Who would you rather have on your team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Nylander only because he's proven at the NHL level. Could easily be Pettersson at the end of this upcoming season.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
You're both right but at polar ends of the spectrum. Obviously Nylander is already in the NHL and contributing offensively. His center is the driver of the line and the PP he racks up points on is very good but he's obvously an impact forward.

Nylander was 38th in the NHL in even strength points. You're thinking of last year when he scored a lot more on the PP (although that completely leveled off in the second half of the season when he scored at almost a point per game pace).

Pettersson, better numbers in the SHL, center, I'll take the high risk higher reward

Nylander was a point per game in a half season on the SHL team that got relegated that season. His D+1 season was just as impressive without all the accolades of being on a good team. They are extremely comparable prospects following their D+1 seasons with similar question marks (size, what position they will play, etc).

I lean to the proven guy. Nylander was just as good of a prospect as Pettersson is right now. I don't know why this poll is so lopsided but I guess that's what happens when recency bias kicks in and people start using broad generalizations to attack a player.

Pettersson is one of the best prospects in the world. This isn't a slight on him whatsoever.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Nylander was a point per game in a half season on the SHL team that got relegated that season. His D+1 season was just as impressive without all the accolades of being on a good team. .

LOL just as impressive as setting the U20 scoring record? Just as impressive as winning the points leader and playoff MVP? Just because his team was not great? So by your logic, Boeser is better than Ovechkin because he plays on a terrible team? Is that what youre saying?

Please. Nylander's season is nowhere near Pettersson's

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Hmm...........Nylander, pictured here playing volleyball?

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 10.18.32 PM.png

Or Petterson, pictured here, waiting for his mom to bring him his chocolate milk?

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 10.19.32 PM.png

Reactions: 6ix

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
LOL just as impressive as setting the U20 scoring record? Just as impressive as winning the points leader and playoff MVP? Just because his team was not great? So by your logic, Boeser is better than Ovechkin because he plays on a terrible team? Is that what youre saying?

Please. Nylander's season is nowhere near Pettersson's

Impressive is the wrong word. Pettersson obviously had an amazing season with a lot of accolades and records.

Nylander in his half season that year proved to be arguably the best player in the SHL, just like Pettersson, despite playing on a terrible team. And then he transitioned over to North American ice successfully.

In terms of accolades Pettersson's season was obviously better. In terms of turning into a good NHL player? Nylander's season was just as good.

Please don't reply as I really have no interest in a conversation with someone that has the username of the person I'm arguing 'against'.

Both players are in the same tier of prospect at the time. Nylander has proven his top line abilities in the NHL thus far. We won't know what Petterson has done yet.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I'll do what I want. Dont tell me not to reply. Ignore me
Impressive is the wrong word. Pettersson obviously had an amazing season with a lot of accolades and records.

Nylander in his half season that year proved to be arguably the best player in the SHL, just like Pettersson, despite playing on a terrible team. And then he transitioned over to North American ice successfully.

In terms of accolades Pettersson's season was obviously better. In terms of turning into a good NHL player? Nylander's season was just as good.

Please don't reply as I really have no interest in a conversation with someone that has the username of the person I'm arguing 'against'.

Both players are in the same tier of prospect at the time. Nylander has proven his top line abilities in the NHL thus far. We won't know what Petterson has done yet.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Petterson by a fricking landmile. He's a franchise guy.

Although Nylander is my fav player so Bill it is. But if we're being real Pettersson is better.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
What an awful and pathetic post, can't say I'm surprised tho considering who it's coming from.

Do you also think Ryan Reaves is better than barkov?

This guy is mad :laugh: compares reaves to Barkov :laugh: Nylander is built and skilled. Pettersson is a twig with skill. Nylander led Sweden to gold as MVP at the world hockey championship last year. Peterson injured his twig arm and tapped out, Sweden didn’t even need him lmao.

Hugh Mungus

Feb 1, 2017
nucks nation
This guy is mad :laugh: compares reaves to Barkov :laugh: Nylander is built and skilled. Pettersson is a twig with skill. Nylander led Sweden to gold as MVP at the world hockey championship last year. Peterson injured his twig arm and tapped out, Sweden didn’t even need him lmao.
Lol ever heard of an age Gap? I'd be shocked if pettersson wasn't stronger than nylander by the time he's 22.

And don't talk about skill that's been settled ;)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He densely has the higher ceiling.

Considering Nylander’s ceiling is above a PPG (not to say he’s guaranteed to hitnthat), it’s doubtful that Pettersson has a higher one than that.

It’s fine to prefer him over Nylander (I don’t, mind you) but opinions in this thread are getting to be a wee bit absurd.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Considering Nylander’s ceiling is above a PPG (not to say he’s guaranteed to hitnthat), it’s doubtful that Pettersson has a higher one than that.

It’s fine to prefer him over Nylander (I don’t, mind you) but opinions in this thread are getting to be a wee bit absurd.
it's not doubtful at all. Pettersson has the highest ceiling of a non #1 draft pick in recent memory. His IQ/Passing/Puck handing is elite. His shot is near elite. His skating/speed is excellent. His defensive play is excellent. He has NO weaknesses in his game, skill wise.
Literally the only thing ANYONE can complain about him (if you read Pettersson thread) is that he's too light/weak. You can't say anything about his actual hockey skills. Because of that, his ceiling is MASSIVE. He's the most skilled prospect right now. Will those skills translate to NHL? That you can argue about, but not about his ceiling.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
He densely has the higher ceiling.

.......except you have NOTHING to back that ridiculous statement up.

Both were drafted between the 5th and 8th OA spots in their draft years. Both are/were expected to end up as top line players. Both have very high hockey IQ, good skating, hands, etc.

And we only KNOW that one of them will realize that, because they already have realized it and are a top-line player in the NHL.

The other one? Who knows?

:)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
it's not doubtful at all. Pettersson has the highest ceiling of a non #1 draft pick in recent memory. His IQ/Passing/Puck handing is elite. His shot is near elite. His skating/speed is excellent. His defensive play is excellent. He has NO weaknesses in his game, skill wise.
Literally the only thing ANYONE can complain about him (if you read Pettersson thread) is that he's too light/weak. You can't say anything about his actual hockey skills. Because of that, his ceiling is MASSIVE. He's the most skilled prospect right now. Will those skills translate to NHL? That you can argue about, but not about his ceiling.

When it comes to ceilings there’s not much higher than above PPG (80-90 points) unless you’re in the Crosby/Ovie tier, and neither player discussed in this thread is going to reach those levels.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Ya know whats funny is, once this gets bumped its going to be good. I suspect the usual suspects will be no where to be found.
These are 2 great young players but Nylander is better when they are both at their best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad