Confirmed Signing with Link: Nylander re-signs with Leafs (6.9 million AAV For 6 Years) - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
It was hoped that Nylander would sign for around 7m/year at the start of this year. We got the cap-hit we were hoping, but we didn't end up saving any $ despite him missing 25 games this year. So I think it is an "okay" contract for now (with the potential to be good - very good moving forward).

It's in no way a new market standard considering it's only slightly above players who have signed recently (Ehlers/Larkin/Pastrnak) and he probably falls somewhere in the middle of those three right now.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Impossible to judge whether it's a good deal minutes after it's signed. But going by expected inflation, in a few seasons Leaf fans could be looking at his deal the way Boston fans are looking at Pastrnak's. Far more likely than the opposite: A few seasons from now it's clear Nylander was grossly overpaid.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
And i congratulated you guys on that. Thats the only thing leafs were worried about. While the only thing nylander was worried about was money. Both got ir right

The most accurate post in the thread. Both sides are very happy right now. Hope Willy flies home first class with all that cheddar.

Reactions: TheNewKid

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
There was no agreement. I said I would gladly do so but I never actually did.

Sorry guys, but EK is here to stay. :)
Just a question. Are you more of a Sharks fan or Leafs hater? I have only ever seen you comment (negatively) on Leafs related material. You have a signature on your account related to the Leafs. It just seems like you're more devoted to hating this team than liking yours.

And just an FYI, you don't help your statement that there's no anti-Leafs bias. You actually have one.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Keeping him in the 6 range is huge. Especially when he was supposedly coming in asking 8.
I just came for the comedy, but I keep seeing 6.9 and 6-range. If all I've seen is correct, his cap hit starting next year is $7M. I'm not going to say $20k puts him in a diff range than the guys who are at $7m.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Let me see if I get this. If CapFriendly is correct, Nylander gets an average of $7.5m per year for 6 years. Leafs cap hit after this year (when it counts) is $7m per.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It didnt need to be hard to get that cap hit? He is now getting 41-42m of the 45 in his contract which is 7,5m*6. Cap hit 6,996 in years 2-6.
Why didnt they just sign a 6,9m*6 years contract in the summer and they would have a slightly lower cap hit and Nylander would get almost the exact same amount of money give or take 100k or something over the whole contract.

Because Nylander wouldn’t sign that is my guess?

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Impossible to judge whether it's a good deal minutes after it's signed. But going by expected inflation, in a few seasons Leaf fans could be looking at his deal the way Boston fans are looking at Pastrnak's. Far more likely than the opposite: A few seasons from now it's clear Nylander was grossly overpaid.
thats it, I agree, it certainly can go both ways, as a leaf fan hoping his contract is a steal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Let me see if I get this. If CapFriendly is correct, Nylander gets an average of $7.5m per year for 6 years. Leafs cap hit after this year (when it counts) is $7m per.

Yeah basically, Nylander lost out on $3 million by sitting out for a third of a season, but he essentially signed a $7.5 million AAV deal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cap friendly is currently showing $2 mill in SB and $10 mill in salary for this season.

Leafs are about 1/3 through the year . So, Nylander would get around $6.7 of that $10 million salary along with his $2 million signing bonus to get him to $8.7 cash this year? Then $33 mill over the next 5 years.

Interesting structure.

Nylander made sure he got more cash than Pasternak.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dude, this reeks of nervousness. I understand the folks are a bit shook here but it's going to be fun watching the best offense in hockey put the work in. We will be witnessing some very, very special things in Toronto.
Nope. The only nervousness was from Leafs fans in this process. It has been a very enjoyable negotiations from my stand point. Can't wait until next summer when Marner is up.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
yup all that matters is the 7 mil part, which people keep failing to realize.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
10M is his salary for the year, but he already lost over 20 games of that salary, which brings the total down to 6.77. The other 2 M is the signing bonus. Technically his contract pays 12M, but he won't be seeing that total due to holding out. Still a huge pay day, but the relatively small, still sizeable, bonus is what allowed the cap hit to drop to 6.9 for the remaining years.

Hmm, that seems way better. Now it seems like a really good deal for the team.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Watch after all this he won't be as productive and the leafs will be in cap hell within the next year or 2 good luck with that especially because your team is over hyped and won't win the cup. My money is on either Winnipeg or Nashville and out of the East tampa. Leafs won't get past the first round.

Why do you think this is appropriate to post here?

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
That's $7.5M AAV overall. Not a win by Dubas IMO. Last year, $7.5m is exactly what he was expected to be signed for. Not a horrible loss either though.

It's not though?

Leafs would view this contract and him signing 6.9x6 at the start of the year in a very similar manner. Who cares about $ (BTW he still only gets ~42m over 6 years, aka 7m) since caphit is all that we care about.

Edit: The only difference is we missed him for the first 25ish games and basically had to pay him for it. However, it didn't affect us negatively in the first 25 games so, oh well.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
6X7 is what I was expecting months ago. Fair deal. Amazing that the Leafs offense just added another elite talent

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Nylander was reported to start at Draisaitl money. You think going from $8.5 million to $6.9 million is less of a drop than 6 to 6.9?
6.9M is a bit of an artificial number though.... the AAV is technicaly 7.5M but he signed later into the year than at the beginning. he's getting 45M over 6 years.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Genuinely curious, what happened to brown? Leafs fans were in love with him a year ago
he scored 20 goals as a rookie, and I guess it led to high expectations. he's still pretty decent defensively and can skate and kill penalties, but he's super replaceable because he doesn't bring any offense. he makes 2 million a year and could be easily replaced by an ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad