Speculation: Nylander, I'm calling you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Lmao how? You are worried about Nylander’s performance lately and if he'll show up for playoffs. I pointed out that his last 3 series has been excellent, so I am not worried. I am more worried about the others I mentioned who have had subpar performances by their standards.

Marner and Matthews have 39 games played and 33 points, Nylander has 39 games played and 30 points in their careers. Over the past 6 playoff runs they've been nearly the same... but also not good enough.

Tavares has similar playoff production over his longer career. He has 36 career playoff points but in 44 games.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They're playing for their compensation.

1680893702229.png

NHLPA contacted Nylander and told him he's making others look bad, so "Knock it Off!"

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
The difference between Nylander and the rest of the core being off their game is that Nylander's drop off in effort is way more drastic.

He's had an impressively consistent season up until the deadline. Thought he had erased these stretches of checking out from his game. Since then he's completely stopped moving his feet. Making lackadaisical plays all over the ice and gives up on 50/50 pucks early.

Being in a slump is one thing, but after admitting that your play is "dead" you'd expect him to fight through struggles via effort. He was a monster on the puck earlier in the year with an endless motor and attacked the inside, but now coincidentally the playoffs are near and the timid play emerges.

Reactions: DarkKnight

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
If he's the antonym.. Then what is Marner?
Nylander has 8 goals and 15 points in the last 14 playoff games (2 series)

Marner has 2 goals and 12 points in the last 14 playoff games (2 series)

Nylander didn't have Tavares vs Montreal either. While Marner has had Matthews throughout both series.

Marner is the Antonym of killer instinct.

Great post.

The over reactions on here are deplorable.

Nylander always shows up for the playoffs.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Dont know about Nylander, but some players have a realy hard time fooling themselfs that nothing games realy matter. It is not ok but it is what it is, without knowing if this is what that is.. Or something...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dont know about Nylander, but some players have a realy hard time fooling themselfs that nothing games realy matter. It is not ok but it is what it is, without knowing if this is what that is.. Or something...

It seems he is not motivated.

Set his career high and then more or less shut it down.

But let's be honest, it really doesn't matter what he does in Toronto. He's never going to be fawned over like the other 2. He does have nothing to play for right now.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Marner and Matthews have 39 games played and 33 points, Nylander has 39 games played and 30 points in their careers. Over the past 6 playoff runs they've been nearly the same... but also not good enough.

Tavares has similar playoff production over his longer career. He has 36 career playoff points but in 44 games.
Nylander's pretty consistent throughout every series and you know his production is going to be close to ppg. Marner, Tavares and Matthews are paid 4M more than him and in the case of MM and AM, we've seen them disappear in games or not be consistent throughout the entire series. They haven't exactly been the difference makers like we've seen from the other superstars in the league come playoff time.

Reactions: glue

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Shanahan hit the nail on the head with no killer instinct statement. Yesterday anyone who has watched this team for the past few years knew that Boston was gonna tie it and end it in OT. They just cannot defend a lead. They don't have the urgency in their game. They don't seem to care either. Is it the coach? Maybe. Is it the core? Maybe. Probably a combination of the two though.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
It seems he is not motivated.

Set his career high and then more or less shut it down.

But let's be honest, it really doesn't matter what he does in Toronto. He's never going to be fawned over like the other 2. He does have nothing to play for right now.
What happened to the concept of earning your pay?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Shanahan hit the nail on the head with no killer instinct statement. Yesterday anyone who has watched this team for the past few years knew that Boston was gonna tie it and end it in OT. They just cannot defend a lead. They don't have the urgency in their game. They don't seem to care either. Is it the coach? Maybe. Is it the core? Maybe. Probably a combination of the two though.

Urgency is often lacking in a few categories on the team.
Offense
Defense
Whatever's in the middle.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
They're playing for their compensation.

View attachment 683457

NHLPA contacted Nylander and told him he's making others look bad, so "Knock it Off!"

Calle Jarkrok Cap hit per point is $56,757, what is the point of the above illustration?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Lmao how? You are worried about Nylander’s performance lately and if he'll show up for playoffs. I pointed out that his last 3 series has been excellent, so I am not worried. I am more worried about the others I mentioned who have had subpar performances by their standards.
Yes you keep mentioning other players in a Nylander thread. That's what I'm talking about. Here's what might give you a proper outlet: start a thread about Marner and Matthews.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Why do you need to tell people you ignored this thread? Is there a needy hero award, that I'm not aware of, that you are angling for?
it's one the biggest traits of the weak.

it's one thing to not be able to scroll past posts, and actually need to use the ignore.

it's a whole other level of weakness to actually brag about using the ignore.

Reactions: Jojalu and Hellcat

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
How do you evaluate a player?
Does it involve comparing player A to nothing?
I'm not trying to make a contentious point or split hairs. In my opinion deflecting Nylander is symbolic of parents disciplining their teenagers. A teen might deflect in the hopes of getting less heat/less trouble.

"Hey Willy you're dogging it out there."

"Well Auston and Mitch didn't end up on the score sheet either. Shouldn't they get in trouble too!"

Maybe I got it all wrong and every key player is going half speed now. Maybe it's just that Nylander's effort/body language tends to look worse.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I'm just hoping he's getting it out of his system now. I watched the game on delay, but had the same observation, that it was one of his floating, half assed effort streaks. He showed up last playoffs and hope he does again.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I'm just hoping he's getting it out of his system now. I watched the game on delay, but had the same observation, that it was one of his floating, half assed effort streaks. He showed up last playoffs and hope he does again.
I think he's just coasting for the playoffs tbh. He used to do it a lot and i think its just his kind of thing...as long he's good in the playoffs i wouldn't care.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Nylander's pretty consistent throughout every series and you know his production is going to be close to ppg. Marner, Tavares and Matthews are paid 4M more than him and in the case of MM and AM, we've seen them disappear in games or not be consistent throughout the entire series. They haven't exactly been the difference makers like we've seen from the other superstars in the league come playoff time.
Disappear? They were the best forwards on both teams last year. What a joke post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad