up 2 of Lafreniere,Kakko, Miller or Chytil and a first for the great Patty Kane. Now people are just hoping there is a 2023 1st pick involved.....there won't, those were good times.
Making things up is fun, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad