Confirmed Signing with Link: Nylander re-signs with Leafs (6.9 million AAV For 6 Years) - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What's the cap hit? You know...the thing that actually matters in a cap world moving forward?
that's not the point you were making though. and i agree with the cap hit is the # that matters.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Nylander didn't drop to $6.9 million, he dropped to $7.5 million because the contract he signed was the equivalent of a $7.5 million AAV. Even if you assume that Nylander started at $8.5 million, which I haven't seen an actual source for saying that, Nylander dropped $1 million a year in salary and the Leafs went up $1 million a year in AAV. If you assume that Nylander was asking for what Draisaitl made, both went off of their initial ask about the same, but I haven't seen anything to make that assumption about Nylander.
The same way you're using the reported $6 million the Leafs started with, the same people reported Nylander started with LD money.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
People who doubt Dubas just continue to get dummied. I can't believe the Leafs are lucky to have a good management, coach and team at the same time. They have a window of 10+ years right now.

Tavares signed? Check.
Nylander signed? Check.

Marner and Matthews to go.

We can and we will.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The core pieces will be fine to sign, its just trying to find good peripheral pieces to compliment them. Winnipeg is probably going to be the first to have to blow up something big with Laine, Trouba and Connor + coming up next year. This is Winnipegs win now year.

You’ll have half your cap tied up in 4 forwards as soon as next season.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
6.9M is a bit of an artificial number though.... the AAV is technicaly 7.5M but he signed later into the year than at the beginning. he's getting 45M over 6 years.
But he is only getting 41-42 million of it. So his real AAV in terms of what he actually gets is 6,9ish.

Reactions: HarrisonFord

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It was hoped that Nylander would sign for around 7m/year at the start of this year. We got the cap-hit we were hoping, but we didn't end up saving any $ despite him missing 25 games this year. So I think it is an "okay" contract for now (with the potential to be good - very good moving forward).

It's in no way a new market standard considering it's only slightly above players who have signed recently (Ehlers/Larkin/Pastrnak) and he probably falls somewhere in the middle of those three right now.

Well there was never any way to get a $7m cap hit and pay any less than $42m on a 6yr contract any way, so not a problem.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I just came for the comedy, but I keep seeing 6.9 and 6-range. If all I've seen is correct, his cap hit starting next year is $7M. I'm not going to say $20k puts him in a diff range than the guys who are at $7m.

The Leafs get a manageable cap hit and Nylander gets a big year one salary. Dubas mocks social media insiders on twitter. Leafs fans laugh at haters in trade thread. Seems to me that everyone won today. Especially the 3rd place Leafs adding another star winger.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I'm not trying to be an ass, but even with your insanely good young group of players, you've still won nothing in 50 years. You have nothing to be hated for at the moment.

You overpaid for Nylander. The fact that the best you can come up with is calling folks saying that, "Haters" kinda just verifies it.

The current crop of players/coaches and managment have nothing to do with that past.
I would say the overpay, isn't particularly daunting.

The fact the your brought up the drought, shows your hate.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And if you consider it a loss I dont know what to tell you.

I never said it was a loss, I think $7 million was completely fair for Nylander. I just keep seeing Leafs fans screaming about "UNDER $7 MILLION, SO IT'S A WIN!!!!", which makes literally no sense seeing how he's basically at $7 million.

The same way you're using the reported $6 million the Leafs started with, the same people reported Nylander started with LD money.

Do you have a source? Because until you do, I'm just going to assume you're only saying this to make it look better for the Leafs.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
No, he signed for a 6.996 AAV...the fact that he signed this late into the year is what skews the overall number, but it's still a 6.996 AAV

That's from year 2 to 6. First year it's 10.2 million. Nylander doesn't care about "cap" he wanted to get fairly paid and is making an average 7.5m a year regardless of how much is front loaded in bonuses.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
6.9M is a bit of an artificial number though.... the AAV is technicaly 7.5M but he signed later into the year than at the beginning. he's getting 45M over 6 years.

7.5 is the artificial number. 6.96 is the real number. That is what he makes divided by term.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Nylander didn't drop to $6.9 million, he dropped to $7.5 million because the contract he signed was the equivalent of a $7.5 million AAV. Even if you assume that Nylander started at $8.5 million, which I haven't seen an actual source for saying that, Nylander dropped $1 million a year in salary and the Leafs went up $1 million a year in AAV. If you assume that Nylander was asking for what Draisaitl made, both went off of their initial ask about the same, but I haven't seen anything to make that assumption about Nylander.

Do you think Nylander cared about getting 7.5m cash or caphit?

Because if it is cash, then he got 6.9 per year for 6 years. If it is caphit, then you can argue either way. However, players don't care what their caphit is as long as they get the $ they think they deserve.

If the starting #'s truly were 6 and 8.5 (who knows at this point though), then Dubas caved less than the Nylander camp did.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Toronto looks to have received largely what they wanted. Market value deal. Now both sides can move on and play for a Cup.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I may be the only one but I think it makes more sense to move Nylander and that cap hit and keep Kapanen on the top two lines doing what he is doing at less than half the price. He is a very good offensive player and much better defensively.

Just makes everything easier for the Leafs going forward cap wise.

Nylander is one of the best 5v5 wingers in the league. He's an elite player. You don't trade elite players.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I never said it was a loss, I think $7 million was completely fair for Nylander. I just keep seeing Leafs fans screaming about "UNDER $7 MILLION, SO IT'S A WIN!!!!", which makes literally no sense seeing how he's basically at $7 million.

Because he wanted 8 plus? Most of us were happy with anything under 7, which this is.

Reactions: BayStBullies

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That's from year 2 to 6. First year it's 10.2 million. Nylander doesn't care about "cap" he wanted to get fairly paid and is making an average 7.5m a year regardless of how much is front loaded in bonuses.
Except he's not

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
He wouldn't have got that offer in August. The only reason it's 7.5 is because that number doesn't matter, so they could hike up the year 1 number knowing he loses 3-4 million of it, so they got Nylander a big number money in year 1 not caring what that starting number ended up at. Nyl;ander also only gets 6.9 million on average, yes he starts at 7.5 but the huge year 1 salary results in him losing between 3 and 4 million, that drops him below 42 million in pocket down to the 6.9 average. The cap formula were specifically designed so that happens. Learn something new every day eh?

The cap in year 1 is only 10.2 because it has to be like to get it to count properly because it's pro-rated. He's only on the roster for 127/186 of the season. Multiply that by 10.2 and oh look 6.9, the same number as years 2+, as if that's exactly how it designed to work or something. Shocking I tell you.

Any other questions? Still not going to address the gloating which was all I initially commented on? Have a nice day. Unfortunately Nylander signed so you probably won't
Lol. Welcome to sports bud, not gunna hold your hand when we dont cheer for the same team. I got it wrong and i jumped the gun but id do it again cause its just to much fun. Also 1 last question, did willy get 41.4 million? If he did that makes it 6.9 over 6 years and I have legitimately no idea why he held out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest