Confirmed Signing with Link: Nylander re-signs with Leafs (6.9 million AAV For 6 Years) - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
6.9M is a bit of an artificial number though.... the AAV is technicaly 7.5M but he signed later into the year than at the beginning. he's getting 45M over 6 years.
What's the cap hit? You know...the thing that actually matters in a cap world moving forward?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
That's $7.5M AAV overall. Not a win by Dubas IMO. Last year, $7.5m is exactly what he was expected to be signed for. Not a horrible loss either though.

No, he signed for a 6.996 AAV...the fact that he signed this late into the year is what skews the overall number, but it's still a 6.996 AAV

Reactions: 1specter

Crow

May 19, 2014
Wow good for Nylander. He got paid.

If it doesn’t come together for the leafs this year they are already in cap hell without even winning anything. I guess they didn’t have much of a choice at this juncture. That’s something to worry about next year.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nylander was reported to start at Draisaitl money. You think going from $8.5 million to $6.9 million is less of a drop than 6 to 6.9?

Nylander didn't drop to $6.9 million, he dropped to $7.5 million because the contract he signed was the equivalent of a $7.5 million AAV. Even if you assume that Nylander started at $8.5 million, which I haven't seen an actual source for saying that, Nylander dropped $1 million a year in salary and the Leafs went up $1 million a year in AAV. If you assume that Nylander was asking for what Draisaitl made, both went off of their initial ask about the same, but I haven't seen anything to make that assumption about Nylander.

Reactions: DRW204

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
We can and we will.

So happy Willy is back, Leafs are gonna be EVEN MORE exciting to watch.

Go Leafs!!

Reactions: Leafidelity

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Yeah basically, Nylander lost out on $3 million by sitting out for a third of a season, but he essentially signed a $7.5 million AAV deal.
Yep. If they signed a 6,9m*6 year contract in the summer he would get paid almost exactly the same over the contract and the cap hit would have been almost 100k less every season. Its pretty much like he signed a 6,9m*6 year contract but they just made it a lot more difficult then it needed to be.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
Anyone who thought he was sitting out is clearly an idiot. The question remains if this was a sign and trade

Reactions: LakeLivin

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Nope. The only nervousness was from Leafs fans in this process. It has been a very enjoyable negotiations from my stand point. Can't wait until next summer when Marner is up.
Absolutely, in the mean time, enjoy the best offense in hockey over here in Toronto. We were a top team without an entire top-line. Now that we have said top line - well - I'll let your imagination do the rest.

Very special time to be a Leafs fan.

Reactions: Kelly

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Now that I’m seeing how the contract is structured, this feels like cap circumvention...

Nylander makes in dollars his AAV times the length of the contract. That is not circumvention, that is definition of AAV.

Let me guess, the league has already rejected the contract in your mind, just like Nylander was already sitting out the season Nov. 30. That’s how bias works, right?

Let’s see your bookmarks.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Leafs have a pretty good team. But winning that cup may have to come sooner or later because their roster has cap hell written all over it.

The core pieces will be fine to sign, its just trying to find good peripheral pieces to compliment them. Winnipeg is probably going to be the first to have to blow up something big with Laine, Trouba and Connor + coming up next year. This is Winnipegs win now year.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Nylander didn't drop to $6.9 million, he dropped to $7.5 million because the contract he signed was the equivalent of a $7.5 million AAV. Even if you assume that Nylander started at $8.5 million, which I haven't seen an actual source for saying that, Nylander dropped $1 million a year in salary and the Leafs went up $1 million a year in AAV. If you assume that Nylander was asking for what Draisaitl made, both went off of their initial ask about the same, but I haven't seen anything to make that assumption about Nylander.

Reactions: HarrisonFord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad