Dreger: NYR actively talking to teams about becoming a 3rd party in a potential deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It’s pretty much the way of the world with big market teams now. Sometimes they have runs where they draft well sometimes not but usually the talent is coming from elsewhere

Inferring that Kane is joining a talented team with a bunch of home grown is BS though, most (all?) of the talent on the team isn't homegrown (I would consider Fox one, even if he wasn't drafted there).

And what are big markets?

Toronto got Tavares (but at a hefty price), other talent on the team was homegrown (drafted and developed by them).
Montreal? Which big name rental or FA has signified their desire to go there?
Chicago? Yes I see players lining up despite their terrible development
Boston? I mean, having a talented team full of homegrown talent seems to have more impact than "big market"
Tampa? Oh, it's not a big market

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
This just comes off as jealousy because the Canes have done zero. You would be pumped if the Canes actually did something and got Kane or another talented player.

Still hurting from getting bounced by the Rangers last year too huh?
Not at all and not jealous. Winning the TDL is about as high on my list as winning the offseason.

TBH I am still a little hurt about last post season but comfort myself in the knowledge that the Canes had a back up goalie and the Rags had a Veznia caliber goalie and it took the Rags 7 games to end it

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Well, it's not cheating, but it's definitely a loophole. The CBA explicitly prohibits trading cap space and that's what is happening here when you really get down to it.

The question is whether the league is okay with teams exploiting it. It definitely makes things more interesting and entertaining, which is a criticism some people have of the NHL trade deadline compared to the NBA's.

The league has okayed a ton of these 3-way retention trades. If they have concerns the time to voice them has passed. The CBA allows a max of 2 teams to retain on a player - these trades are for retention slots not cap space. Why would the CBA explicitly allows for this scenario if it was not intended? They could have said just 1 retention per player or that net retention can’t exceed 50%? They didn’t though. This one envisioned from the beginning.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I have to think teams are gonna look for this loophole to be closed on the next CBA. You should not be able to cheat the cap system
If they did that then trades would be even more impossible. Every team can do this so who cares.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
This just comes off as jealousy because the Canes have done zero. You would be pumped if the Canes actually did something and got Kane or another talented player.

Still hurting from getting bounced by the Rangers last year too huh?
Hurting as much as NYR is from getting bounced by Tampa last year. Which kind of proves the OPs point. If NYR doesn't win this year then they are out two 1st round picks plus for one swing at the plate.

Carolina will make moves with their Cap space. Dundon won't let assets go to waste and Cap dollars are assets. I look forward to playing a stacked NYR roster. I think it will very much be a Skill versus Will matchup. On paper I would bet on NYR but Brind'Amour has the juice and Carolina does have enough talent to take them down.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
So he’s owed about $900k in real money

Assuming 50% from Chicago
Then the 3rd party does 25% of the next retention

3rd round pick?
It is about 6 figures for the owner

mti79

May 11, 2007
Before they get rid of the ability to have a 3rd team retain salary, I would think they'd find a way to get rid of the trade a bloated contract and/or injured player for "future considerations" aka, a turkey sandwich.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Who would even go out (on the Rangers) to fit in Kane?
No core players. They need to put a player on waivers or trade away to start accumulating cap. Then they need to trade a player (Kravtsov) w/whatever asset package they put together at basically deadline day. If Rangers were trading a core piece they most likely wouldn't be looking for a 3rd team involved for cap.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
So he’s owed about $900k in real money

Assuming 50% from Chicago
Then the 3rd party does 25% of the next retention

3rd round pick?
It is about 6 figures for the owner
I don't see the obsession with real money. Yes it matters to budget teams like arizona who acquire LTIR contracts like weber to reach the floor that have minimal cash value. But the trades we are seeing now to allow a team to fit in a player at the deadline are not about reaching the floor on the cheap, the asset being sold is cap space. That said you are probably right with a 3rd.

Boston paid a 4th to minny for 1.275M of Cap space
Lerafs paid a 5th to them for1.875M of capspace.

25% retention on Kane is 2.625M so probably worth more than a 4th.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Hurting as much as NYR is from getting bounced by Tampa last year. Which kind of proves the OPs point. If NYR doesn't win this year then they are out two 1st round picks plus for one swing at the plate.

Carolina will make moves with their Cap space. Dundon won't let assets go to waste and Cap dollars are assets. I look forward to playing a stacked NYR roster. I think it will very much be a Skill versus Will matchup. On paper I would bet on NYR but Brind'Amour has the juice and Carolina does have enough talent to take them down.
I am not the one crying about what Tampa is giving up in a trade to try and make myself feel better.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The league has okayed a ton of these 3-way retention trades. If they have concerns the time to voice them has passed. The CBA allows a max of 2 teams to retain on a player - these trades are for retention slots not cap space. Why would the CBA explicitly allows for this scenario if it was not intended? They could have said just 1 retention per player or that net retention can’t exceed 50%? They didn’t though. This one envisioned from the beginning.

No, I don't think this is what they were thinking of when they put that in there. The scenario which they probably intended it for was something like this:
-Feb 2020: Kane traded from Chicago to Vegas at 25%.
-Feb 2021: Kane traded from Vegas to NY at 50% of the remaining 75%.

In other words, situations where teams are retaining on their own players. I don't think they intended for it to be used for teams to sell their cap space. And yes, that's 100% what it is. Minnesota says "we have the cap space to take on $1.875m so you don't have to. Give us a 4th round pick for it."

The league really hasn't approved as many of these as you make it sound like. There have been 7 trades like that.

2018: Brassard (this one was a little different because Ottawa didn't retain anything, just Vegas)
2020: Lehner
2021: Savard, Foligno, Janmark
2022: O'Reilly, Orlov

Kane would be number 8 and there might be more this year. The point here would be that this is an escalating situation. One trade every couple of years might be ok with the league. But 3 or maybe more every year? That starts to seem like an abuse.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't see the obsession with real money. Yes it matters to budget teams like arizona who acquire LTIR contracts like weber to reach the floor that have minimal cash value. But the trades we are seeing now to allow a team to fit in a player at the deadline are not about reaching the floor on the cheap, the asset being sold is cap space. That said you are probably right with a 3rd.

It's because teams are essentially buying draft picks. How much is a 5th round pick worth in terms of real money?

Reactions: mouser

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I think these will be fine, but the league has already shown that they are not afraid to retroactively correct the CBA and punish teams for things they don’t like, the Suter and Parise contracts were completely legal at the time until the league adjusted the CBA and deemed them recapture eligible.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Because you aren't paying it.
I mean the retention on somebody like Meier is SUBSTANTIALLY different then somebody like O'Reilly

Meier has something like the 3rd highest salary in the league and is owed over $3 million left retaining on, and that costs the owner a lot more

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Not at all and not jealous. Winning the TDL is about as high on my list as winning the offseason.

TBH I am still a little hurt about last post season but comfort myself in the knowledge that the Canes had a back up goalie and the Rags had a Veznia caliber goalie and it took the Rags 7 games to end it
So the Rangers won the deadline now? Explains your jealousy with that thinking.

I am glad you find comfort and don't think about Trouba running over Jarvis, the disappearance of your best players come playoff time and your "supposed backup goalie" having more starts this year with the same GAA then your savior goalie. Carolina also lost so many key pieces of their team last year and are much less talented. Honestly you should be excited if you get past the 1st round this year.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
As a Hawks fan I'd be willing to take a quantity deal in this case.
2nd+Kravtsov doesn't seem like it's enough, but maybe add Jones and Sykora to that as well as Leschyshyn as a cap dump?

So deal is:

Hawks:
2nd
Kravtsov
Sykora
Jones

Rangers: Kane

3rd team:
Rangers 4th

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
So the Rangers won the deadline now? Explains your jealousy with that thinking.

I am glad you find comfort and don't think about Trouba running over Jarvis, the disappearance of your best players come playoff time and your "supposed backup goalie" having more starts this year with the same GAA then your savior goalie. Carolina also lost so many key pieces of their team last year and are much less talented. Honestly you should be excited if you get past the 1st round this year.
Seems they dont teach reading comp in PS whatever you went to. No one said the Rags won the offseason, I said winning the ofseason is about as important as winning the TDL. Which is to say it means zero. Trouba is a goon and that was a bad hit in any season (probably should have been out after the bullshit he pulled on Pitt, but thats for another day). What do you mean supposed? Raanta is the Canes 2 goalie. Last post season he was the 1 because Freddie was injured. And by less talented do you mean on pace for about the same points as last years record breaking season, 9 point lead on you vaunted Rags with 2 games in hand, and would be firmly in the lead for the Presidents trophy if the Bruins were not in the middle of an all time season? Yeah they suck!

• Haha

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Inferring that Kane is joining a talented team with a bunch of home grown is BS though, most (all?) of the talent on the team isn't homegrown (I would consider Fox one, even if he wasn't drafted there).

And what are big markets?

Toronto got Tavares (but at a hefty price), other talent on the team was homegrown (drafted and developed by them).
Montreal? Which big name rental or FA has signified their desire to go there?
Chicago? Yes I see players lining up despite their terrible development
Boston? I mean, having a talented team full of homegrown talent seems to have more impact than "big market"
Tampa? Oh, it's not a big market
I mean the Rangers do have a bunch of homegrown guys playing major roles on the team:

Kreider
Fox
Miller
Lindgren
Schneider
Chytil
Lafreniere
Kakko
Shesterkin

4 Forwards, 4 Defensemen, 1 starting goalie are all homegrown products. It's basically half the roster.

Zibanejad didn't become the player he was until traded to the Rangers to so that's notable. You could maybe technically include Vesey because he started his career here, but that would be disingenuous.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
As a Canes fan I love the fact the both the Bruins and Rags are dumping assets in a season where the top teams are really really good. Only one team can win and they are dumping the future in a go for it now mode and personally while they both got better they didnt add anything earth shattering. They didnt become juggernauts and the idea that the Bruins are unbeatable now is laughable. Same with the Rags adding a very old Kane who hasnt been that good the last few years doesnt move the needle much.

Rangers are still one of the youngest teams in the league - and still have a decent pipeline of prospects. They've positioned themselves where they can move future assets to try and go for it.

Suggesting Kane not being that good the last few years is an incredibly dumb opinion. He finished with 92 points last season which is the third highest in his career. 66P in 56G the previous year. 84P in 70P the year before that.

The Rangers are potentially adding a PPG+ player who's being brought in to not be the main man, but rather a complimentary piece, similar to Tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig